iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About the Forestry Forum

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2017, 09:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I get questions from people that I meet, or maybe see my coat or hat or old truck, about what the Forestry Forum is, and what it does, its importance in the forest products community and why they should be involved as a member or sponsor. Since I am a natural wonderer, :) that had me thinking, what would a member say if asked? I reckon it's close to what I would say, but I really don't know without asking you, the members. 

So I'm asking.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DMcCoy

A place to discuss, learn, share ideas, tips, and knowledge in regard to anything related to forestry and forest related industries for both professional and hobbyists.

OK - anything that weights as much as green wood, is covered in dirt, bugs and snow doesn't sound much like a hobby.

Andries

"The Forestry Forum is an internet community that promotes the very best practices, products and processes relating to forests and forest products."

There.

Now you're gonna say that I took this vision quest thing way too seriously.  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

DanG

I say pretty much what you say, Jeff, but I don't usually wait for them to ask. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ljohnsaw

I am involved in a few things like Boy Scouts, my son's Robotics and donating blood products every week.  People notice that I seem to have a lot of free time so they ask what I do for a living.  I say I'm retired. 

Well, what do you do with all your free time?  - I'm building a cabin.

Really?, How'd you know how to do that?  - Well, I tell them the Forestry Forum. 

There is a wealth of information on ANYTHING to do with wood.  Then I mention I'm actually cutting down my trees and milling them for the cabin.  WHAT!  How do you know how to do THAT?  Same answer - the knowledge here and the willingness to share is like no other place. 

When I was looking for information on designing a timber frame cabin, I Googled the Forestry Forum.  When it came to designing my mill, I came here for advice and to shamelessly borrow ideas from the manufactures.  When it came to picking out a chain saw, I came here for advise and information and even learned how to pronounce it (Sthil is NOT pronounced Stee HILL or Still) :D  When it came to upgrading my mill blade guides, I came here (Cook's).  When it came to log handling on the mill, I came here (Logrite).  I have a small stove for my future cabin, but I am thinking about your latest sponsor, Grills 'n Ovens.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TKehl

Short time member, but here's my perspective:

It's an online equivalent of the general store/feed mill where anyone interested in forestry management, harvest, lumber production, and wood usage get together to share knowledge, stories, idea, jokes, brag, and shoot the breeze. 

It's also a mentoring ground where "oldtimers" teach "newcomers" regardless of age.  (I find it interesting how often people get a sawmill in retirement and get answers from people half their age.)

The group doesn't get caught up in politics or controversy (unless restricted topics and only if you ask to enter).  [FYI, I'm grateful for this as I hear enough of it daily that I don't want more  ;D] 

It's a group of decision makers, industry experts, and doers from backyard hobbyist to large commercial operations and everything in between.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WV Sawmiller

Good descriptions already provided but I'd include that it is privately owned, family friendly, non-political association of diverse but similar minded individuals who are interested in Forestry Products and procedures, sawmilling, wood-working, activities and offer thoughtful suggestions, ideas and help for their members and quests in a non-judgemental fashion.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WH_Conley

I picked and pecked one reply that went somewhere in internet world somewhere.

The forum has come to be an extended family, hard to believe I have been here for 13 years. No end to the experience and knowledge found here. The trust for the members carries over to the sponsors as well. Be it Boots, Blades or Chainsaws I will come here for advice before making a major purchase.
Bill

tule peak timber

Jeff,
    The Forestry Forum is light on opinions and heavy on facts, experience, and knowledge from its diverse membership. The internet is like an ocean where people fish for what they want to hear back. I can't eat guesses! My business is vertically integrated from log handling through fine finishing and even engineering with wood. When I upgraded my mills I came to the FF for research; data on chainsaws, heavy equipment, business plans, all sorts of practical information, is available here from members' ongoing experiences. I look to the FF to improve what I do, to tweak how I make my living, and to look better to my customers. Thanks Jeff for a great site !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

scsmith42

All great responses above. 

What I would add is that there are a lot of different dimensions to what the Forestry Forum provides to it's members. 

Some of these dimensions are related to technical topics such as milling and drying, timberframing or equipment related;  some are related to industry specific topics such as forestry, timber harvesting or stand management; and some are related to personal topics such as assisting people in need though advice, prayer, or direct involvement.

