iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine beetles

Started by logosoluser, December 08, 2004, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logosoluser

I have set my mill up in a stand of large standing pines. I know the mill activities encourage pine beetles in the loss bark and all. My question is am I taking a big chance on these beetles getting into my standing timber? I will not be cutting the standing timber for a few years, but I am sawing a lot of timber on my mill and my slab pile and all is there in my standing timber so I got to thinking I might not be doing a good thing.

customsawyer

You are increasing your risk but not much more than if you did a thinning. The trick is to keep everything down on ground level. Don't let your slab pile get to high and keep your sawdust spread out. If you have another place to set up than I would move but some times we do what we have to.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doublecutusa

Good advice there.  Try and sell slabs for mulch or get rid of it altogether.  Some landscapers actually will give money for them and the sawdust as well.

DextorDee

I agree with customsawyer
QuoteIf you have another place to set up then I would move but some times we do what we have to.
They are high on my hate list  >:(
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Thank You Sponsors!