iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it just me or are things a little different?

Started by Pete J, December 07, 2004, 05:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

I've remembered in past years, the time leading up to christmas just being bombarded with endless ads to buy crap because "it's christmas" It got to where I couldn't stand the whole holiday season stretch. Things seems less intense this year. Could it be retailers are finally starting to listen to the public a little bit? Just my current impression.

Furby

Tom

The paper has been full of Bowl Games rather than Christmas ads here.  Decorations are beginning to be put up at homes.  It doesn't look like there will be as many people decorating as used to.   Unfortunately there were some threatened law-suites over the last few years where people were wanting to sue neighbors for decorating their houses.  The excusses ran the gamut from too much light to too much traffic.

Perhaps some of the slowing down of Christmas at the retail level has to do with the growing number of citizens in our society who act annoyed at holidays or other celebrations that indicate that someone believes in a higher power.

Have you heard of the Salvation Army Bell Ringers being turned away from Target this year?  Target seems to stay in the fore-front when it comes to "not" acknowledging many things that have been important in this country.  I seem to remember one of the last ones had to do with a Veteran.

People are trying to turn it into a "Holiday Season" or "Little Red Elf Day" or something non-descript.  

Have you heard of the schools that are forbidding Christmas Carols this year?

I think everyone should go caroling and whistle or sing Christmas songs as they walk in the mall and greet everyone they see with "Merry Christmas" and put these minority humbugs in their place.....in their face. :)
Merry Christmas Y'all

sprucebunny

You have a good point about the attempted de-religioning of Christmas, Tom.
Has anyone else had trouble finding Christmas cards that actually say "Merry Christmas" on them?? Wal-mart didn't have any.Took me three stores to get them.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WH_Conley

Tom, I guess I can't boycott Target over the Salvation Army, I haven't been to one since the Veteran incident. Everybody wants to ignore that whole Christmas season is about the first six letters. Just my 2 cents
Bill

Furby

Yep, look at all the people that have to work over the Christmas holiday, due to stores being open and such, but have New Years off because of all the closings.

Around here it's really cool how many people have decorated their yards and houses. More then ever before, with more going up each day.

Paschale

I hate that pluralistic, politically correct euphemism store clerks are forced to use:  "Have a Happy Holiday."  Bah, Humbug to that!   >:( It's Christmas, for goodness sake!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

Pendulums will swing, ya know.  Maybe the "deChristianization" of Christmas will result in a "reChristianization" of the holiday.  We could experience a relaxation in this season like we haven't seen in many years. And the big retailers will have shot themselves in the foot.....again. ;D

Well, we can always hope. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sigidi

just be lucky a local council over here has just anounced not putting up decorations as the council doesn't have the money  ::)

If the council don't have it who stole it?

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone I won't see inperson before then!!!!! ;D :D
Always willing to help - Allan

DanG

S-Bunny, why don't you just make yer own?  You could spend a couple of minutes with some Elmer's glue and glitter, or MS paint and a printer, add a handwritten note, and I'll guaranDanGtee it will be better recieved than the "best" Hallmark has to offer!

We've sworn off of commercially made decorations here. Linda got some spray paint and is using pine cones, holly leaves, etc, to make "bows" for the packages this year.  Don't go to the "decorations" store. Walmart has it in the paint department. Chrome, copper, and gold paint by Krylon for $2.58 per can. The stuff is great!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandmar

Tom,if I am not mistaken Target stores are owned by a FRENCH conglomerate......that could explain their bah-humbug attitude towards American charities. I am constantly complaining when I see X-mas for Christmas,as this takes the Christ out of Christmas.Most people never even think of this till it is shown to them.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!

Sandmar

CHARLIE

Back when Tom and I were little (yeah, believe it or not....Tom was little at one time), our grandmother would tell us not to ever write 'Christmas' because we would be taking Christ out of Christmas. Well, it seems like the politically correct are doing a heck of a job of taking Christ out of Christmas. A lot of people are trying to take the Christian celebration of Christ's birth and turn it into just a holiday.

Up here, the stores started putting up Santa Claus decorations and lights before Thanksgiving. Even some radio stations were playing Christmas songs before Thanksgiving. Geeeee, can't they wait and let us celebrate our Thanksgiving before they get into their commercialazatioin of Christmas? When someone at a store wishes me a Happy Holiday, I make a point to wish them a Merry Christmas. with a smile.

