iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lookie what I found.

Started by Jeff, December 07, 2004, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'll have to get it signed when the author gets back from having Pizza with Chet. :D

A Steal on Ebay. 8) I had a copied edition, but now I got the real thing. :)

Underwater Logging by John Cayford and Ronald E. Scott, a 1st edition, 1964 Cornell Maritime Press softback.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WoodSmith

Jeff,
Is the title self explainitory?
Is it a good read?

Jeff

Its a technical book. You want me to comment on whether its a good read or not when one of our admins wrote it?  Thats like trying to answer that "do I look fat in this" question. :D

I just won this auction tonight.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

Good find Jeff. Wow Ron Scott , I am amazed at alot of people on here . I like the ebay forestry section alot .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

Yep! You look fat in that to me! ;D
Ya need a grits diet.

etat

Cool find!  Especially considering one of the authors!

Awhile back I bought three full sized Adaze's, two with handles on Ebay for eight dollars and change.  I been using one of them to clean the brick ledge around my foundation so I could lay bricks.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Paschale

Hey...that is nifty!  Just don't get word to that seller on eBay about this here forum, cuz if we get word of another one on here, there'll surely be a bidding war.  ;D I see how you waited to let us all in on this gem you uncovered Jeff AFTER you won the bid.   :D

Very Cool stuff!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

So will we be seeing the copied edition in the Commerce section, soon? ;D

Let's see, now.  You got a book that is on a subject of interest to you, and you know the author personally. Pretty DanG special, if you ask me. :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WoodSmith

CK,
What category do they list them type of woodworking tools under, or do you just type in adze, etc., I'm not real familiar with ebay?
Is it me or did I see Jeff's face turn red? ;D

etat

The best deals on Ebay are when someone doesn't know what they have, and list it in the wrong place. I learned this one time when Jeff was talking about Ebay.  I ran across these when I was looking for something, I don't remember what, and checked the sellers other items.  The one without the handle had a place chipped out on it.  Over half the tools in my shop came from Ebay. Paid, 8.50  Shipping on these items were ran the price up to 26.41..  I also use a bidsnipe program most every time.

As i said I been using em to clean around my foundation, and occasionally trenching. ;D

Gonna have to keep me an eye out for a copy of that book! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

We have similar tools to your adze, it's a grub hoe (proper term is pulaski). Has another blade turned 90 degrees for cutting through roots. Was originally designed for fire fighting.

Pulaski Link
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

Gonna show my ignorance here.  

Now I'm curious.  Are these grubbing hoes or adze's.  This question was sorta on my mind when I bought them but I bought them anyways.  I knew the use I would use for one of them, digging in heavy red dirt and busting mortar that dropped down on my brick ledge when I was laying the blocks. . One of em has a homemade handle.  Both the ones with the handles have different angles on the blade.  Neither is 90 degrees to the handle and they have just a bit of curve to them.. Also one of them the blade is squared up at the tip, the other the blade tip is rounded somewhat.  Those two takes a round handle that just seems to wedge in.   The one without the handle would take a square handle where it goes in.  It has a lot more curve on the blade than the other two.  I can see a mark on it but I haven't cleaned it up to see what it is.  I don't know if the two with handles have marks on them or not.  All were sharpened but not for a  long time.  I pretty much always had heard of a grubbin hoe cause I've got an old one that was my grandpa's.  It's lighter than these and with a squarer blade.  Until fairly recently I had never even heard of an adaze.  These will wind up hanging on my front porch along with two crosscut saws, some old horse bits, one old horse shoe, a old set of beam type cotton scales and weight, two old wash boards , a double set of logging single trees, a old cant hook, a set of old cotton cards, a old chest type hand drill, and other various old stuff as I manage to dig it out from where I've hid it over the years or collect it or beg borrow or steal it from kinfolks. I been forgin out  some square nails and hangers and hanging some of this stuff up as I've had time.

DanG

Charles, drawin' on my limited experience on such matters, I will opine that the one without a handle is an Adze. The other two are grubbing hoes.

