iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing my sawmill setup

Started by Deese, March 07, 2017, 11:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

If you are not worried about permanent lighting the quickest and probably cheapest setup I can think of is a deep cycle 12 volt battery and some offroad led light bars from amazon.

I actually adapted some of those lights to work using a computer power supply plugged into 110 outlet. I have them mounted on my house and am using them for flood lights. I flip on the switch and it becomes daylight.

The deep cycle battery lasts a pretty long time and when it does start to get low just take it home and throw it on charge overnight.

47sawdust

the battery on your mill will power all the LED lights you need for around the mill.The 4 post design has all kinds of possibilities for lights.My mill shed has no power.I have 2 lights mounted on the mill and will be adding a 2'and a4' led strip light.The shed itself has a solar panel powering 4 more lights.
If you are committed to running 110 volt up to the mill,200 feet isn't that far.I would look on CL for someone selling some entrance cable for cheap.You could have power for lights,hydraulic power pack and more.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Deese

My mill doesn't have a battery. I'm thinking the extension cord is my best bet. But could I seriously run 2 or 3 3500-5000 lumen led lights from one or two 12 volt truck batteries? About how long would the lights before needing a recharge? And how long would the batteries last before not holding a good charge? I'm just really curious at this point
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Crusarius

The led's use almost no power. you could get a long time on one charge. Would only need 1 battery.

For an example I have a UTV that I added a plow to that uses the winch to raise and lower the plow. The factory battery would only lift the plow about 8 times before it got to low to run the fuel injection. I had a deep cycle battery from my popup camper that I installed under the seat and wired the winch direct to it. No connection to the UTV at all. complete standalone plow system. I can run that setup about a month before I really need to start thinking about charging the battery. My driveway is a 1/4 mile long and I raise an lower the plow quite a bit while cleaning out.

The LED on the battery should last 3 months before you really need to worry about charging it. I use a 20" bar for my house flood light. Best floodlight I have ever had.

If I were you I would get 2 or 4 6" flood pattern put them on a pole connected to the battery and put some wheels under it for easy moving. I bet you be very happy with that setup.

If you do I want to see pics :)

francismilker

Deere,
The voltage drop calculator I looked at says you'll need an 8 gauge cord to supply 10 amps at 200'. Idk what your work lights will demand but you might look at the box they come in for max wattage before running power.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Crusarius

The 20" Nilight LEd combo light bar I purchased off amazon has a 7.8 amp draw. I am not an electronics guy so I cannot tell you how that will equate to time of use off a battery. All I can tell you is my computer power supply I am using to power it could handle 2 lights without a problem.

ChugiakTinkerer

If you search for "led work light" you'll find a load of options with many in the 4000 to 7000 lumen range.  The typical power consumption on those is in the ballpark of 1 watt for every 100 lumens of illumination.  If you want two lights at 5,000 lumens each you'll need about 100 watts of power.  An extension cord running 110v could supply that without breaking a sweat.  Or, if you went the DC route, a 12v battery would be drawing 8.3 amps.  Running the lights on the battery for two hours would use up 16.6 amp-hours of charge.  I believe a decent deep cycle battery in the 100 amp-hour range can be had at a reasonable price.  You wouldn't want to drain the battery too far, as deeper discharge cycles shorten the life of the battery.  If you do opt for DC, you can probably find 12v led units that serve your needs but draw much less power.
Woodland Mills HM130

Sixacresand

My goal to handle heavy stuff off the mill is to build a big arch wide and tall enough to straddle my mill and trailers.  Like rolling gantry.    My Craftsman garden tractor can moved almost anything that I can off the ground with an arch.  And if the craftsman won't move, then I can use the truck.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

EZland

As for lights i was using one those HF $90 generators for two years for my lighting.  I ran some temp construction strings overhead on one side and one two head halogen for task light.  I would also wear a headlamp too and use it in dark spots or when the generator ran out of gas.

It allowed me to saw in the hot days in GA.
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Deese

I just ordered a 5000 lumen led headlamp from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I found 2 of my Coleman gasoline lanterns in storage and got them going last night. Those jokers put off some decent lighting when elevated. I'm going to do a trial run tomorrow after work. Many logs waiting to face the blade this weekend. I'm excited.

Cooks AE4P Edger

plantman

Hey Deese, how do you like that EZ Boardwalk ? I was thinking about getting one of those.

TKehl

Quote from: Deese on March 16, 2017, 01:20:00 PM
I just ordered a 5000 lumen led headlamp from Amazon.

Not to stray off topic, but I'm sold on the Energizer Hardcase Pro headlamps (have not tried their lower grade one).  I've tried a bunch of headlamps, but have relied on the Hardcase for doing chores on the farm the last two years.  It's the only one I've found that holds up, is quite bright, and has a long battery life.

Appreciate any reviews on the lamp you get.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Deese

Quote from: plantman on March 17, 2017, 03:04:15 PM
Hey Deese, how do you like that EZ Boardwalk ? I was thinking about getting one of those.

It's a good choice if you are looking for a well built, medium sized manual mill.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!