iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power outages

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 02, 2017, 05:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, the weather reports said we were going to have severe wind issues in the surrounding counties. My wife and I started out to pick up our almost 5 y/o, drop off some more walnut cookies at a consignment antiques place, eat lunch and get a new drill. The wind really picked up when we stepped out and I decided I'd better carry my chainsaw as tree falls on our mountain road are not uncommon. As I  backed out to the barn I saw a top fall out of a dead ash in the lot on the front side of our place. Grabbed the saw, fuel, bar oil and tools and tool kit and we headed up the hill about 11:00. About 2 miles up the road sure enough we encountered a fallen locust covered in grape vines. I got out and sawed it up into pieces I could move. When I finished that another guy pulled in behind me and got out to help move the pieces and as we finished a van pulled in front and got out and tossed a limb or two. Everyone around here has chainsaws and it is not like a big city where people wait for the city or state people to come fix something. We found the power was out when wifey called the house keeper.

To make matters worse our Guardian 17 KW generator stopped - it cranked and was running but not producing power. Kids got out of school early and DIL was released from work early so we went to a generator shop near town. The guy was real friendly and said his tech could go with us so we led him home. As soon as he opened the GenSet he saw little copper wires and told us the problem was the stator (?) had come unwound and torn up. Only have 330 or so hours on it in 9-10 years but he said may have sucked something in. He did not have the part and said they cannot get the part so I asked if he can find someone to rewind it. If not I guess I will have to replace the whole set. Sure missed it last night with no lights and no water with pump out.

Today about noon the power company came by and found a small dead ash tree in my pasture had fallen and broken the lines. They'd fixed one line down the road but apparently my tree had the rest of the community out. They fixed it by 1:30 pm in time for me to watch the second old 30 minute Gunsmoke. Sure is good to have lights, TV, internet, and running water and not have to haul water from the creek to flush toilets and not worry about everything in your freezer going bad.

Neighbors in surrounding counties may still be several days without power. My thoughts go out to them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Not many trees fall across the road in this area. I only had a hard time getting home once in all the times that I was coming home.  ;D  And that was last year. Yes,I might see where something had happen,but it was all cleaned up by the time I got home.
Oh yea,I did forget about the ice storm back in '96? But I was still able to get home with hardly any problems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skip

We had 55mph gusts last night lights dipped 4 or 5 times but power never went out. Down to 25mph  now, but we got 4 inches of rain yesterday and 60 degrees ,its 29 and flurries now. Never seen nothing like it!

Autocar

Monday night around 11:45 the wind hit and it shook the house only the second time I can ever remember  this happening. It's a thousand forthy five feet of woods between us and the open  fields . Not sure what the mile per hour was but was hard on the dead ash trees.
Bill

petefrom bearswamp

We were out just under 12 hrs yesterday.
My generator, a Makita 6100 handles all of our essential needs but wont run my hot tub.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

Thanks for the tree removal WV sawmiller. around here everyone just calls the volunteer fire department. Then I have to go out and cut up the trees. :)

Oh well, I wouldn't volunteer if I didn't enjoy the excitement.

TKehl

Last tree I cleared off the road was after a middle of the night thunderstorm and I got an alarm call from the equipment at work.  Cut it by headlight.  I realized it was a Mulberry, but after working it for a while, realized there were different leaves and berries in the tree.  Strange!  Backlit by the headlights, I didn't realize it was vining POISON IVY until I was already umm... "committed".

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 03, 2017, 09:08:28 AM
We were out just under 12 hrs yesterday.
My generator, a Makita 6100 handles all of our essential needs but wont run my hot tub.
:'( :'( :'( :)

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, my outage was 26.5 hours. I heard on news still about 12,000 w/o power. Fayette County was one of hardest hit.

The Generac lady found the parts and ordered them to repair mine. About $1000-$1100 for parts plus labor to fix mine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ox

Maybe it would be worth taking some time to screw some wire mesh onto the vents of your generator head.  I did this to mine because the housing is a perfect house/home for our furry little rodent friends.  They get in there and chew on wires and things and their pee is like acid and corrodes everything.  I used some kind of expanded metal mesh with about 1/4" or 3/8" square holes.  Any bigger than that and a small mouse might still get through.  All they have to do is fit their head, the rest of their body will squeeze through after the head.  Held on with small self tapping screws after drilling slightly smaller holes through just around the vent holes - it should only be housing material around these vents but be doubly sure!  Maybe a strong adhesive would work?  I'm not sure really.  Just a thought to maybe keep stuff outta your generator head.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

Ox,

I will look into that when we open the case to do the repairs. I am not sure it was a mouse or chipmunk or such. Also need to look where the gas line and power cords come out to see if they are sealed or how much trouble it would be to seal them. The fiberglass case is pretty tight and very quiet.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!