iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 06, 2017, 09:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Happened about 1;25.( I got this info around 4:45. )  this afternoon a few miles from my mill.
Driver at an estimated speed of 55 and the Logging Truck estimated speed at 60.
Driver was believed to have been texting.
Crossed the center line and hit the logging truck head on.
Truck driver not injured.
Only 1 person in the car and that was the driver.
In fact, the driver is still in this car....deceased.

***fRONT OF CAR ON LEFT***

PAY ATTENTION WHEN DRIVING.....PLEASE.

BY AMANDA HARRIS
aharris@heraldonline.com

CHESTER
One person has died in a head-on collision off U.S. 21, said Lance Cpl. Gary Miller with S.C. Highway Patrol.

At about 1:25 p.m. on March 6, 59-year-old Randy Lee Greene of Catawba was driving north on U.S. 21 when a second driver traveling south on U.S. 21 drove left of the center line and hit Greene head on, Miller said.

The incident happened near Great Falls.

The second driver was driving a 2011 four-door sedan, was wearing a seat belt and became trapped in the car, Miller said. The driver was fatally injured and pronounced dead at the scene. There were no passengers in the car, Miller said.

Greene, who was driving a 2002 truck pulling a trailer, was wearing his seat belt and was injured, but was not trapped in the car, Miller said. Greene was transported by Emergency Medical Services to Piedmont Medical Center. No one else was in Greene's truck. Greene's condition was not known.

The Chester County Coroner's Office has not yet identified the driver who died.

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/latest-news/article136842403.html#storylink=cpy

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

Wow holy moly. I see people texting all the time and give them a wide berth hoping to not be a party similar to your pic .Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Autocar

For being against the law here in Ohio I bet one in three I pass on the road is holding there cell phone like it is there life line. Nuts for sure !
Bill

pinefeller

i couldnt find the news clip for this where was it?
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pinefeller on March 06, 2017, 09:53:39 PM
i couldnt find the news clip for this where was it?

It has not come out yet. I got this direct from the Highway Patrol just a few hours after it happened.
It happened in Chester, S.C.

Woodhauler

Maybe im missing something , but I see nothing in story about texting??
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Let me enlighten a few of you that like to analyze every thread that is posted.
In this particular story, you will not see or read in any public news that states how this tragic accident happened.
Some things are just not written in news stories and I think you understand why.

My intent was to ask everyone that reads this to be careful and pay attention while driving.
There are somethings I know about certain things that the general public in my area will not know.

Now you know why you don't see certain things in public print.

Please be carful when you pull out on that road today.  move_it

Woodhauler

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 07, 2017, 07:21:18 AM
Let me enlighten a few of you that like to analyze every thread that is posted.
In this particular story, you will not see or read in any public news that states how this tragic accident happened.
Some things are just not written in news stories and I think you understand why.

My intent was to ask everyone that reads this to be careful and pay attention while driving.
There are somethings I know about certain things that the general public in my area will not know.

Now you know why you don't see certain things in public print.Ok, we all can come to are own conclusions, bu

Please be carful when you pull out on that road today.  move_it
Well I just said nothing was mentioned about texting in the news story. We all can make our own concluisions.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

pinefeller

sorry, i was just trying to do a little research before i made a comment about evolution. they could have swerved for a little old lady in the road, otherwise we all seem to have the same opinion on texting, driving and the offenders. hopefully they only eliminate themselves.   i got run off the road earlier this winter. went through a pole....and a tree....and stopped on some clusters of smaller trees(missed the house though).  not my fault but at first glance, youd say i was going too fast. some times theres more to the story. stay vigilant.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

petefrom bearswamp

Theory of natural selection, only sometimes they take an innocent with them.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Den Socling

Texting or whatever, how are they ever going to recover the body parts from that wreckage?

Wudman

We had a similar one about six months ago.  A loaded gravel truck was stopped to make a left hand turn into a logging job.  A car hit him from behind.  The examination of the car's "black box" showed that the cruise control was set at 60 MPH and the lady never touched the brake.  A witness said that she was looking down at her phone.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Magicman

The accident investigation will make the determination.  It's a simple matter to look at the call history of that cellphone number and determine what it was doing at the time of the crash.

Poston's point is still valid and the message is clear; don't TEXT and drive. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Onthesauk

Over the weekend, driving up I-5 through CA and OR had 3 semi's drift into my lane, one of them forcing me all the way onto the shoulder.  My wife looking up said all three drivers were texting. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sandhills

This is hitting really close to home right now, I couldn't respond last night but will now.  My future (we hoped) son in law which we already considered him as was killed in an accident 3 months ago last Saturday morning.  He wasn't on his phone or using it (they found it in his pocket) when he pulled out on a highway in front of a semi 1 and 1/2 miles from his driveway.  I won't even answer my phone when driving but if I have to I just pull over or hand it to someone else, David's message is right, I don't care about phones just folks, please pay attention, accidents do happen no matter what the distraction may be.  One radio station even had the report of his accident on their website before all family was notified and said that he was texting and ran the stop sign, the driver of the truck called his family twice the day of the accident and reassured them he did stop and wasn't on a phone he said "I just don't know why he didn't see me I was right there and did everything I could to miss him".  I can't imagine how he feels to this day.  He hit the passenger door of the cab at 60 and came out in front of the drivers door from what I could tell by the pictures.  Just pay attention please, we'll never know why that happened but it happens in a hurry.

Magicman

Thank You Pat for sharing your tragedy.   :'( 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pinefeller

Jeff

It's not our place to pass judgement.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pinefeller on March 07, 2017, 04:01:00 PM
thats why i was trying to find the news article before passing judgement. over and out.

Why would you need a news article when I posted what happened?  say_what  :)

Skidder Kev

no one seems to care about the laws.   I travel the 401 (the busiest hwy in North america)  on occasion.   I see people texting reading paper work on laptops reading newspapers eat salad putting make up on eating cereal out of a bowl just to name a few things.   people forget drivin is a privilege  not a right .  it really does grind my gears.

goose63

I could wright a book on the thing's I've seen afyer 40 years over the road just a bunch of stupid out there and it's not getting any better never will
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Woodhauler

Quote from: goose63 on March 12, 2017, 06:48:53 PM
I could wright a book on the thing's I've seen afyer 40 years over the road just a bunch of stupid out there and it's getting any better never will
I can second this!! I have close to 40 yrs driving truck and I have seen it all!

Brian_Weekley

The only thing I want to say is that you have a tremendous responsibility when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle.  Other people's lives deserve your 100% attention.  I will never understand people who drive impaired (drinking, drugs, tiredness, etc...) or who those who distract themselves by talking on cell phones, texting, or are doing anything other than concentrate on driving safely.  It is just mind boggling how anyone can rationalize this behavior.  I personally know more than a few people who needlessly died by these *%$#& idiots.
e aho laula

paul case

I had noticed a lot of people on their phone and other distractions while driving but lately what had been bothering me was the number of cars I meet at night that have their brights on. I would flip mine on and then off only to pass them completely with their brights on all the way. I looked to try to figure it out and you guessed it they were on their phone. Never looked away from it long enough to know they were meeting a car.

It is very dissapointing that people dont do better.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

gww

The other day they were giving numbers of accidents of people driving tired compared to drinking and driving.  Their advice was to pull off the road and take a 20 min nap.  I went to work for thirty years at 4 am and many times I was tired but if I had pulled over every time people would have been saying I was a worthless guy that didn't want to work and that was why I was on welfare after losing my job cause I was late every day.  Maby they will make a law.  It is a shame that accidents cause pain.  There is nothing wrong with hoping and reminding your friends to be careful.  On the other hand there are lots of ways to have an accident. 

You could not legislate against all the ways and it would be crazy to try and harmful to those who did not cause an accident.

I answer my phone while driving and if it is a long trip, I do a lot of talking to take care of other things in life and also to get directions while driving.

I am not saying that it is not sad when mistakes are made and people hurt them selve and others.  Just that you are not guilty of anything if you have not hurt anyone.

Accidents have happened forever and now days it seems to be more about blaming (with some truth) then the fact that accidents happen.  There is no such thing as an accident.

I am sure most don't wake up and say I am going to go out and kill myself today and maby take somebody with me.  They more judge the risk and are sometimes wrong.  You will never, even if it is against the law stop that.  Some just judge better then others or are luckier then others.

Cheers
gww

Thank You Sponsors!