iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this?

Started by DR_Buck, February 28, 2017, 07:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

A guy I work with found this thing in his grandfather's estate.   It was in with some gun and ammo related stuff.   There is an almost unreadable label on it that has the words   "Warning"   "Black Powder"  "cartridge" "combustion" and "unsafe" printed on it.   It's 21 inches long and 4 1/4 wide.   He took it to a friend that is an antique dealer and has "connections" with people that know things.   They all had no idea about what it is .

EDIT:   The black square that is hinged is made of wood and there is a metal cup fastened on to it.   One side has a leather pad on it, probably for banging on something.   The picture with the piece opened is at the max opening.   It does not open further.  The piece on the inside with the hole in the center is directly under the metal cup on the black piece of wood.

Questions he wants to know:

• What is it called?
  • What is it used for?
  • How is it used?
  • How old is it?
  • Where was it made or who made them?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ljohnsaw

popcorn_smiley

That is interesting - from the label, I'd put the age at less than 100 years old.  Kbeitz probably has 3 or 4 of them ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

Without trying to be funny, it looks like a "Saturday night special". Something rigged to to fire a cartridge for some purpose.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: tule peak timber on February 28, 2017, 08:24:51 PM
Without trying to be funny, it looks like a "Saturday night special". Something rigged to to fire a cartridge for some purpose.  Rob

Ahhhh, you may be on to something!  Perhaps used in a slaughter house or to put down a large animal?  But don't see any blood on it...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DMcCoy

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 28, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
popcorn_smiley

That is interesting - from the label, I'd put the age at less than 100 years old.  Kbeitz probably has 3 or 4 of them ;) :D
:D :D :D

Percussion nail driver?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff will find one of these in the bottom of a drawer next week.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

It's a black powder goat castrator
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Joe Hillmann

It looks like an alarm system of some sort.  I would guess a primer goes in the hole and it is closed.  Then when it gets hit or pressed on hard enough the primer goes off.  Similar set ups are used as signal devices on tip ups for ice fishing.

I can't find a link to the exact item I am looking for but this should give you an idea.
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_icefishing-fishing_gf_aa016205a/

And another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Yjmx2xzIc

Delawhere Jack

Looks like it was designed to fire a blank cartridge. Does the little round bump on that hinged metal piece line up with the center of the hole, or on the edge? What's the diameter of the hole?

I'd guess that it was either a noisemaker for the shear fun of it, or meant for scaring off birds....... or goats.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If its an alarm system....Jeff was close.  :D :D :D

Joe Hillmann

Do you have photos of the eye hook at the other end of the paddle?

DR_Buck

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on February 28, 2017, 10:56:47 PM
Do you have photos of the eye hook at the other end of the paddle?

It's actually a nail.  Sort of looks like a drywall nail that has been added.

rjwoelk

I know I know!!!  You put a primer In  it then you have a guage as to how hard you paddle that naughty child. If it set the primer off you was to severe.   :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jeff

I'll bet if Loggah happens by, he'll know.

DR_Buck

Over 600 views and still no "serious" response as to what it is?    say_what     I'm beginning to lose faith in the Forestry Forum.  smiley_cry     I really expected a reply with a full history on it within the first hour of posting.    ;D

Warbird

Is it a device for reloading or igniting old bullets?

Jeff

Quote from: DR_Buck on March 02, 2017, 05:46:34 PM
Over 600 views and still no "serious" response as to what it is?    say_what     I'm beginning to lose faith in the Forestry Forum.  smiley_cry     I really expected a reply with a full history on it within the first hour of posting.    ;D

Yeah, you probably would be better off asking at the laundromat

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 28, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
popcorn_smiley

I would like to say that I have 3-4 of them... But I never seen anything
quite like that before... Not even close...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

It reminds me of a"slapstick", only with a lot more slap. It's obviously designed to be swung against something to get it to fire the blank, but it's padded so as to not damage whatever you are hitting. The only result would be a loud bang.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

florida

My guess would be an early version of a cattle prod. The bump would sting a bit and the noise would sure get them moving.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Woodhauler

Flash for a old camera??
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Den Socling

I thought that cattle prod sounded like a good guess but then, you would have to reload after one crack. I've done a bunch of Googling and haven't found anything similar.

Woodhauler

The warning may be not to use black powder?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Thank You Sponsors!