The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Home made sawmill mods.  (Read 2788 times)

Offline gww

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Home made sawmill mods.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »
Clover
Yea baby!
Cheers
gww

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 10:30:15 am »
That looks very heavy-duty Clover.  Nice work.  How'd you cut the slots in the mounting plates?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 10:48:54 am »
I first welded the plates together then laid everything out on it. Once I had my layout marks set I drilled 1/2" holes at the ends of the slot locations. Then I cut them with a zip wheel on my grinder. Woke up tasting that stuff in my mouth. The gearbox I drilled 7/16th and tapped the holes for 1/2". Going into the frame I already had two 1/2" through bolts but added three more for torsional strength. The last three I tapped into the frame.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Offline Clover

• I'm newish
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 08:47:16 pm »
Did some dialing in of my mill last couple days. Had some thick white oak slabs and 5 or 6 pin oaks to cut up. Took a bit to get the governor set right and for awhile I was worried I got the Pulley sizing wrong as the rpm's were dropping to low for my liking. Much improved cutting speed now and the head movement up and down with hydraulics is great.
Here are a couple boards I cut today.

Notice anything missing?
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools