iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-saw Part 2 with a bow

Started by Brad_bb, February 25, 2017, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Some may remember my resaw thread a few months ago.  Well I had another resaw scenario yesterday.  I was making trim from barnwood to go around a door.  I had done this about 6 weeks back for one side of the door, but now it was decided to do the other side so that it looked like the door was framed by timbers.

The white oak barn beam I started with had just the right patina and look.  I used a Makita wheel brush to clean and burnish it.  The beam though was bowed and crowned.  Bow didn't matter, but the crown did.  I had to follow One side of the beam had the patina I wanted.  The other side had to be cut to get a 3" width, but I could not cut it straight or it would not match the crown on the other face.  I had to cut the identical crown.  When installing, I could pull the crown out to straighten the piece.   

So I set the beam on the mill crown down, I equalized the spacing on each end, and it was 1/2" off the bed on each end.  I wedged the mill head so it would stay fixed with the band just behind a crossbar.  Then I laid the beam with the midpoint under the band and made the spacing equal on each end.  Then I measured the spacing on the bed crossbars that were the farthest out on beam on each end.  It measured 3/8", so I made 3/8" wood spacers and taped them to the cross bars.  You can see them if you look close in the video.  I knew If I set the beam on the cross bar in front of the band to start it, and rested the beam on the rear spacer, I could then feed the beam though the saw head and as it got to the other spacer, the beam should have risen to skim across the top of it.  I could then change sides and pull the beam the rest of the way keeping it in contact with the spacer and the cross bar under the band.

It worked perfectly. The trim piece came out consistently 3" wide and the trim piece was still crowned exactly the same.  The crown and bow were pulled out during installation with small head stainless trim screws that disappeared(It's hard to find them).  As far as design aesthetics, the lower horizontal piece is 3/16" lower than the side trim to give it a reveal.  Top piece is 3/4" higher than the side pieces. 

https://youtu.be/IFIt_BRP5Ho
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

I was going to say to show us the piece in place but then you did.
Looks good.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Percy

Nice!! Handy things them sawmills is......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Darrel

Good thinking. And the end result was, well, elegant!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

Well played Darrel, well played!

Thanks Jim. 

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ga Mtn Man

Where there's a mill, there's a way.  Very clever indeed!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Brad_bb

I know I need to take a better close up pic than this.

Thank You Sponsors!