The best part of it is that the overall environment is one of friendliness and support, which is frequently lacking in so many other places.

There is no other place quite like it.

One of the reasons why this forum is unique is the participation from an unusually high percentage of industry decision makers and knowledgeable individuals in the timber related industry.  It has a high percentage of "doers" both in the field as well as in the office, that have an extraordinary amount of insight into our industry as well as influence in decisions.

Our membership includes folks that "wrote the book", both figuratively as well as literally regarding milling and drying; it includes representatives from the manufactures that make the equipment used in this industry, as well as the people who use it.

In short, on this forum - unlike many other options such as Facebook or other forums - I can "trust" the advice that I receive because it's from knowledgeable members that know their subject matter and have no ulterior motive in providing advice (unlike some sales personnel).

Although I may not click on many banner ads; of the sponsors listed on the left side and top of my screen I have personally done repeat business with seven of them; all but one of which is ONLY due to their participation on this forum and the general reputation that they have amongst the FF members. 

The exception is Stihl; I had previously purchased an 044 before joining the FF.  The other 5 pieces of Stihl equipment that I've added since joining the FF was impacted by the feedback from this forum though.

I have done significant business with former sponsors as well, but reduced that business after they dropped their sponsorship of the FF.

There are several reasons that I support these sponsors; but the main reason is that by their participation here I know that they are a reputable and vetted entity that I can trust. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

james

The FF is also a place to get answers ,sometimes before you new you had a question ??? ??? :P :P
james

Logger RK

Very informative site. As Dad used to say,your never to old to learn. And some day I'll figure out how to put pictures on. I'm glad other's do. When I first got my I Phone I came on this site,I don't think there's a day since that I haven't been on,just to see what's new 8)

sandhills

I agree james, and with all other responses.  I love the fact that no matter what question you might have about anything under the sun, someone here has already dealt with it and is more than willing to help out.  The atmosphere here is unmatched compared to any other website I've been to as well, Jeff, you done out done yourself with this  ;).  I told my BIL years ago about this and while he and sis were building their new house they wanted some erc pillars for their front porch so he googled something and guess what popped up  ;D, I just said duh.

slowzuki

I came to the FF wanting to cut the lumber to build my house.  I had 25 acres of mature woods on the property and enough experience with a chainsaw to be dangerous.

I learned how to chose a better chainsaw on here.  I learned about felling techniques that were safer.  I learned how to build a sawmill. I learned how to mill.

I knew nothing about current chainsaws as I only had a 1970's Partner R16 saw with no safety features and a roadside freebie busted saw, due to the feedback on this forum I moved my focus away from homeowner box store Husqvarna's to the Stihl MS-260 and other cheaper Stihl's.  Due to the various threads on here I ended up learning the difference in the homeowner, farmer and pro grades and bit the bullet to go with the MS-260.  Due to the posts on here I didn't get irritated with needing to go to a local saw shop instead of buying a saw online.  People explained the benefits of supporting your brick and mortar dealers for saws.

I liked my 260 so much, it was followed by an MS-360 and MS-361 also selected based on reviews on the FF. If it wasn't for this forum, instead of some of the best chainsaws ever made, I'd have a shelf of broken junk.

The forum also saved me the time it would take to find out Stihl chain was top of the pack.  Same story for finding bandsaw blades for my mill, no bs feedback on performance of products.

Companies can easily buy good reviews on amazon and other online review places, and its easy enough to get a good amazon review after owning something 2 days but that can't replace the in depth years of experience with products that users of this forum collectively have as a group.  That is invaluable.

Below a shot of my 3 favourite saws with my buddies Husqvarna sneaking in the back of the shot.

clww

I like posing questions that I may have, answering questions of others (seldom), and reading answers to questions I forgot to ask concerning products and topics. It may be gardening, what is the correct type of wood for a project, how to BBQ a pig, pictures of a FF member after their latest chainsaw purchase, etc. et al. It's about what works for one, but maybe not another in a family-friendly atmosphere, not found on FB or anywhere else on the WWW. I read entire stories from top to bottom about topics that sometimes are really of no interest to me. Why you may wonder? I read them because I always gather thoughtful insight from a nearly endless supply of knowledge: The Forestry Forum Members.
Everyone is born ignorant. Those that do not learn and grow are doomed to stupidity. I learn something every single time I enter this site!
As you can see from my tagline, I support Stihl (all the way from the 028 Wood Boss to my 090), as well as other manufactures' lines of products.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

The Forestry Forum is also a place to meet some really great people!

