iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 06, 2017, 09:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wick

I am sick of vehicles coming at me.....In my lane!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch where you are going people. We have no choice but to be defensive driver's.
It's almost like a game of dodge ball............a deadly game   >:( >:(
Timber Harvester 30HT25

paul case

Quote from: gww on March 15, 2017, 01:22:00 PM

I am not saying that it is not sad when mistakes are made and people hurt them selve and others.  Just that you are not guilty of anything if you have not hurt anyone.

Cheers
gww

I am afraid you may mean different that what I read. If so I apologize in advance.
What you said is not so.
It is wrong to break the law , If you get caught or not.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

gww

paul
QuoteAlthough an increasing number of states are placing restrictions on cell phone usage, Missouri has no law regarding the use of cell phones while driving. The state does, however, ban texting for 21 years of age or younger.
Yes, some might be breaking a law,  I am just avocating that they don't make another stupid law that I might break and make me a criminal which I am not right now.  I like it better when they don't make a bunch of people criminals when they have lived a bunch of years and hurt no one and were not criminals for those years untill somebody legislate them into being one.

You 40 something states that have to live with this kinda junk should try and get rid of it, cause I am sure it is not changing anything but how much your state makes in fine money.  Go out and look on the roads and see what the public thinks of it by the actions they are really taking. 

There are lots of things that common sense says you should not be doing but may not should be made a law.

I think they ought to make a law against the guy who is in the fast lane going slow beside another slow car in the slow lane that is talking to somebody in the passanger seat and not paying attention.

Or one against the guy who is wiping the coffee he spilt on his seat while driving. 

Or the one,

Or

Cheers
gww

paul case

I believe it was Will Rogers that said''What this country needs is more unemployed politicians''.

Wasn't he from The Great State of Oklahoma?
My apologies for the hijacking of this thread.

PC

Ps. Don't Text While Driving.
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

goose63

Quote from: Wick on March 15, 2017, 01:59:54 PM
I am sick of vehicles coming at me.....In my lane!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch where you are going people. We have no choice but to be defensive driver's.
It's almost like a game of dodge ball............a deadly game   >:( >:(

The last time I had to ply dodge ball it was with a drunk from viet nam going the wrong way on I94 by St Cloud Minn that guy was lucky when he tore the stearing axel of the left side of my truckthe whole left side of his car was gone and he was still siting in the seat 2 more inch he would of been under the Frightliner.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

GAB

At a construction site last fall, in VT, some drivers got some unexpected excise tax tickets when the fellow dressed as a flagger and directing traffic was a State Trooper who was radioing the offenders of the use of electronics while driving law, to his pals.  In VT the fines are doubled in construction zones so the state got even more revenue. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

clearcut

A few months ago driving up a steep winding canyon road, a car two cars ahead was crossing over the center line. She then kept driving  straight, when the road turned right. The car disappeared over the hill. Fortunately for the mom, it hung up on a small live oak. Another driver and I helped her four year old son out of his car seat and up the hill. The mom was frozen in fear, still clutching her phone, and crying as the car bounced up and down on the tree.

We help her out as the fire department rolled up.

A few feet left or right and I doubt she would have survived.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Kbeitz

This phone problem could easily be fixed. Most new cell phones
have the ability to have GPS. They could use this to check if the
phone is moving over a set speed and it could shut down until
the speed was reduced. So easy... If your moving the phone wont
work...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Except all the passengers phones won't work, even on the train or bus. If you are allowed to turn it off, any law breaker would anyway.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: gww on March 15, 2017, 01:22:00 PM
I am not saying that it is not sad when mistakes are made and people hurt them selve and others.  Just that you are not guilty of anything if you have not hurt anyone.

Accidents have happened forever and now days it seems to be more about blaming (with some truth) then the fact that accidents happen.  There is no such thing as an accident.

Sorry, if I am misinterpreting what you mean here, but it sounds like you are saying it's perfectly acceptable to text and drive as long as you don't hurt someone?  And if you do, it's just an accident?

If that's the case, I couldn't disagree more.  Someone who willfully engages in unsafe behavior (like texting while driving) that might lead to the death of another motorist deserves to be fined if caught and is absolutely culpable if any damage, injury, or death occurs--that is not an accident, but a situation that was completely preventable!
e aho laula

gww

Brian
Most accidents are somebodys fault if you go back and find the root cause.  When I was up on my step ladder building my shed and the ladder collapsed, it was my fault for being a little high and not buying a better ladder for the use I was using it on.  It was also an accident cause I needed the shed built and the ladder should have worked if I had reinforced it like I did after I fell of I could have spent $200 for a quality one for that one little job.

You have never looked at directions that you have writen on a napkin or a map while you were moving?  I don't have a text plan and don't really know how to send one but I have been multi tasking lots of times while driving.  I do talk on the phone all the time while on the road.  If I ever mess up, yes it will be an accident because I haven't messed up yet and that time will be differrent for some reason.

