iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry School Options

Started by andrew_denault, February 28, 2017, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_denault

Hello everyone, I'm going to apologize in advance because I've never used a forum before. I am a 20 year old army reservist and am considering a degree in forestry. I'm mainly trying to find a school that is geared more towards silviculture, not so much towards management and harvesting of forests. I wouldn't mind maybe minoring in entomology, but that is not as important. I'm currently looking into SUNY for their forest biotechnology program, and Michigan Tech's forest degree with a minor in plant biotechnology. Does anyone have experience with these programs? Would I stand a chance in the job market with either option? I guess I'm just trying to avoid the agricultural side of it and lean more towards research. I would really appreciate any information anyone has. Thank you!

Texas Ranger

Collect course catalogs from various colleges/universities and compare what they offer.  I went to Mizzo and I know that the curriculum  has changed in the 50 since I graduated, so check with the pros, the educators.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Catenaut

Select your forestry school based on where you want to live and have your career rather than course offerings. All the true BSF's will be about the same, (they have to be) but the education is very regionalized, such that a forester from Michigan is unlikely to succeed in Alabama, and vice versa. The only time I've seen forestry transfer well is from Maine, those folks seem to do well in the piney woods of the deep south, but I cant even count the number of mid-west foresters the paper mills brought to the south east only to fail and quit a year later.

petefrom bearswamp

I am a NY guy thru and thru, so ESF, Ranger School or Paul smith's would be my suggestion.
Regarding northern boys in the south, maybe green briars, other undergrowth and reptiles have something to do with it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

If you want to do research, you should consider a graduate degree if you want to compete in that specialized job market, and most of the research jobs are with the Government and Universities. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

Both Michigan Tech and SUNNY are good choices. I'm partial to Michigan Tech. ;)
~Ron

ppine

Silviculture is management.  There is little need for it without logging and harvesting. Get those concepts squared away at the beginning. 
Forester

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Catenaut on March 03, 2017, 12:01:21 PMsuch that a forester from Michigan is unlikely to succeed in Alabama, and vice versa.

I graduated from Michigan Tech and of my 30 or so classmates only half dozen or so are left in the lake states. Many of them are working in the south east as well as the north west and doing just fine. They all have told me that once you get a job someplace and learn how things are done you realize that the science of it is all the same just the mechanic of how things are done differ.

Blue Noser

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 04, 2017, 09:11:34 AM
I am a NY guy thru and thru, so ESF, Ranger School or Paul smith's would be my suggestion.
Regarding northern boys in the south, maybe green briars, other undergrowth and reptiles have something to do with it.

Which school are you referring to as "Ranger School"?

ppine

It is entirely possible to go to forestry school in Michigan and be a very competent forester in a place like Miss or Al.  You just have to get up to speed on some new species. The concepts are the same.  I went to school at the U of Washington and worked on contracts in Alaska, California, Colorado, N Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming, South Dakota and lots of other places. 
Forester

dgdrls

Quote from: Blue Noser on September 20, 2017, 06:04:38 AM
Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 04, 2017, 09:11:34 AM

Which school are you referring to as "Ranger School"?

Wanakena,   http://www.esf.edu/rangerschool/

D

Carson-saws

I was curious...can ANY of the "environmental science" curriculum be achieved at Community Colleges.  I know here, there are Community Colleges that cover quite the gambit of classes in environmental sciences. I know they do quite a bit of field work and applicable studies in the many parks that surround the areas.  What are the particular courses that make it so community colleges can not be accredited courses.  I would think that it would be advantageous for both the college and the students attempting to pursue such a degree and can not afford to attend the "big schools."  What is stopping this from folks being able to achieve their goals and become a licensed Forester?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

bucknwfl

Sounds like maybe to lean to a natural resources degree. You will get plenty of forestry and plenty of research. So you could lean which ever way the market takes you

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Stinger4me

You might check into the courses offered and/or required to graduate from the school you choose.  Some states are specific about course requirements to be eligible for specific jobs.  The State of Michigan is one of those states. Just my $.02!

Thank You Sponsors!