The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE  (Read 2071 times)

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 06:48:53 pm »
I could wright a book on the thing's I've seen afyer 40 years over the road just a bunch of stupid out there and it's not getting any better never will
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline Woodhauler

• Senior Member x2
  • Logging is in my blood!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 04:59:02 pm »
I could wright a book on the thing's I've seen afyer 40 years over the road just a bunch of stupid out there and it's getting any better never will
I can second this!! I have close to 40 yrs driving truck and I have seen it all!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Offline Brian_Weekley

• I am Batman!
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 10:28:31 am »
The only thing I want to say is that you have a tremendous responsibility when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle.  Other people's lives deserve your 100% attention.  I will never understand people who drive impaired (drinking, drugs, tiredness, etc...) or who those who distract themselves by talking on cell phones, texting, or are doing anything other than concentrate on driving safely.  It is just mind boggling how anyone can rationalize this behavior.  I personally know more than a few people who needlessly died by these *%$#& idiots.
e aho laula

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 11:19:32 am »
I had noticed a lot of people on their phone and other distractions while driving but lately what had been bothering me was the number of cars I meet at night that have their brights on. I would flip mine on and then off only to pass them completely with their brights on all the way. I looked to try to figure it out and you guessed it they were on their phone. Never looked away from it long enough to know they were meeting a car.

It is very dissapointing that people dont do better.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and 3 blade Baker edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 01:22:00 pm »
The other day they were giving numbers of accidents of people driving tired compared to drinking and driving.  Their advice was to pull off the road and take a 20 min nap.  I went to work for thirty years at 4 am and many times I was tired but if I had pulled over every time people would have been saying I was a worthless guy that didn't want to work and that was why I was on welfare after losing my job cause I was late every day.  Maby they will make a law.  It is a shame that accidents cause pain.  There is nothing wrong with hoping and reminding your friends to be careful.  On the other hand there are lots of ways to have an accident. 

You could not legislate against all the ways and it would be crazy to try and harmful to those who did not cause an accident.

I answer my phone while driving and if it is a long trip, I do a lot of talking to take care of other things in life and also to get directions while driving.

I am not saying that it is not sad when mistakes are made and people hurt them selve and others.  Just that you are not guilty of anything if you have not hurt anyone.

Accidents have happened forever and now days it seems to be more about blaming (with some truth) then the fact that accidents happen.  There is no such thing as an accident.

I am sure most don't wake up and say I am going to go out and kill myself today and maby take somebody with me.  They more judge the risk and are sometimes wrong.  You will never, even if it is against the law stop that.  Some just judge better then others or are luckier then others.

Cheers
gww

Online Wick

• Full Member x2
  • Let's Do It!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »
I am sick of vehicles coming at me.....In my lane!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch where you are going people. We have no choice but to be defensive driver's.
It's almost like a game of dodge ball............a deadly game   >:( >:(
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 03:09:28 pm »

I am not saying that it is not sad when mistakes are made and people hurt them selve and others.  Just that you are not guilty of anything if you have not hurt anyone.

Cheers
gww

I am afraid you may mean different that what I read. If so I apologize in advance.
What you said is not so.
It is wrong to break the law , If you get caught or not.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and 3 blade Baker edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 03:38:56 pm »
paul
Although an increasing number of states are placing restrictions on cell phone usage, Missouri has no law regarding the use of cell phones while driving. The state does, however, ban texting for 21 years of age or younger.
Yes, some might be breaking a law,  I am just avocating that they don't make another stupid law that I might break and make me a criminal which I am not right now.  I like it better when they don't make a bunch of people criminals when they have lived a bunch of years and hurt no one and were not criminals for those years untill somebody legislate them into being one.

You 40 something states that have to live with this kinda junk should try and get rid of it, cause I am sure it is not changing anything but how much your state makes in fine money.  Go out and look on the roads and see what the public thinks of it by the actions they are really taking. 

There are lots of things that common sense says you should not be doing but may not should be made a law.

I think they ought to make a law against the guy who is in the fast lane going slow beside another slow car in the slow lane that is talking to somebody in the passanger seat and not paying attention.

Or one against the guy who is wiping the coffee he spilt on his seat while driving. 

Or the one,

Or

Cheers
gww

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 04:42:01 pm »
I believe it was Will Rogers that said''What this country needs is more unemployed politicians''.

Wasn't he from The Great State of Oklahoma?
My apologies for the hijacking of this thread.