Every mistake you have ever made probly had some bit of fault or in attention from you as part of the reason it happened.  I didn't say it should not be investigated and the reason found so that you can improve.  I did make my ladder stronger.

I may not text cause I don't know how but reading writen directions can't be that much differrent.  Or eating a hamburger and driving a stick shift if you want to get right down to it.  There are all kinds of studies on all the dangerous things we do in cars.  Sometimes when an accident happens those things come out, thats how they get all those studies.  Thats why they make everybody buy insurance.

You guys can think I am wrong if while driving by the store I call my mom and ask if she wants me to pick something up but my mom doesn't think I am wrong when I save her a ten mile trip to the store.

I might be getting out of line cause I think I already had one post deleted or maby I just forgot to post it.  I figure if it is a subject that comes up from one perspective that it doesn't hurt for the other side of the coin to at least be looked at.

These rules all are against us because I am not convinced that the line is not crossed by more people then not, even on this tread (a guess).  I don't know one person who hasn't answered their phone while driving or called somebody.  Some try not to more then others but I do not know one that hasn't did it.  I love most of them and wish no harm to any of them and don't believe they are or should be considered criminals for what I have seen them doing.

I will also say that we used to go out and ride dirt bikes and every once in a while, one of us would go to far and get hurt.  We made judgements and learned from some of them but it was mostly better to be able to ride even though those are the chances you take when doing so.

I just think I would be hypocritical  for me to think it should be against the law for others to do what I do on a regular basis or do simular things to what I don't feel bad in doing.
Cheers
gww

paul case

There have been other times that everyone did what was right in their own eyes. That did not end well. Judges 21:25.

PC
pc

gww

I was driving to mom and dads one day and a lady in a pickup was coming from the other direction.  We were meeting on a curve and her dog jumped out the window.  She jerked the wheel so hard that she almost fliped her truck.  I really felt bad for her.  I did not feel like she was an idiot for putting herself in that situation.  I just really felt bad for her cause I know she loved her dog.
Cheers
gww

gww

pual
QuoteThere have been other times that everyone did what was right in their own eyes. That did not end well. Judges 21:25.

There have also been times when the powers that be have made unfair laws that ended up being changed due to people doing it anyway.

I can't remember the name of the movie, but it is about an old man that cut his own wood and they tried to keep him from building his own house on his own land.

Cheers
gww

Kbeitz

One big problem here is that not everyone is good at multi tasking.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Raider Bill

I suspect more people die from distracted driving than drunk driving.

Around here if you are texting and come into a bikers space there is a good chance you will lose your side view mirror.

A bit ago Sue Ann and I were riding to dinner. A driver who was texting turned left in front of us at a intersection. That was about as close as I've ever came to hitting another car while on the bike. I still have scuff marks on my right engine guard from the pavement. I was able to get around the back of her car and in doing so ended up facing oncoming traffic. We followed the driver to a convenience store for a "discussion" She couldn't have cared less. Had it been a man I would have smashed his face into the pavement. Had Sue Ann not been so rattled she would have smashed the woman's face into the pavement.

In a months time last year 5 Bikers were killed in this area due to distracted drivers.

So if that call or text are that important to you then you better make sure you don't harm me or mine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Quote from: gww on March 15, 2017, 11:27:11 PM

I might be getting out of line cause I think I already had one post deleted or maby I just forgot to post it.  I figure if it is a subject that comes up from one perspective that it doesn't hurt for the other side of the coin to at least be looked at.

Insinuation can make you just as wrong as texting and driving. In one I know you are wrong, nobody deleted anything. In the other, I can guarantee the genious that thought he could text and drive that hurt one of my family because of it, would then cause ME to intentionally break a law and probably several.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

gww,
Which side of this are you on anyway. It seems you say there are no such thing as accidents and then you talk about someone making mistakes. Mistakes cause accidents right ? I dont think anyone in his or her right mind would say they havnt made mistakes while driving, but as the times change and we have new ways to make mistakes we will get new laws governing driving.
My aunt and uncle were killed in a accident where a drunk trucker locked his tanker trailer brakes on slick road causing his trailer to slide sideways in the road at over 50 mph and hitting their car. She was killed instantly and he was badly injured, living for about a week before dying. There were no laws about driving drunk at the time, so the family had to take the trucker to court to be able to prove his fault in the accident.  If their had been laws about driving drunk ad legal limits set so that his impairment would have been measured at the scene of the accident would have saved my cousins a lot of agony.
If you want to make your mom proud,  call her when you get to the grocery store. Dont endanger someone elses life by driving distracted.

PC
pc

gww

Jeff
QuoteInsinuation can make you just as wrong as texting and driving. In one I know you are wrong, nobody deleted anything. In the other, I can guarantee the genious that thought he could text and drive that hurt one of my family because of it, would then cause ME to intentionally break a law and probably several.

