iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy Everybody!

Started by Warbird, March 02, 2017, 05:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Howdy folks!  I thought I should let you know that my son ended up getting a sawmill before I did.  He even got my dream mill - a Wood Mizer LT40 with hydraulics!  Here are the pics to prove it:

Father, son, & Wood Mizer sawmill.

At first we thought it was a fire extinguisher sent by Smokey Bear.

He was quite pleased, as you can see!

Thanks Jeff and Tammy!

Hope you've all been well.  The family and I have been doing great!  Just exceptionally busy.  Jay is into hockey now, my job keeps me very occupied, and we get out in the woods every chance we get.  Got a new (to us) Ford truck a few months ago for a great deal, hauling our own fresh water, still working on the house, ice fishing, loving Alaska, etc.  I will try to post more and get caught up on how everyone is doing.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Howdy right back to ya. Jay has grown. What happened??  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

Quote from: thecfarm on March 02, 2017, 06:57:04 PM
Howdy right back to ya. Jay has grown. What happened??  :D

We keep feeding the boy and he keeps growing.  Strangest thing! :D  He came into the world at 10 lbs 6 oz and never looked back.  He remains off the charts for height and weight and he's reading at a very advanced level (he's read through the bible 1.5 times - for real, and he reads all sorts of other books).  Hockey, milling, logging, football, physics, preaching...  if he keeps this up he will be able to succeed at whatever he wants.  <proud dad moment> 

Dan_Shade

Nice to hear from you and glad to hear that everyone is doing well.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

starmac

Just curious Warbird, what part of the area are you hitting the woods at?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

Man oh man that young feller sure is growing. :D Glad everything is going so well for you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

It is so good to hear from you James, and thank you for including the pictures of Jay.  My what a grown up kid he has become and I see that he still has that smile.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Love the pictures, and it's so good to see you and Jay again!   8)
Say when

scsmith42

Good to hear from you James!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome back to quote the theme song of the Kotter show
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Warbird

Quote from: starmac on March 02, 2017, 08:35:21 PM
Just curious Warbird, what part of the area are you hitting the woods at?

Another Fairbanksan!  During the winter, we like to rent various cabins that the DNR runs.  They've cabins all over the place that you can drive to, others require cross country skiing, snowshoeing, or snow machining in to.  For ice fishing, Birch Lake and Quartz Lake are pretty good.  I'm hoping to get a rack for the truck to be able to haul a buddy's canoe and then go canoeing a lot this summer.  That's where you can really get away from most folks and get into the deeper wilderness.

Have you been in Fairbanks long?  How did you find this forum?

Thanks for the warm greetings everyone.  :)

starmac

I have been here about 8 years, but was back and forth a few years before that.
I ran across the forum, looking for info on milling.

Does your buddy have a motor on his canoe, or are you planning on canoe trips with road access to a takeout point?

If motorized, Minto lakes is a good trip.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Warbird

I think just paddles.  I might get my own boat at some point but I'm not getting any younger and sleeping on the ground is quickly becoming less than pleasant.  In a year or two, we'll have to decide if we want a camping trailer or a slide-in camper for the truck bed.  It's only an F-150 so we can't go too crazy on the slide-in.

We may have chatted here in the past - apologies if I forgot.  Good to see another Alaskan.  This forum has always been one of the best places on the Internet.  Lots of good folks here.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!