iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw issues ?

Started by alabama, March 07, 2017, 12:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

I started up a ms391 this afternoon and the chain kept spinning even with the throttle not being held. Anyone had this issue?
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Woodcutter_Mo

Most likely either the idle is too high, or there is something wrong with the clutch such as a broken or worn out spring.
If the idle is high, first make sure it isn't running lean. If it's running lean, I wouldn't use it until that is adressed. Make sure there are no air leaks ect, and obviously that the carb adjustments are correct. If it isn't running lean, turn the idle down a tad and see if that helps.
If the idle is correct, open up the clutch and have a look. Once in a while a spring will break.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Jesper Jepsen

Agree wit Woodcutter_Mo if the saw don't rev up but the engine is running idle then after you have had it rev up a couple of times is probably the idle setting that are to high.
I have had an old husky saw running wild on me because of a spring broke so it would run full throttle regardless if I held the throttle or not not even the chain brake could stall the saw not a pleasant thing and surely not safe by any means.

Jesper

limbwood

take off cover and check sprocket, i have seen wire, grass, ect. wound around behind washer so tight it will spin chain. or could be broken clutch springs.

ButchC

Could also be the needle bearing under the drum is dry and trying to seize. Supposed to be greased, but almost nobody ever services them.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

DelawhereJoe

Could the hi idle be on...? Was the chain running like full or part throttle or was it just turning ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

alabama

I'll check this afternoon when I get home. I've ran many chainsaws and never had this issue. It was strange to say the least. This is a chainsaw that has never touched wood and is new but a year old.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Thank You Sponsors!