Lucas Mill Log Chocks

Started by logboy, April 29, 2012, 04:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

Has anyone tried the Lucas Mill Log Chocks?  I'm wondering if they are worth the $250 to buy and get them shipped.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=LM+LC&catID=
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Nomad

That seems a bit pricey to me.  How about picking up a piece of aluminum angle stock and cutting/bending it to do the job?  Then just drill and thread a hole for a screw.  2" aluminum angle, 1/4 thick, is about $31 from the MSC catalog.  (That's a 48" piece.)  Lots of other sizes and shapes to choose from, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

paultmckay

We are somewhat new to milling (20hrs on our 6-18).  We added the log chocks to our purchase when seeing them our our "training" when we collected our mill.  We love them and reckon they save a heap of time and mucking about.  It is also nice to be able to adjust easy and know the log is well held for the last few runs.
Had my Lucas 618 with slabber, weatherboard attachment,  planer and a logrite fetching arch stolen. 

Bought another (minus the log arch.  And then bought a 10-30.

dgdrls

They are a bit steep  but work well.
I tested mine on some walnut last weekend and today.
I built the bunks with Locust for the base, PT 4x4 shaved down a bit, through bolted the whole smash.

DGDrls

Tucknj

I have tried to wedge, tried the small cut out in the bunk, finally bought the dogs..saves a ton of messing around.

paultmckay

I love mine.  Even have two sets for each mill so I can do two at a time.
Had my Lucas 618 with slabber, weatherboard attachment,  planer and a logrite fetching arch stolen. 

Bought another (minus the log arch.  And then bought a 10-30.