PC

Ps. Don't Text While Driving.
pc

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »
I am sick of vehicles coming at me.....In my lane!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch where you are going people. We have no choice but to be defensive driver's.
It's almost like a game of dodge ball............a deadly game   >:( >:(

The last time I had to ply dodge ball it was with a drunk from viet nam going the wrong way on I94 by St Cloud Minn that guy was lucky when he tore the stearing axel of the left side of my truckthe whole left side of his car was gone and he was still siting in the seat 2 more inch he would of been under the Frightliner.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline GAB

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »
At a construction site last fall, in VT, some drivers got some unexpected excise tax tickets when the fellow dressed as a flagger and directing traffic was a State Trooper who was radioing the offenders of the use of electronics while driving law, to his pals.  In VT the fines are doubled in construction zones so the state got even more revenue. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline clearcut

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:42 pm »
A few months ago driving up a steep winding canyon road, a car two cars ahead was crossing over the center line. She then kept driving  straight, when the road turned right. The car disappeared over the hill. Fortunately for the mom, it hung up on a small live oak. Another driver and I helped her four year old son out of his car seat and up the hill. The mom was frozen in fear, still clutching her phone, and crying as the car bounced up and down on the tree.

We help her out as the fire department rolled up.

A few feet left or right and I doubt she would have survived.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 09:36:54 pm »
This phone problem could easily be fixed. Most new cell phones
have the ability to have GPS. They could use this to check if the
phone is moving over a set speed and it could shut down until
the speed was reduced. So easy... If your moving the phone wont
work...
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:18 pm »
Except all the passengers phones won't work, even on the train or bus. If you are allowed to turn it off, any law breaker would anyway.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Brian_Weekley

• I am Batman!
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 09:53:39 pm »

Accidents have happened forever and now days it seems to be more about blaming (with some truth) then the fact that accidents happen.  There is no such thing as an accident.

Sorry, if I am misinterpreting what you mean here, but it sounds like you are saying it's perfectly acceptable to text and drive as long as you don't hurt someone?  And if you do, it's just an accident?

If that's the case, I couldn't disagree more.  Someone who willfully engages in unsafe behavior (like texting while driving) that might lead to the death of another motorist deserves to be fined if caught and is absolutely culpable if any damage, injury, or death occurs--that is not an accident, but a situation that was completely preventable!
e aho laula

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 11:27:11 pm »
Brian
Most accidents are somebodys fault if you go back and find the root cause.  When I was up on my step ladder building my shed and the ladder collapsed, it was my fault for being a little high and not buying a better ladder for the use I was using it on.  It was also an accident cause I needed the shed built and the ladder should have worked if I had reinforced it like I did after I fell of I could have spent $200 for a quality one for that one little job.

You have never looked at directions that you have writen on a napkin or a map while you were moving?  I don't have a text plan and don't really know how to send one but I have been multi tasking lots of times while driving.  I do talk on the phone all the time while on the road.  If I ever mess up, yes it will be an accident because I haven't messed up yet and that time will be differrent for some reason.

Every mistake you have ever made probly had some bit of fault or in attention from you as part of the reason it happened.  I didn't say it should not be investigated and the reason found so that you can improve.  I did make my ladder stronger.

I may not text cause I don't know how but reading writen directions can't be that much differrent.  Or eating a hamburger and driving a stick shift if you want to get right down to it.  There are all kinds of studies on all the dangerous things we do in cars.  Sometimes when an accident happens those things come out, thats how they get all those studies.  Thats why they make everybody buy insurance.

You guys can think I am wrong if while driving by the store I call my mom and ask if she wants me to pick something up but my mom doesn't think I am wrong when I save her a ten mile trip to the store.

I might be getting out of line cause I think I already had one post deleted or maby I just forgot to post it.  I figure if it is a subject that comes up from one perspective that it doesn't hurt for the other side of the coin to at least be looked at.

These rules all are against us because I am not convinced that the line is not crossed by more people then not, even on this tread (a guess).  I don't know one person who hasn't answered their phone while driving or called somebody.  Some try not to more then others but I do not know one that hasn't did it.  I love most of them and wish no harm to any of them and don't believe they are or should be considered criminals for what I have seen them doing.

I will also say that we used to go out and ride dirt bikes and every once in a while, one of us would go to far and get hurt.  We made judgements and learned from some of them but it was mostly better to be able to ride even though those are the chances you take when doing so.

I just think I would be hypocritical  for me to think it should be against the law for others to do what I do on a regular basis or do simular things to what I don't feel bad in doing.
Cheers
gww

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 11:34:56 pm »
There have been other times that everyone did what was right in their own eyes. That did not end well. Judges 21:25.

PC
pc

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »
I was driving to mom and dads one day and a lady in a pickup was coming from the other direction.  We were meeting on a curve and her dog jumped out the window.  She jerked the wheel so hard that she almost fliped her truck.  I really felt bad for her.  I did not feel like she was an idiot for putting herself in that situation.  I just really felt bad for her cause I know she loved her dog.
Cheers
gww

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 11:50:03 pm »
pual
There have been other times that everyone did what was right in their own eyes. That did not end well. Judges 21:25.

There have also been times when the powers that be have made unfair laws that ended up being changed due to people doing it anyway.

I can't remember the name of the movie, but it is about an old man that cut his own wood and they tried to keep him from building his own house on his own land.

Cheers
gww

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 05:48:45 am »
One big problem here is that not everyone is good at multi tasking.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.