It is good to know I was not so far out of line that I got my post deleted.  A lot of site's leave the posters name there and put delete so you know when it happened.  I have been on some bee sites and some solar sites and just so you know, I have not been deleted very many times and do not go around trying to stir trouble or get out of line.

I am guessing that I typed a bunch and did not hit post.  Believe it or not though, it is nice to know for sure and not be perinoid about it.
Thanks for your post.
gww

Jeff

Believe me, if you get deleted here, you are going to hear about it.

gww

Raiderbill
My last close insident on a bike, (an old 81 amf low rider) was my inatentiveness of not noticing a car stoping in front of me.  I had to go on the sholder of the road to keep from hitting him in the back.  Scared me for a little bit.  I still don't like Mo helmet law though and think that it should be my choice.

Paul
I am not saying that you should not live up to your responcibility for your part in harm you have caused to others.  I am saying it is stupid to make laws that people are just not going to follow and that those people if they have caused no harm should not be looked down upon.  I am saying that the guy who is tired, or reading a map, or spilling his coffee and it caused harm that should not have happened is no differrent then a person that gets so distracted while being on his phone and that you can not legislate that stuff from happening.

I am also saying that I use my phone and every one I know uses their phone and sometimes I think if you guys feel it is an immportant enough thing you may use your phone and not pull off to the side of the road to do it.  You could probly look it up and find advocates that were trying to get radios taken out of cars due to the it making it easier for people to be distracted with them.  This is not something I dreamed but that I heard on national news.

I spent a lot of time in my life in a car.  I drove 60 miles to work (Mostly 6 days a week) for 30 years.  I lived a lot of my life in a car and have ate and used the phone and listened to the radio and was a productive part of sociaty.  Why would I want rules made against me.

Accidents.  I had a guy with his wife and kid in the car pull out in front of me in the rain.  He looked like he was looking at me right in the eyes and just pulled out and I don't know if he froze or just never even saw me but I hit him.  I did want his insurance to pay for my car, which it did.

Another time this really old man was doing a uturn and made his loop and ran right into the side of my car.  I mean he was going forward and going really slow and still ran into my car.

I got a ticket one time for runnig a stop sign.  I was driving in a new area.  There was no one on the road.  I had found I was going the wrong way and so had turned around and was coming back to the T in the road that I had turned right on insted of left and just ran that stop sign like it wasn't even there and truthfully I did not see it there cause my brain apparrently had a blip.  I like to stop and like to use my blinkers.  Stuff does happen wierdly even when trying to do right.

As far as something being a law or not and how bad I feel if breaking that law.

I built my saw mill and started logging on my brothers.  I didn't know I was going to get hooked and do alot or just a little.  My truck had 12000 lbs plates on it.  I put logs on that truck that overloaded those plates.  I eventually went and got bigger plates but did not feel bad about breaking the law before I got them.  Those logs now are being carryed on the exact equiptment now as they were before and the only differrance is now I don't need a front lisence plate on my truck due to the weight increase.

I am only in my fifties but figure that I am old enough to decide if it is important enough to call my daughter and ask which turn off I want to take when going to her new home with out pulling off the side of a busy interstate just to do that.  I can't see somebody being able to pull me over cause of that.  Why would I want them to make a law saying that is wrong?  Nobody is going to listen to that law anyway. 
Cheers
gww

gww

Jeff
QuoteBelieve me, if you get deleted here, you are going to hear about it.

If I go so far that you need to delete me, I want to hear about it. I might be dumb enough to not know with out being told :)

Thanks
gww

Jeff

If I delete YOU, you will find out when you try to access my website again. If your post gets deleted, odds are what ever admin did it will issue a system warning to you for that.

As for your most recent post, you have described exactly why there should be laws to help protect people like me from people that think like you.

Jeff

My phone has a drive mode. If someone sends me a text when I am moving, they get an auto reply that says this:

[Auto-Reply]  My phone is answering you because I am driving. Only mindless dweebs text and drive. I'll get back to you when I can.  Maybe.

gww

Jeff
QuoteAs for your most recent post, you have described exactly why there should be laws to help protect people like me from people that think like you.

QuoteMy phone has a drive mode. If someone sends me a text when I am moving, they get an auto reply that says this:

[Auto-Reply]  My phone is answering you because I am driving. Only mindless dweebs text and drive. I'll get back to you when I can.  Maybe.

There for a second I thought it was the smiley I posted.

I just say this.  I have had the same insurance company since I was 16 years old.  I have a clear conscience to this point (never say never) that it has not been my insurance having to pay out any money due to my actions.  Perhaps you should have no fear of my abilities on the road.  I know I have caused no harm.
Cheers
gww

Thank You Sponsors!