iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hookaroon and Cant

Started by alabama, March 02, 2017, 08:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama

My Stihl 60" CANT came in and Stihl 30" Hookaroon this afternoon along with some other goodies. Question I have is for the Hookaroon. Are you to sharpen the end hook? As it doesn't seem that sharp. For whatever reason Stihl doesn't make a longer Hookaroon so I had to settle with a 30" which is just fine with me too.

John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

bandmiller2

Try it mate, their not supposed to be too sharp or they will sink in and be hard to remove. Some folks even file a small flat at the tip. I make my pickaroons and prefer a pyramid shaped tip. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tmbrcruiser

The hook on your cant hook is back wards. I don't think it will work very well like it is.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

alabama

It is backwards ;) I just got it home this afternoon and haven't had a chance to turn it around.
It also has a decal advising to do so... thank god I can read.  :) by chance are my uploaded pictures of the cant and hookaroon upright and correct? Or upside down? On mobile the pictures are upside down. On web browser it is correct.

tmbrcruiser

Your pictures are upright and clear. Roll Tide!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

bandmiller2

Hookaroons are designed to be a modest extension of your reach, if too long would be tiring to use. I use an old slice bar to pull stuff off trucks if theirs a longer reach. Slice bars were used with coal burning furnaces to hook out clinkers and manage the fire bed. They are a long rod with a "D" handle one end and a right angle hook on the other. Frank C.

jdeere540a

I think the point is sopose to be kind of blunt with a bur on the tip like a pulp hook.

Jeff

Logrite tools with STIHL decorations.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Skip

Use that hookaroon once and you won't know how u lived without it . ;D

IndianaJoe

I just got a hookaroon about a month ago.  My back thanks me for it!!! 8) 8)

duffdav

Give us a report on how that hookaroon works. It just does not look like it will get a bite to me. I fight pickaroon tips every day that will not get a bite.

My crew and I go through Appalachian Timber Products in Sutton scrap pile everyday pulling out tie end cutoffs. We run them through resaws making 2 inch bases and headboards as they are called that go with high quality engineered yellow poplar mine support posts for their Stata affiliate.

We get a lot of 4 to 5 foot 7 x9  hickory cutoffs that are dern hard too pull out of the tangled mess of everything dumped in their grinding bin. After 15 years and well over a $million worth of product I have a lot of experience with tie picks.

Jeff

If you use the forum search, you will find that logrite hookaroon always exceeds expectations. I bought the first one about 15 years ago for my lumber pilers at the commercial mill where I was the head sawyer, as a replacement for those old axe head type, wooden handled one that had always been used. After just the first hour or so, the two guys began fighting over who was going to get to use the new one. I had to buy another so they each had one.

bandmiller2

Duff, Logrite make a good pickaroon. I want you to try something when you get a little time get an old pick with a good handle, most folks will give them away or flea markets for a couple of bucks. Take a cutting torch and remove one point, shorten and shape the other to a slight hook. I have found a pyramid shaped tip works best. Experiment with the shape to your liking. Theirs enough weight in the head to set in a heavy chunk and you won't pull the handle out. Their cheap to make and you won't get as upset when naughty boys loose them. Frank C.

Magicman

My Logrite Hookaroon always lays in a special place when I am sawing.  I reach for and use it very often.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Is this the second posting of a backwards hook or just another pic?
I wonder how many vendors use logrite manufactured stuff with their name on it.
Frank isnt that kind of heavy to work with one hand?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bandmiller2

Not really that heavy Pete, depends how much steel you leave on the head. I consider it a heavy duty Pickaroon  not just for light slabs and boards. Frank C.

Jeff

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 05, 2017, 09:12:27 AM
Is this the second posting of a backwards hook or just another pic?
I wonder how many vendors use logrite manufactured stuff with their name on it.
Frank isnt that kind of heavy to work with one hand?

All logrite canthooks and peavys are shipped with the hook on backwards and instructions telling to change it, so they fit in a smaller box to substantially save on shipping. Logrite manufactures the tools for STIHL branded, Wood-Mizer and some others as well, but they are still all logrite tools.

petefrom bearswamp

The backwards hook crossed my mind Jeff.
I bought a lightly used one from Tammy a few years ago at a bargain price and it came assembled ready for use.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bandmiller2

I suppose I should call Tammy but are their different size hooks that can be fitted to their cant hooks. I use a sawyers special and it seems the hook is not large enough to get a bite in a big log. Frank C.

Magicman

Yes, different size (length) Logrites have different size hooks that enable them to hook the log sizes that they are designed for.  My 24" Sawmill Special has the smallest hook available.   This LINK was taken directly from the Logrite sponsor website.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alabama

Quote from: duffdav on March 04, 2017, 09:19:04 AM
Give us a report on how that hookaroon works. It just does not look like it will get a bite to me. I fight pickaroon tips every day that will not get a bite.

My crew and I go through Appalachian Timber Products in Sutton scrap pile everyday pulling out tie end cutoffs. We run them through resaws making 2 inch bases and headboards as they are called that go with high quality engineered yellow poplar mine support posts for their Stata affiliate.

We get a lot of 4 to 5 foot 7 x9  hickory cutoffs that are dern hard too pull out of the tangled mess of everything dumped in their grinding bin. After 15 years and well over a $million worth of product I have a lot of experience with tie picks.

I'll let you know very soon. I've got to knock down some timber first. Which I keep trying to do but we keep having rain from one day to another!

bandmiller2

Thanks mate that's good information to know. If I had known at the time I would have requested the larger hook when I bought it.  Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!