iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch for turning logs

Started by Kenny.jenkins, February 25, 2017, 10:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny.jenkins

I'm still in the process of getting my woodmizer lt 15 sit up. I'm wanting to mount a winch on it to pull the logs up onto the mill and to also turn the logs. I really can't figure out where to mount it to be out of the way. If there's anyone who has mounted or knows how to mount one I would really appreciate the help. And pictures would be a help.
Kenny

Darrel

I just googled "log turner loader winch" and came up with what you may be looking for. There is even a picture of a winch mounted on a LT15.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kenny.jenkins

Kenny

Darrel

I would browse through the pictures and click the associated link of the ones that interest me.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

kelLOGg

If the L15 is a 4-poster as I believe it is then what I have done to my MP32 may help. The boom slides in and out under motor control, pivots, rolls logs onto the mill and turns them. It's slower and cheaper than hydraulics and has served me well for more than a decade.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kenny.jenkins

the winch will be on the side I walk down when pushing the blade through the log. How would I manage that?
Kenny

kelLOGg

Why must it be done that way? On my mill I would have to remove the winch every time I rotated the log. >:(

If your mill is stationary and under a roof, you might consider an overhead winch. I think you could rig it so it could roll logs onto the mill as well as turn logs/cants. It would have to be a stout roof.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

If you use a winch like kelLOGg posted it would not matter what side
that the boom was mounted on to the carriage. The only thing that
would matter is at what point you drop the cable from unless your
also loading from that side. This was my old log roller.

This is what I use today.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I have a winch mounted on a piece of square stock used for parbuckling logs.  Could also be used for rolling logs like pictured above.  It rides with the carriage most of the time.  When it's needed, it sticks into a piece of larger square tubing that accepts it, which is mounted inside the frame rails and reinforced.  It gets used, then removed for the next cut.  It just doesn't stay in one place all the time.  A 60" Logrite cant hook does 99% of my log rolling for me with not too much effort.  I'm half crippled so I feel confident most people can do what I'm doing.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

kelLOGg

Kbeitz's winch should do the job and should be easier to install than one I suggested. It could be made to allow room to pass by on both sides

WV Sawmiller

Kenny,

Sounds to me like you need to take a trip to Millville PA and see Kbeitz and buy the old log turner he retired.  :D My map shows only 852 miles. It should be worth that just to see his operation anyway. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Joe Hillmann

Woodmizer makes, or did make, a manual below the deck log turner that was run by a two speed hand winch at the tongue of the mill.  There were several ways to run the cable.  One way to load logs and one way to turn the log/cant.  I don't see it as an option on there site anymore.  It did work but it was slow and tedious to change from one setup to the other.  Maybe someone who has one can post photos of how it works.

Joe Hillmann

Slingshot

Another way to do it.....

Thank You Sponsors!