iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 170

Started by luvmexfood, February 27, 2017, 10:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Broke the starter rope on my 170 today. I looked about repairing and it looks to me like the entire left side of the saw is going to come off. Did I overlook something?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Woodcutter_Mo

I've never installed a new rope on a ms170, but found this in a Google search. It's definatly different that other saws I've worked on simply because the side cover is larger and covers the whole side of the saw, so you are correct. This has a couple pics, hope it helps.

http://aikihomestead.blogspot.com/2013/02/re-cording-your-stihl-ms170-chainsaw.html?m=1
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

joe_indi

This is the procedure to follow (according to the shop manual)
• Remove the shroud
• Remove fuel tank and oil tank filler caps together with the cap retainers.- Drain both tanks.
• Take out the fan housing mounting screws.
• Pull the hand guard off the pin on the fan housing.
• Push the hand frame to one side until the fan housing can be eased past the corner and removed.
• Pull the fan housing away to the rear.
Install in the reverse sequence

khntr85

Lay saw on clutch side, then you won't have to empty the tanks, if I remember correctly

luvmexfood

Went to the library today so I use their wifi. Found a pretty good video on you tube for a 180. Didn't get to watch it as I was rushed for time. Did download it and saved to watch later.  Thanks for the replys.

joe_indi

Quote from: khntr85 on March 01, 2017, 05:03:51 PM
Lay saw on clutch side, then you won't have to empty the tanks, if I remember correctly
I too used to think the same until I tried the upright position, which makes the handlebar move away better for that final easing out of the starter cover, and putting it back.

luvmexfood

Quote from: joe_indi on March 01, 2017, 11:32:04 PM
Quote from: khntr85 on March 01, 2017, 05:03:51 PM
I too used to think the same until I tried the upright position, which makes the handlebar move away better for that final easing out of the starter cover, and putting it back.

Will definetly pour out gas and oil. Have a can for old oil that when gets close to full I use to burn a brush pile. It may have some diesel, oil, hydraulic fluid but i make sure not much gas. Better to drain the saw first in a can than drain it later all over me or the work bench. Guess that might be another saying for me "nah I won't spill that".

luvmexfood

Things like this always happen at the worse time or maybe to just add to a bad day. Was sawing a maple log that had hung up in a tree. Pinched my 590 so walked out and got the little stihl I had in truck. Walked back in and the starter rope broke. Went back to shop and got a spare bar and chain for the Echo. The Echo was really pulled tight into the tree and ended up somehow loosening the bar stud bolts. Had to put the nut on them to pull them back so they would extend through the chain cover.

And after all this I happened to bring a splitting maul down from the truck. Couple of good wacks on a wedge and got the saw loose. Had tried a wedge earlier but not with the bigger hammer. Oh well. Carried a spare bar in the truck for two years for the Echo and was cleaning it out one day and took it out.

Thank You Sponsors!