iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric chainsaws

Started by rick carpenter, March 01, 2017, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick carpenter

I'm not considering buying an electric!

When my old 14" Homelite electric (given to me a loooong time ago) died, I started looking for a replacement and quickly found out that gas-powered was better and safer than electric. That's when I bought my MS170, a little over a year ago. But if electric chainsaws are as dangerous as they sound, with PPE chaps not being able to handle their torque, why are they still being sold? And what/who is their market? Is there a safety difference between corded and battery chainsaws? I could possibly see electric pole saws being safer than regular electric chainsaws but I don't know why you'd ever choose an electric pole saw over a gas model.

Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

sawguy21

I don't see the modern electric chainsaw being any more dangerous, as soon as the grip is released the chain stops immediately and the ones I have used cannot be operated one handed. They certainly have their place for both the professional and the homeowner. Same with the electric pole saw, it is lighter and easier to handle suitable for light work by the occasional user.
I have had landscape contractors and arborists tell me they have environmentally conscious customers who will not allow gas operated equipment to be used especially two stroke. They forget where the electricity and exotic battery materials come from but that is another discussion.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

There must be a future in Li on batteries.
In the latest news it looks like a 1500 square kilometer area in southern Manitoba is being prospected and staked for lithium mining.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DelawhereJoe

I'm sorry to tell you its not for batteries, its for meds for all the ppl that are manic after the loss of Mrs. Clinton to Mr. Trump.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

That's funny Joe!! :D

New Stihl press release this afternoon (March 1 2017)

https://youtu.be/DXzazzLqiLk
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Gearbox

I went on a cruse back in 85 . One morning I woke about 6:30 and laid there hearing a noise that didn't belong . I know that noise but couldn't figure it out . That night at dinner I walked in and saw a ice sculpture .The light went on electric chain saw .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!