iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 06, 2017, 09:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Thank God I wasn't in the intersection when you ran that stop sign. It would have been a crying shame for me to be the one to have ruined your perfect record.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: gww on March 15, 2017, 11:27:11 PM
Brian
You have never looked at directions that you have writen on a napkin or a map while you were moving?  I don't have a text plan and don't really know how to send one but I have been multi tasking lots of times while driving.  I do talk on the phone all the time while on the road.  If I ever mess up, yes it will be an accident because I haven't messed up yet and that time will be differrent for some reason.

No, I do not read maps or anything else while I'm driving.  I pull off to a safe place if I need to refer to directions or a map.  I totally understand that you can cover hundreds of feet at speed when you take your eyes off the road for only a few seconds.  I respect that my 5000 lb vehicle can be a weapon of mass destruction and has lethal force if I hit a pedestrian, bicyclist, or another vehicle.  If you ever "mess up" it is not an "accident" because you are deliberately exercising unsafe behavior and fully know that it can have deadly consequences--you just don't care.

I don't know one person who hasn't answered their phone while driving or called somebody.  Some try not to more then others but I do not know one that hasn't did it.

Now you do.  I never answer or talk on my phone while I'm driving.  I make calls before I leave.  No call is so important that it can't wait until I get home or to where I'm going when it is safe for me to talk without endangering the people around me.

Or eating a hamburger and driving a stick shift if you want to get right down to it.

You think driving a manual transmission is distracted driving?  Neither my wife nor I have ever owned an automatic vehicle.  It's exactly the opposite—it makes you drive your car instead of trying to hold your coffee, eat your hamburger, read your map, or talk/text on the phone while driving.

Your logic is baffling to me.  It seems you are more concerned that rules of the road take away your "freedom" or might make you a "criminal" than understanding that driver safety and other people's lives actually matter.  Frankly, I don't know how I could live with myself if I killed someone because I was doing something stupid while driving.  I'm now going to recuse myself before I say anything inappropriate.
e aho laula

paul case

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on March 16, 2017, 12:30:07 PM
Brian
You have never looked at directions that you have writen on a napkin or a map while you were moving?  I don't have a text plan and don't really know how to send one but I have been multi tasking lots of times while driving.  I do talk on the phone all the time while on the road.  If I ever mess up, yes it will be an accident because I haven't messed up yet and that time will be differrent for some reason.

No, I do not read maps or anything else while I'm driving.  I pull off to a safe place if I need to refer to directions or a map.  I totally understand that you can cover hundreds of feet at speed when you take your eyes off the road for only a few seconds.  I respect that my 5000 lb vehicle can be a weapon of mass destruction and has lethal force if I hit a pedestrian, bicyclist, or another vehicle.  If you ever "mess up" it is not an "accident" because you are deliberately exercising unsafe behavior and fully know that it can have deadly consequences--you just don't care.

I don't know one person who hasn't answered their phone while driving or called somebody.  Some try not to more then others but I do not know one that hasn't did it.

Now you do.  I never answer or talk on my phone while I'm driving.  I make calls before I leave.  No call is so important that it can't wait until I get home or to where I'm going when it is safe for me to talk without endangering the people around me.

Or eating a hamburger and driving a stick shift if you want to get right down to it.

You think driving a manual transmission is distracted driving?  Neither my wife nor I have ever owned an automatic vehicle.  It's exactly the opposite—it makes you drive your car instead of trying to hold your coffee, eat your hamburger, read your map, or talk/text on the phone while driving.

Your logic is baffling to me.  It seems you are more concerned that rules of the road take away your "freedom" or might make you a "criminal" than understanding that driver safety and other people's lives actually matter.  Frankly, I don't know how I could live with myself if I killed someone because I was doing something stupid while driving.  I'm now going to recuse myself before I say anything inappropriate.

SAME.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

gww

Jeff
QuoteThank God I wasn't in the intersection when you ran that stop sign. It would have been a crying shame for me to be the one to have ruined your perfect record.

I am glad you were not at the intersection also.  That is why I stop 99.9 percent of the time and wish that I could say that I stoped 100 percent of the time never made a mistake.  That is how accidents happen at times that even people with the best intentions and practices can mess up some how.  It is the same thing as the guy who has used the table saw for 50 years and then messed up, it's not that he didn't know how to use it.  He just didn't know how to use it once.  I guess if he added up all the beutiful things he built over 50 year against the broken finger from a kick back, he would have to decide if the risk would have been worth the creation if he got a chance to do it again.

brian
QuoteFrankly, I don't know how I could live with myself if I killed someone because I was doing something stupid while driving.

I agree one thousand percent with this and feel the same way.

Now to the rest of you post.  Good for you but I just wonder if a poll was taken and answered honestly buy everyone who participated in this thread of how many live by the standard that you have decided for yourself and promote as being correct?  I am not saying I know the answer that question but you guys do.  I am not saying that the question should be to the standard that I am recieving push back on but to the standard that brian has for hisself.

How many people religiously live by these standards below?

QuoteNo, I do not read maps or anything else while I'm driving.

QuoteI never answer or talk on my phone while I'm driving.

QuoteNeither my wife nor I have ever owned an automatic vehicle.  It's exactly the opposite—it makes you drive your car instead of trying to hold your coffee, eat your hamburger, read your map, or talk/text on the phone while driving.

You guys know what you do and don't do. I don't know unless you tell me.

I know of the people I know that no one has that standard.  When we were young and gas was sometimes as low as $0.35, we used to live on the back roads and driving around was our intertainment.  We would spend a week in the car with lunches and driving the backroads looking for mushrooms.  I have always lived pretty far in the boonies and to get anywhere you had to pack a lunch and make a day of it.  Driving was intertainment but that didn't mean we didn't take it as a responcibility also. 

Maby it is where I live and the attitudes of that area, but I know no one that does not make life pretty decent for themselves and they are not out there killing people.

My experiances just say that most people I know use the car to get where they need to go and usually grab a lunch and eat, listen to the radio or answer the phone while they do it.

This is my truth based on my life.
Cheers
gww
Ps I see that while typing this that paul has answered the above question for hisself.  That is two now.

Gearbox

I have just one quick comment . stay away from big trucks . The ones with the little satellite dish on top . They have the ability to be dispatched while on the go . You think cell phones are bad try typing while going down the roar at 65 MPH . See why I say stay away from trucks .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

gww

Gearbox
Yes, alot of the gass companies and maby the ups and lots of delivery type buinesses are putting what they call Kanban sytems on everything that the employees have to enter data after every job and also look for the next job.  It makes it easy for the company to gain data on how long things take to do and lets them keep track of employees and the data lets them add work in areas where room is found.  I even saw a documetory where they had them on trash trucks to track the employees. At work they put them on forktrucks and also put little stations of radio feeds to that told when the truck went by so they could track what was being put in by the employee compared to what the auto feed back was saying.

They used to try and stop cell phone use at work but still wanted the employee to use it to call if they had a breakdown.  They claimed safety but since the supervisors lived by the phone to run the plant, their claims rang a little untrue.

I have seen people diciplined for using a phone and also diciplined for not using one because he didn't use it to call for a break down.

I may not be right in my views on things but got those views by living life.
Cheers
gww

Ps I bet mcdonalds has enough money to buy legislators votes to block any effort made to stop people from eating in their cars. :D

Thank You Sponsors!