iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber storage barn

Started by Joey Grimes, March 02, 2017, 10:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Looks nice.  God job.  On our slab rack I hung some yellow safety chain from the frame to keep the slabs from accidentally falling out and conking a customer or me on the head.  Much like the chain that holds welding cylinders in a welding cart.  The chain has some slack so the slabs can easily pulled out a little to see them, but it keeps them from falling out.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

That's a nice looking whack of lumber well displayed. I like it.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

xlogger

Joey, where did you get those pipes bolted to the wood to hold your slabs? I was thinking about building something like that but I like your deal better than what I was thinking about.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Joey Grimes

I ordered 3/4 floor flanges and screwed them to horizontal 2x4 and screwed in 24" 3/4 pipe nipples I ordered them from supply house online 40# nipples and #40 floor flanges cost $250 delivered
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Joey Grimes

I reconfigured a little today to accommodate shorter slabs

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

Joey,

That is mighty fine, makes me green with envy. That is one of the nicest slab displays that I have ever seen.  Man, you are rockin'  8) 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

Man, you're doing what I dream of doing. Very Nice.  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Glenn1

Joey,

You've done a phenomenal job on your building and slab rack.  Way to go!!!
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Joey Grimes

First of many mobile lumber displays

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

I like it, I like it a lot.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

YellowHammer

Looks great.  Better get the credit card machine warmed up for your customers. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Joey Grimes

Peter Drouin

You guys with the light weight barns. Makes thing so easy down in the south. Up here in the north, we have to build strong, Snow is the thing. :D :D :D :snowball:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

You poor Northern Dudes have all kinds of things weighing down on you.  Like glaciers.  Hard to imagine how y'all can stay sane  :)

(Note to self: Some of y'all aren't...).

Snow load or no snow load, that is one fine slab display.

YellowHammer

What are those big wide slabs on the left side of the rack?  They look as wide as a door.

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 26, 2017, 05:33:26 AM
Makes thing so easy down in the south. Up here in the north..... Snow is the thing. :D :D :D :snowball:

You figured us out!  That's why we live down here. 
YellowHammerisms:

red

I understand how mobile homes can fly away in a storm.  Now I am understanding how your outbuildings get airborne.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Joey Grimes

The wide boards on the left are 5/4 maple some 19" wide clear

Joey Grimes

I appreciate everyone's kind words it's great to have a place to share ideas I couldn't be where I am now without everyone's help !!

David M

If you don't mind answering, what did the final cost work out to per SQF for such a nice roomy building ?

Joey Grimes

Not including any of my labor about  10 dollars per sf

Thank You Sponsors!