iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber storage barn

Started by Joey Grimes, March 02, 2017, 10:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

Got the framing finished for our new building for retail lumber sales should have metal on the sides by next week .I'm looking for ideas for vertical lumber storage I think I've got a plan for my slab display. 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

tmbrcruiser

Nice building! I am interested n your plan to display slabs, that is a challenge I've been thinking about. The idea of having to show each slab to someone that may or may not buy one is not appealing to me. My thought is to wet the slab ( to show the color and grain ) then photograph each side with a coded number. It would be much easier to have someone scan the photos than viewing each piece.

Please let me know what works for you.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

dean herring

That's a good looking building. Did you cut your own lumber?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Joey Grimes

I had a company build the pole barn30x60 x17 tall sides I cut 6/4 cypress for all the framing between the posts and all the framing for the gable ends I got started sheeting today hope to be done by Sunday 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

Nice and tall.  Good wide door.  Excellent.  I want one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

Jerry tidwell construction has one with your name on it.

Joey Grimes

WDH

You don't mess around (old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Joey Grimes

All siding done garage door and man door and lots of insulation next I found a deal on some  1.5x2x4 rigid foam  insulation for $1 each best I can tell I'll only need 700#!!!

caveman

Joey, it looks like you have it going your way now. Good looking barn.
Caveman

BigZ La

scleigh

Joey. the building and kiln you built, both look really good.
Do you plan to control the temp in the building or just the humidity? I assume you'll be storing dried lumber in it.

rjwoelk

For displaying slabs, vertical on a carosal or just half carosal, like at hd displaying carpet or tile.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Joey Grimes

Yes building will be for kiln dry lumber only I don't plan on air conditioning but maybe heat I'm going to wait and see how good my insulation works .I'm not sure how the foam panels will work. My plan is to friction fit panels between the perlins and it will be against the metal my thought is that will keep the roof from sweating in the morning? It would have been easier to use roll insulation before metal was installed

scleigh

I'm with ya on insulating before metal, I didnt in my first building and will never skimp again. I'm thinking about the do it yourself spray foam for my ceiling
You've come a long ways in the past year, nice looking operation.

Joey Grimes

Picked up my insulation today it was a very slow ride home with 180 sheets of 3 inch foam sheets 

Darrel

The trailer looks to be heavier than the load.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

YellowHammer

That is a nice load, great score.  I hope it stops condensation from dripping on your wood. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Joey Grimes

Got started insulating today roof is a slow go

Darrel

That should keep moisture from condensing and dripping all over everything. Looking good!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

One idea is to use a humidistat to control the heat.  Whenever the humidity is over about 40% RH, then the humidistat kicks on, turning on the heat.  Heating air lowers the RH.

Note that painting the roof a dark color will heat the roof and thereby minimize condensation and also provide some heat into the building to help lower the RH.  The average outside RH is around 65%, so a building needs to be about 20 F warmer than the morning's low temperature to achieve 8% EMC.  A small fan or two helps stir the air so conditions are uniform.  Otherwise, hot air rises and so the roof will have a lower RH than the floor.  In all cases, we do not want any source of moisture- wet lumber, roof leaks, soil moisture, open doors for very long, especially between 10PM and 10AM when outside RH is high.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Joey Grimes

The insulation is covered both sides with a black cover like tar paper I thought about painting it white so it would reflect light better are you saying it being black will help reduce condensation or the roof metal black?

Joey Grimes

More progress on insulation 

Joey Grimes

All the insulation is done and garage door installed I got finished with some of slab display and loaded 24' I thought that was enough but I think another 24' next week 

Thank You Sponsors!