iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer on a trailer

Started by Dan_Shade, February 26, 2017, 08:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a lead on an old American 24" planer.

I was thinking about building a custom trailer and powering it with a small engine.

Do any of you guys have a similar setup?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

barbender

A guy I had do some custom planing for me years ago had a setup like that. A big old 4 side planer, I can't remember the make, and then he had an Isuzu diesel genset powering all the motors. It worked very well.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

I think it would be a great idea, like a portable sawmill, but a portable high capacity planer.  If you were near me, I'd be giving you some business. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

longtime lurker

I think you'd need to set it up on some decent suspension. I'm not familiar with that particular make but they're all variations of the same thing, with plenty of little set screws etc that might be inclined to be fussy about bouncing down the road. Other then that I can't see why it can't be done.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

low_48

Depends what you mean by small engine. Torque curves are dramatically different between electric and gas. You might need something like 25hp or more gas, and a good clutch.

Nomad

I like the idea.  How would you handle chip extraction?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

TKehl

I had a similar idea.  Was going to put a 20" Powermatic in a 1 ton box truck (rain protection and lockable) cut down to a trailer. 

Still on my mind, but WAY back burner at this time.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Darrel

Speaking of portability, I think the reason portable sawmills are so popular is because it is so difficult to transport logs unless you also have some pretty heavy equipment. The reason you don't see very many portable planer setups like the one you are talking about is because lumber is very easily transported, compared to logs anyway. However, if you plan to use it for planing large timbers, I still can see some advantages to taking the planer to the lumber.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

hackberry jake

I've been wanting to put together something similar for some time now. Found a 24" European planer for cheap, but it's got 4 motors. Cutterhead, feed, table raise/lower, and knife grinder. Wish it woulda been an old powermatic or Oliver, but ya gotta take em as they come.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!