iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found in 18th century farmhouse basement floor. What are these?

Started by Delawhere Jack, February 28, 2017, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Did some milling for a client in Elsinboro NJ Monday. He lives in a farmhouse built some time in the second half of the 18th century, possibly as early as 1760. When we finished milling he showed me around the house. In the basement floor there are two earthenware vessels set into the brick. One is about 11-12" around, about 3" deep and bowl shaped. The other is 8-9" around, about 10" deep and shaped like a crock. He said that each one was located below where a staircase had been originally. He doesn't know what purposed they served, and several queries to historical societies - museums have not been able to provide an answer. He said that other homes in the area dating back to the same era also have these. The home is near the Delaware river, where it becomes the Delaware Bay. Any thoughts on what purpose these served?

Joe Hillmann

My first guess is they are for cold/cool storage of perishable food items.

low_48

Could there have been a cistern under the floor for early running water? I guess you'd see other hints of plumbing where the gutters would have been brought in.

WV Sawmiller

Jack,

Could that be a seat for a support pole/post of some sort? You mention it was below where a staircase used to be. I could see something like that being included to help stabilize some sort of vertical support pole/post so it could not slip. I'd check the distance from each other and check to see what was above them. Let us know if you ever confirm what it actually is.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jcbrotz

If they are bellow the floor level then maybe where they put the sump pump for when they get water in the basement, other than that they are a nice conservation piece. :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Roxie

The fact that they are in the basement, brought back my memories of a very old house we lived in when I was a child.  The basement had an open well just to the left of the stairway.  Perhaps the crocks were simply bricked over the old well opening?  Fascinating. 
Say when

Roxie

On the other hand, after reading this:  http://www.kjarrett.com/livinginthepast/2014/12/12/in-at-the-ground-floor-exploring-a-17th-century-home-in-south-derbyshire/

Perhaps they were used to store and chill butter or dairy products?  Fascinating. 

The house we lived in that had the well in the basement, also had a dumb waiter.

Say when

Den Socling

thecfarm

I have no idea,but wonder if each one is a different shape,at the other houses too?To hold a certain tall vessel so it would not fall over?
I make things here,just for my own use. Someone else sees it and wonder why. Than I show them and they say,good idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on February 28, 2017, 10:30:33 PM
My first guess is they are for cold/cool storage of perishable food items.

I am convinced that you were right.   :)
Say when

Ox

I'll bet they used these lower areas for colder storage of a crock and pan of butter or cream or cheese, etc.  The eskimos when building their igloos will include a small lower area at the bottom.  All the coldest air will sink here.  They will live and sleep up on a shelf above the freezing air and it will be above freezing on their shelf where they sleep.  Same principle applies here I think.  If you took a measurement at the bottom of these holes it will probably be noticeably cooler there.  We have an old hand well next to our house.  It's maybe 10 foot or so to the bottom right now (it was filled in years ago but we were trying to open it back up).  Down in there it's cold enough to see your breath when it's 90 outside.  It's close to my mill so on occasion I would tie my water jug to some twine and lower it down there.  It was cold water coming up when I did that!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bucknwfl

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 28, 2017, 10:43:31 PM
Jack,

Could that be a seat for a support pole/post of some sort? You mention it was below where a staircase used to be. I could see something like that being included to help stabilize some sort of vertical support pole/post so it could not slip. I'd check the distance from each other and check to see what was above them. Let us know if you ever confirm what it actually is.

I agree with mr green

If it was easy everybody would be doing it

21incher

Were there any holes on the wall above them where a spring could have piped into the basement and they were drains that were plugged after indoor plumbing was added. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Delawhere Jack

I'm guessing cold storage for some sort of food as well. Too small to act as cisterns. Sooner or later, someone here on FF will have a more exact answer. It's amazing the knowledge base that's gathered here.

Randy88

My house still has the hole in the concrete floor, does the shallower hole have a hole in the bottom as well, that might be plugged, is there a hole in the deeper one either on the side of the hole or bottom??

A lot of houses around here have them, for decades they were used to remove water either by hand or with a sump pump.    Our basement had the hole and a bucket was used before electricity was introduced and afterwards, sump pumps mounted on a pedestal with the motor sticking up above the floor maybe two feet, with a lever and the float sticking into the sump hole.     Some houses had several shallower holes in the floor, with a pipe connecting those holes to the deeper hole cemented in under the floor so whoever had to sump the water out by hand, didn't have to walk around the basement to scoop out water, it was all done from one larger hole.     

Some in the area, back in that time frame had a hole in the deeper hole and had a tile that ran out of the bottom and outside the house wall and into a tile line, so nobody had to dip the water out by hand, but those were rare, long before many accepted tile for drainage purpose's would work, or were too expensive to justify for a house, when, now don't bash me here, when the woman of the house could do it for no cost, same for kids.   

Being close to a river or bay somewhat follows with this idea, they were trying to keep the basement dry to use for storage, otherwise the basement would always be wet and damp and mold would be an issue.       

Not saying its what was done, but around me its very common due to any basement without it would have water inches deep on the floor pretty much year round if not more, I was told back in the day, that dipping out water was a several times a day chore year round. 

Thank You Sponsors!