iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fasttrac model 20 electric

Started by johnnyboy, March 03, 2017, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyboy

I am looking for any and all information anyone has out there about the Fasttrac 20 bandsaw mills.  I have found one that appears to have very little run time on it.  The unit now has a 50 hp, 3 phase electric motor on it.  I am wondering if its feasable to convert it to a 75 - 100 hp diesel.  Am I nuts or is this something that can't be done? This is a larger unit with what appears to be 4" bandsaw blade.  I know the company is out of business but I am also wondering if there are replacement (aftermarket) parts I could buy when something wears out or fails..  What would the value be on this now, out of business mill??  I have more questions than answers but i think I can buy this for not a lot over the scrap value..  Any help would really be appreciated.  Thanks, Johnnyboy.

york

John,welcome to the FF...

Where was this mill built??
Any pictures would help...
Albert

TKehl

Is it a mill or a resaw? 

A resaw will have a conveyor to carry the wood through the blade.  Usually a smaller throat, but offers continuous cutting.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

johnnyboy

I believe now that you mention the conveyor belt it must be a resaw.  The throat is about 28" and the deck is about 21'.  I couldn't find any tags or other identification so Iam not sure where it was built other than being red with gray plastic idler wheel covers.  The guy selling it don't know anything about it either.  The conveyor is a flat belt about 2'wide and is on the back side of the band saw blade.  The blades are 5" wide.  The steel deck, posts, everything shows next to no wear or damage which leads me to believe it was'nt used much, which also makes me wonder why not?? some part go bad that could'nt be found ?  Thanks for the information..  I have had my logs sawed many times with a for hire woodmizer but I am considering buying my own.  I do have a shop with some good fabricators so (barring the electric issue) I think this might work.  Thanks again.

TKehl

Do you have the power to run it? 

With a 50 HP electric and 4" band, it's made to go go GO!

Resaws aren't cheap.  If you get in it right, you may be money ahead to advertise the resaw and use the funds to buy a mill outright. 

Option 2 would be to get the resaw and a mill, then you have a significant production advantage, using the mill to take of the sides and size the cants.

Where 'bouts you located?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Jeff

4" bands require some advanced equipment to maintain, and they ain't cheap.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

johnnyboy

I measured the band it is not a 4" but a 5 ".. Iam sure this was a production mill.  it is on two axels but it also has fixed legs, that are bolted on.

muggs

I would like to see pics of that mill. Do you have 3 phase electric?  Muggs

bandmiller2

Johnny, if you get the mill/resaw it may be cheaper and easier to find a good used three phase generator instead of modifying the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!