iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flying with a chainsaw

Started by obcexp, February 28, 2017, 10:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obcexp

We have been living in Brazil and are moving back to the states. Last year I bought a Tekna CS53SAC anyone know anything about them? I like the saw and would like to bring it back with me whats the rules on having a saw in checked baggage.

mad murdock

from my years working in aviation, and for a 121/135 air carrier, as long as it is purged of any fuel and oil, it will not be considered hazmat, so it could be carried as checked baggage, i would put it in some kind of tote.  There should be no problem bringing it, you would obviously want to remove the bar from the sae also so it could be packaged in a smaller container, and not be as easy to damage from the baggage handlers (smashers).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OntarioAl

You have to have some documentation certifying that it has been purged that means somebody licensed and approved by the airline. The Airline in question can check the IATA regulations and inform you what has to be done so it is Not considered Hazmat.
Up here we fly to forest fires with power saws in helicopters and operate provincially under a federal aviation exemption. When we travel interprovincial the saws are purged at our provincial recycle facility and shipped as air freight.
Al
Al Raman

obcexp

Thanks I'll check with the airline here. Has anybody ever heard of Tekna brand? It appears to be a good saw reminds me of the old Stihl 028s in weight feel and power, so I don't think its made in Brazil, most things made here are junk. I'm thinking Japanese.   

Riwaka

I am thinkin the tekna brand is a Chinese made chainsaw. Stihl has a factory that makes powertools in Brazil that are exported Worldwide, Stihl probably invested in raising the training and skill levels of the Brazil employees.
https://youtu.be/iuX9ATIrlrs  (US stihl training)

Stihl in Brazil for 40 years book (a few years back)
http://crm.stihl.com.br/livro40anos/STIHL_Brazil_40_years_book.pdf

WV Sawmiller

I know you are attached to your saw and glad you found one you like. I'd think once purged should be no problem to transport as checked baggage. A big question you need to ask yourself is how you will support and maintain it if you do bring it to the USA. Can you find even common use parts like drive sprockets and such? If parts are different and not available you might be better off to sell it in Brazil and buy something more supportable here. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

obcexp

That's my concern I was wondering if anybody had heard of or know of support for that brand.   

lopet

When I first read the title of your post , I thought you had powered a ultra light with a chain saw and you are in the air.  :D :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!