iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water oak uses

Started by livemusic, March 01, 2017, 11:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

My town is loaded with Water Oak; it seems to be the dominant oak species, by far. I also see Red Oaks. These water oaks are mature, pretty old trees. Many/most of them have a tall limb-free trunk and it makes me think, geez, these sure do have a nice tall trunk section, seems loggers would like them. In today's market, what are Water Oaks used for? I have cut storm-felled Water Oaks for firewood and it's good wood and splits pretty nice.

~~~
Bill

Ianab

It's one of the "Red Oak" species, and the wood is likely sold under that name. Uses are anything you would use red oak for. flooring, furniture, cabinets etc.

It's not considered "Highly valuable", but it's certainly useful. 

One problem would be Urban trees often have embedded metal which makes them less desirable to sawmills (and hence loggers). A portable sawmill usually more willing to take a chance as a metal strike only takes out a relatively cheap blade that's quickly replaced.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

livemusic

Quote from: Ianab on March 01, 2017, 02:01:13 PM
It's one of the "Red Oak" species, and the wood is likely sold under that name. Uses are anything you would use red oak for. flooring, furniture, cabinets etc.

It's not considered "Highly valuable", but it's certainly useful. 

One problem would be Urban trees often have embedded metal which makes them less desirable to sawmills (and hence loggers). A portable sawmill usually more willing to take a chance as a metal strike only takes out a relatively cheap blade that's quickly replaced.

I didn't pose a very good question, as I didn't mean these trees in town. This species is native here and grows in forests. I was curious what loggers do with them. Take them to a chip mill or just what. And what the end use is.

I like the tree because it makes good firewood and it makes a nice looking tree and produces a lot of acorns, which the critters love. I plan to plant a bunch of acorns I have saved on my land. But I am disappointed that I read where it is not a long-lived tree. I read 60-70 years, which doesn't seem right. They say they grow fast, and they certainly must, because they get big. Growing fast is nice, but leaving a legacy forest, it would be nice to have longer-lived trees. Although in the big pic, it really doesn't matter, lol, as the big pic is a REALLY long time.
~~~
Bill

nativewolf

you might want to post this in the sawmilling section ? or ask magicman?
Liking Walnut

Den-Den

Water oak makes some really nice lumber, unfortunately it also has a tendency to have lots of defective logs.  I will likely be difficult to sell as standing timber.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

killamplanes

In a stack of red oak boards, one water (swamp) oak board will stick out like a sore thumb. The lumber has a black look to it. Good grade mills won't buy it. Alot of times the heart is not sound so it usually will fail making tie.  I sell it for tie or blocking mills. Here there's kinda half breeds water and red then true water. Anyway good luck with it, usable lumber but not real sought after on the market.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

timberking

Our water oak goes in the red oak pile at the sawmill.  Grade, pallet, and ties.

livemusic

Quote from: timberking on March 02, 2017, 09:41:44 AM
Our water oak goes in the red oak pile at the sawmill.  Grade, pallet, and ties.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject; what does "grade" mean? It makes lumber or what does that mean?

As for replier Den-Den who said it often has defective logs... does one not know this until it is cut into by a mill?
~~~
Bill

treeslayer2003

"grade" is any thing better than tie or sewer lumber. water oak,willow oak will grade but rarely will it veneer. it grows to fast and has wide rings which is not good for veneer.

pineywoods

I made a couple of hardwood floors with water oak. Worked ok. Air dried first, then ran it through my solar kiln..BTW folks around here don't know anything about water oak. They call it pin oak, which it isn't. Pin oak is not native to louisiana I am told. I once had an elderly neighbor who was known far and wide for his beautifully hand carver boat paddles. His wood of choice was water oak.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

livemusic

Quote from: pineywoods on March 02, 2017, 11:14:11 PM
I made a couple of hardwood floors with water oak. Worked ok. Air dried first, then ran it through my solar kiln..BTW folks around here don't know anything about water oak. They call it pin oak, which it isn't. Pin oak is not native to louisiana I am told. I once had an elderly neighbor who was known far and wide for his beautifully hand carver boat paddles. His wood of choice was water oak.

Right! Around here, pin oak is used a lot but they mean willow oak.

Very interesting about the elderly man making boat paddles; how I would love to have one! I wonder what made him choose water oak. Seems other woods would have been better. Seems I have heard ask is good.

To those who have mentioned veneer, what hardwoods make the best veneer grade? Interesting.  Based on comments, I guess those grow slow.

I came across a bummer yesterday. It was a red oak, still standing but dead. Probably died due to a recent drought. This tree was probably a 36" DBH and what was so interesting is that the trunk was SO large for SO high up the tree. This tree hardly had much diameter reduction, it was fat all the way to the top. It slimmed slowly but not much. I am going to cut it for firewood.
~~~
Bill

timberking

We squirrel hunted the pin oak flats and even though I know better, that's still what I call them.

pineywoods

The use of water oak for boat paddles was a matter of making use of available resources. He split/rived 8 inch wide boards out of a 6 ft long log, then worked them down with a drawknife and spoke plane. Finish off with a broken piece of glass as a scraper. No sawmill, no power tools, no sandpaper. Lots of old fashioned hand labor. You'll find them all over union parish hanging on the wall as a piece of art..He's passed on, but son-inlaw still does a few..There's some pics in my gallery and a post in the wood working forum...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

nativewolf

Quote from: livemusic on March 03, 2017, 03:27:58 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on March 02, 2017, 11:14:11 PM

Right! Around here, pin oak is used a lot but they mean willow oak.

Very interesting about the elderly man making boat paddles; how I would love to have one! I wonder what made him choose water oak. Seems other woods would have been better. Seems I have heard ask is good.

To those who have mentioned veneer, what hardwoods make the best veneer grade? Interesting.  Based on comments, I guess those grow slow.

I came across a bummer yesterday. It was a red oak, still standing but dead. Probably died due to a recent drought. This tree was probably a 36" DBH and what was so interesting is that the trunk was SO large for SO high up the tree. This tree hardly had much diameter reduction, it was fat all the way to the top. It slimmed slowly but not much. I am going to cut it for firewood.

Still could get it sawed.  Would make some nice beams maybe? 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!