Swampydonk, what you are calling a "Pulaski" is what we would call a mattock. That's gotta be about the handiest tool you could have around the ol' homestead. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Whether you can recognize an adz or grubbing hoe as different tools is made easier if you realize that the adz has a squared off head.  The hole that the handle sticks into is square or rectangular.  The handle is quite light and generally has curve to facilitate aiming the edge such that it can produce a flat surface.

The grubbing hoe is a heavier tool, uses a round handle and the hole in the head is round or oval.  Its heft is to facilitate the cutting of roots, heavy clays and turf roots.

An Adz is a fine instrument for "carving" wood..  A grubbing hoe is a heavy implement.used for heavy digging.

An old timber framer or carpenter would have a heart-attack if he saw you digging in the ground with an adz.  It would be the same to him as if you had used his straight razor to open a can of beans.

Bruce_A

Pulaski is actually lighter than a true mattock.  Square handle usually denotes adze,  lips on sides denote lip adze[ duh ].  Ship adze usually has spike on back to drive spikes in with .  Lots of them had the lips also. Common carpenter adze used to be referred to as foot adze in reference to what it usually ended up cutting on the inexperenced.  Using a true adze to hack dirt is SICK, sort of like laying a loaded rifle in a mud puddle. ::) ::)

etat

Good thing it was a hoe then huh!  :D

Thanks for helpin continue my education. I won't forget.:)

I havn't ever shaved with a straight razor, afraid I'd cut my own throat (I kinda do that sometimes anyways) but I've got an old one somewhere.

I bought this from Ebay for my wifes birthday back in September.  I'm pretty sure it's a telephone.  ???

Tom

Actually, Charles, I think it is a Carriage Light.  :D

etat

Point taken :D

I fount my straight razor.   I keep cuttin my own throat I'd just as well just to go ahead and shave with it. :)

DanG

Well, it youster be a telephone. Ain't so sure how it would fair in today's digital environment, though.

That old adze is too far gone to be useful for woodworking. Ya might as well use it for a grubbing hoe. :-/  The foot-adze was so named because of the way it was used. You would hold up the toe of your boot and make your strike below that, so the adze wouldn't bounce up into your shin. A well sharpened adze can make a cripple of you in a skinny second if you aren't careful. Some well-placed shoe leather will keep you up and around for a long time to come. :)

Tom

You're right DanG.  Modern telephones are very impersonal. The old ones had a real person on the other end.

I remember picking up the phone and the operator saying "number please".  

I was real Little, see, so I says, "I want to talk to Granddaddy".  

The operator would say, "Hi, Tommy, how are you doing this morning?"

"Fine, I don't remember his number"

"Just a minute".

"OK, thank you".

'ring-ring-ring

.......and like magic, Granddaddy's secretary would answer.  ;D   He was the County and Juvenile Judge, you see. :).

CHARLIE

Yup Tom and our number was 403 and our cousin's number was 567R  (R stood for rural I reckon, cause back then they were out in the sticks).

Once the operators went on strike. I picked up the phone (I was little ya see) and a man said "Whaddayawant?" in a rather gruff voice. Scared the peewoddledosquat out of me.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

The "R" meant that it was a Party Line, Charlie. :)

CHARLIE

That don't make since Tom.....Rural starts with "R" and Party starts with "P".  Could it be that all rural phones happened to be party lines?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

I 'member when we lived on Washington street in Thomasville, Ga in the early '50s. Our number was 548J. I guess we musta been on a 16 party line. Ya had ta listen for the right sequence of rings to know if the call was your's.  You'd pick up the phone to make a call, and the operator would say, "Numbah puh-leeeze."  They had this trained way of pronouncing all the numbers, too. 5 was fah-eve, and 9 was nah-eeen, etc. Many, many years later, I worked with a lot of women who had been operators in the early days. They all still pronounced the numbers that way. :D

Tom

Yep! It means that they had a party line.  Different letters might've meant different things but I'll bet it had to do with the area.   They weren't Rural when they got the number.  It was assigned when Uncle Pete built their "new" house on Boston Avenue.  I remember Grandmomma talking about how they tried to get a private number and couldn't.

I remember that special talk, DanG.  

The Army tried to get us to talk like that too.  Five was Fi-yive so that it could be understood over the likes of a PRC-10 or PRC-8 while you were under fire. :)

Thank You Sponsors!