Merry Christmas everyone and my God bless each and every one of you. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TN_man

I am so glad to hear that there are others out there that feel the same way I do about such matters. If others out there don't want to celebrate a CHRISTmas then they don't have to, but don't change ours to just a winter break or winterfest or the like. May the real reason for the season not be forgotten. ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

MULE_MAN

Well for myself I think too many people forget what Christmas is really all about and that
is Sad. And I guess the biggest thing that's on my mind is are young man fighting & losing
their life for us as we have Christmas over here. I want everybody not to forget God & are
men & women over sea this Christmas.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS & MAY GOD BLESS EVERYONE      

MULE-MAN
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

sprucebunny

DanG--For years now I've just bought cards I like and hand written MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR . But I do errands for other people and they want cards that say it loud and proud.
Pretty soon they will take "In God we trust" off our money.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Engineer

I think the biggest pet peeve of many people, including myself, is the intense over-commercialization of the Christmas holiday.  You see Christmas stuff being sold in Walmart on November 1 now, and this year the local radio stations started in on the music a week before Thanksgiving.  I don't mind the bell-ringing or the sales or the music, but nobody's figured out where to draw the line.  You don't see any other time of year worked up like that because the retail market doesn't depend on other holidays nearly as much.  You'd see acres of crap decorated in red,white and blue if Independence Day was a gift-giving holiday.  Granted, we are only 2-1/2 weeks from Christmas Day, but it gets to be somewhat ridiculous.

It's even worse in my house because my wife and two oldest sons have December birthdays (the oldest will be 13 on Christmas Day!) and so the holiday season has even more focus.    Plus my wife and I have both our families living in the immediate area, so there's always the inevitable family gatherings, which tend to get both of us riled up and snapping at each other.  Usually we can't wait until January 2.  

GF

Seems like everything has been slow around here for the Christmas season, alot of people just are not shopping this year.

We normally buy presents for everyone in the family this year we decided to buy only for the kids, and to have a nice Christmas dinner all together.

Seems like everything in the world is changing rather quickly, alot of the changes are for the worse.  We used to put up Merry Christmas on our agency Website, but anymore do to legal issues we dont even put up Happy Holidays or anything.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Tom_in_Mo.

Well, folks, there is not much that I can say, for you all have hit it on the head, I also noticed all the CHRISTmas Cards having seasons greeting and happy holidays on them. Its a shame. Did the Pilgrams, when they first landed, neal down and thank GOD for their safe journey, Did General Washington, ORDER his troops to neal down and PRAY to GOD for protection, Isn't this history? I know I am just a Hillbilly with not much school housing,
Jeff,I wish there was some way that we could all send a message to the TROOPS  through this forum letting them know that we appreciate them and are PRAYING for them and not afraid to do so?
I challenge all forum members on CHRISTMAS EVE,  to take a moment and Pray to God for the protection of our TROOPS AND ALSO THINK HIM FOR WHO HE IS AND WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR ALL OF US.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY, AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES AND AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

Paschale

Quoteour grandmother would tell us not to ever write 'Christmas' because we would be taking Christ out of Christmas.

I was speaking about this very topic one day with my brother, who's a seminary student, soon to become an ordained priest.  The ironic thing about this is that historically, the Church would sometimes write Christmas with the "X" in the beginning.  The X is in essence a sideways cross, and has been used in the Church throughout history to represent the cross.  So those who use "Christmas" to try to cross out the "Christ" in Christmas, are actually putting it back in, and in one little word, are representing both the birth and death/ressurection of Christ.  Pretty cool, if you ask me!  So Merry X-mas, everyone!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MULE_MAN

Thanks  Paschale for sharing that info. with us, That is a nice thing to know during Advent
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Paschale

Teddles

We are a little luckier in NZ in that we haven't gone tooooo commercial. It's still so sad to hear that kids aren't allowed to tell the Christmas story anymore, or allowed to sing carols. Where has all the fun gone?   ???

We have a rule in my house that no-one is allowed to mention Christmas until after my sister's birthday on Nov. 23. Maybe America should have a similar rule involving Thanksgiving?!  ;)

In my opinion, it is fine for people to not want to include God in the holiday - their loss. But if that's the case, don't celebrate the occasion. If someone doesn't know me, they're not going to celebrate my birthday, so if you don't know Christ, don't celebrate His! They can work through the whole week if they want. You can't have Christmas and expect there to be no Christ. That's the whole point!!  ;D

Glad to see you all sticking up for your beliefs too.

rebocardo

> Did General Washington, ORDER his troops to neal
> down and PRAY to GOD for protection

George Patton's army was bogged down because of the bad weather and lack of air support against the Germans. Patton  had his chaplin draw up a prayer, printed it, and distributed to his whole army and had them pray for the good weather before Christmas. They had a sudden break in the bad weather and the rest was history.

SwampDonkey

Similar the GF, we have decided not to go buy alot of Christmas gifts, it's just too hectic and no one knows what to get anyone. Most importantly, know one needs or wants anything. Just a good family get together and dinner is all we want.

Merry Christmas :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!