iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill

Started by Montanye Woodwo, March 05, 2017, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montanye Woodwo

I've always wanted a bandsaw mill. I think now is the time  I pull the trigger.  I'll just be cutting for personal us and foreally friends. I got $10-15k for a budget. I'd like it to have a trailer kit and at least 20hp. 28" board width and 20' length. So far I've looked online at woodmizer, norwood, cook, ez boardwalk,  Turner. Any others I should be looking at? Leads on a good used one? So far I probably like the cook mp32 with the package 4 the best.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Montanye Woodwo on March 05, 2017, 01:39:54 PM
Any others I should be looking at?

Yes....I recommend looking for sawyers who have these mills and asking them to let you watch them saw.
Ask questions. Maybe they will let you saw a board or 2. A little travel time to get personnel with different sawmills will be worth it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Welcome to the forum and good advice from Poston.
al glenn

jaygtree

welcome to the forum. i live near duluth. i have an ez boardwalk jr that i really like. if you are up my way you are welcome to stop in and see how it works once the snow is gone. with your budget you'd probably be looking at an ez 40.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

brianb88

I do not have any recommendations as I am still looking myself but if you haven't already check out the Sawmill Exchange. You can find their link on the left. They are a FF sponsor and usually have a variety to choose from. 
Measure twice, cut once

Montanye Woodwo

Quote from: jaygtree on March 05, 2017, 05:22:31 PM
welcome to the forum. i live near duluth. i have an ez boardwalk jr that i really like. if you are up my way you are welcome to stop in and see how it works once the snow is gone. with your budget you'd probably be looking at an ez 40.  jg

thanks, ill probably take you up on that if I don't jump the gun and buy something before.

Montanye Woodwo

Quote from: brianb88 on March 05, 2017, 05:36:46 PM
I do not have any recommendations as I am still looking myself but if you haven't already check out the Sawmill Exchange. You can find their link on the left. They are a FF sponsor and usually have a variety to choose from.

just looked at that site, they got a timberking that looks decent. its a 95 but I don't know whats too old when it comes to a sawmill.

scully

It may be at the top of your budget but check out the WM LT28 . Good luck what ever you choose .
I bleed orange  .

xlogger

I just looked at the TK you are talking about and it looks ok to me. Also with the sharpener and setter you get a bonus.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

After over 13000 hours on my B20 TK its been a great mill , runs a long time between break downs. Has  vertical log stops, chain turner, hyd toe boards , trouble free hyd head feed less than $100 in all those hours, setworks that work great with a industrial cord reel.  The mill you looked at has a couple of covers and the jacks missing, both the sharpener and setter work good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Montanye Woodwo

Called EZ today and had him put my name on a 40 with trailer package and upgraded to 28hp. Gonna pick up next Sat.

brianb88

Quote from: Montanye Woodwo on March 06, 2017, 06:22:37 PM
Called EZ today and had him put my name on a 40 with trailer package and upgraded to 28hp. Gonna pick up next Sat.

Congratulations on your mill! Let us know how you like it and post pics when you get the chance.
Measure twice, cut once

paul case

I think you will be very happy with the EZ40.

Congrats.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Congrats not only on the sawmill but also for taking the time to ask questions so that you could make a decision that you will not second guess in the future.  That is doing it right.   smiley_thumbsup

Now, be sure to pick up at least one Logrite cant hook while you are there.   logrite_cool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Good for you!  The mill you chose is one that I very seriously considered. Good luck and happy sawing!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

jaygtree

congrats. you'll like your new mill.   jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

ladylake

If I was getting a manual mill the EZ40 would be the one.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cutting Edge

Quote from: ladylake on March 07, 2017, 05:49:12 AM

If I was getting a manual mill the EZ40 would be the one.   Steve

Yes Sir !  By far the best choice, especially in that price range.  Alot of sawmill for the money and very easy to maintain.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

4x4American

Well that escalated fast lol you were serious!  Congratulations! 

Steve how do you have less than $100 in it after 13,000 hrs  ??? ???
Did you wire the hourmeter in so that it stays on lol
What about the diesel you retrofitted onto it?  If it has bandwheel belts you'd burn $100 in no time... or with steel wheels I'm sure they needed to be machined a few times.  Every time you fuel it up you're dumping $ into it, no?  Oil changes, grease, guide rollers, blades, they all cost $ unless you somehow get it all for free. 
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

That's less than $100 in the head drive system, 1 valve and 4 bushings so far.  Hydraulics work good.   Steve

Montanye Woodwo

I'm excited, if I didn't have plans I'd be driving down this sat.  I even went mudding thru the woods after work last night to check out all the logs I'm gonna saw up.  I have a 5'x10' cnc router so I see alot of live edge carved signs being made.

Treehack

Congrats on the new mill.  The trip down will certainly seem quicker than the trip home :).  You are going to love it and will never look at a tree the same way again.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

f350rd

Welcome to the forum. I have an EZ 40 since last Sep. I have modified it a lot, installed leveling jacks, 12volt carriage chain drive, head up and down drive, wireless loading winch, 8 foot extension, and in the process of building resaw belt conveyor. You are really going to like the EZ sawmill
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

DDobbs

Did you get the new Mill home?
Making sawdust yet?
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Montanye Woodwo

Picking it up Saturday. This last weekend I got a bunch of walnut logs from the woods piled so I should be ready to go Sunday morning.

Thank You Sponsors!