Many heartfelt friendships are formed here.

I like the prayer network, for those who may just need their spirits lifted a little or they may be in recovery from a catastrophe!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gearbox

A place for like minded people to help each other .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Roxie

When I think of the Forestry Forum, the two words that come to my mind are trust and integrity of members and sponsors.  I respect the opinions of forum members to the extent that I even selected my washing machine based on forum recommendations.  No matter what you're searching for, these folks have the answer.  I know that there is no place on the web that I would trust the way I trust this forum. 

Say when

Kbeitz

It's a place to find out about things that you thought you already knew.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jwilly3879

A wonderful place to find out how much I didn't know, fact filled and not opinionated.

Ricker

When I tell someone about forestry forum I simply tell them you can find a wealth of information on about any topic that is woods work related. That it is well moderated so you can feel free to ask a question and you won't be attacked by some butt head troll telling you how stupid you are or why you are so obviously wrong with a statement you make.  I enjoy the mutual respect that this forum requests and Jeff demands.

ElectricAl

I have been a FF Member for over 15 years.

To me the Forum is a place Mentor and get Mentored.
The incredible wealth of knowledge to give and receive is available to all who come .

Having great Sponsors makes all this happen.
However the sponsors may not realize how well their Banners Ads work when a customer sees the Banner and then dials the 800 number. There is no direct tie . No way for the Marketing Department to measure Views and Sales.

So it boils down to basic Exposure . Keeping your name fresh in the minds of the consumers you are marketing to.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

E_D_Lewis

I am pretty new to the Forestry Form and am amazed at the wealth of information available and the willingness to share experience and expertise and also amused at the camaraderie and off hand joshing that goes on between members. 
The FF has turned into my GO TO place to answer my specific questions and enlighten me to questions I didn't know I had regarding trees, logs, milling, and all things related to Forestry products.
Thank You for all you do!
MS461, MS250, JD5045E FEL, Alaska Mill

Peter Drouin

All good people here and a fun place to read some.
I do tell people about it if they want a bunch of free info.  :D
I just wish there was a little more people who mill full time and sell retail in the northeast.
To see how they do it. 
A lot better than TV. :D :D :D
And  Big thanks to Jeff who keeps it all together,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sometime ago I started thinking while taking a break from sawing.
As I sat and drank my Sundrop, I thought about what kind of a hit my life would take if the Forestry Forum ceased to exist.
I honestly teared up.
I have met my best friends from the members and sponsors on this site.

What good are friends?
You could not exist without them.
Do you realize everything is covered in this forum from "birth to death".....think about it.
As we live we come face to face with problems where we need someone to turn to.

I feel really comfortable bringing my health problems, my equipment problems, my "need to know how to" problems and asking the questions to my friends here.

I am not the best cook or the best sawyer.....I don't know that much about working on a chainsaw or my sawmill, I need help if I'm hurting in my hip or back, my truck has a skip.....what do I do?.....its all here.

There are Doctors, lawyers, preachers, cooks, woodworkers, mechanics, professional sawyers, musicians, moms and dads, teenagers and seniors, people who sew, paint......my gosh this family is endless with the knowledge we can and do share to help another member in need.

Before I got my mill....I was lost and didn't even know it.
Once I got my mill....I was taught by my new friends how to do things.
I bought the top of the line cant hooks from LOGRITE, bought STIHL chains saws because I needed different sizes, I learned what blades I needed for my WOODMIZER to saw certain wood, I learned what a powder post beetle was and how to commit murder.....but most importantly I learned what friendship and giving was all about.

The rewards are endless on the Forestry Forum   IF YOU GET INVOLVED.
Be humble, give, appreciate, compliment, ask, offer, shake a hand when you can but most of all, love your family.

This is what I tell people about the Forestry Forum......and this is the honest truth.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!