iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my new logrite cant hook today

Started by Clover, February 24, 2017, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

Well after breaking two cant hooks on one tree I decided to join the group and order a new logrite today. It seems though to be more of a can't hook than cant hook to me lol
I can't wait to try it out. I'm going tomorrow to pickup three loads of red oak I'll bring it along and dazzle the farmer who has them lol
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Fil-Dill

Turn the hook 180 deg. and see if it works better :D
EZ boardwalk 40

Clover

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

KirkD

Got mine about two weeks ago and used it Sunday for the first time. Mine did not come with the hook backwards though it must have been a Friday hook rather than a Monday hook. :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Congrats on the Logrite.  Now you are a real hooker.   logrite_cool   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

You sure won't regret buying it. I have the 60" and know darned well it's not going to break.
No bigger than I am, it takes a bunch to move things around and knowing a tool isn't going to fail is one less thing to think about.

Clover

Knowing it probably won't fail from reading on here is why I bought it. It's the 60" version. The two I broke last week were wood and you know that feeling when your just about to break it but trying to stay back from that point  >:(. I also bought a Fiberglas over steel one at our local princess auto store (similar to harbour freight) as I needed one two days ago for the mill. It's also a 60" one and I'm going to put them head to head in the coming weeks as I've got some logs 40" and plus coming

YellowHammer

Congratulations, but it's too shiney!  Got to drop it in the mud a few times, stomp on it, and scratch it up some.  Since they are pretty near indestructible, they stay new looking for a long time. 
They are a great tool, no doubt about it.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

It is kinda interesting the angle you have on that cant hook.  Now I understand the can't hook comment.  :D

Sixacresand

I really like the Logrite can't hook.  I let a log fall on it while unloading a truck and bent the handle.  But it still works.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

paul case

I have a logrite cant hook that came from sarge's and apparently it had been through the mill fire. The handle is bent on it and it still works fine. Way better than my wood handled one that the handle is broke in.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Delawhere Jack

I plan on adding a third LR to my collection soon. Have a 48" and a 60" now. Will get another 60". The 48 is always right by the hydraulic box when I'm milling. Perfect for getting a stubborn cant to roll over on the mill.

Magicman

PC, Marty has Willie's (wwsjr) bent 24" Logrite "Mill Special". 

Strangely, it was not bent when we sawed dablack's Goodwill Project.

Shown here with Willie Steele.  This leads me to believe that the fire softened the aluminum and force/usage bent them.  Since this also annealed the metal, I suspect that they would break if you attempted to straighten them.  No matter, because they have character and the story behind them of a great man and fine upstanding individual.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

If it weren't for a fire''This wouldn't have happened''. Quote from Lynn D on 2-13-16.

I still have the chunk of something melted you gave me. I don't think my cant hook is any more bent than it was when you handed it to me.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I don't remember anything that I said on 2-13-16, but I do remember that we spent the day together:  LINK

Dad2FourWI

Congrats!!! A great tool indeed!

I have two of the same 60" and I have the small one that is dedicated to staying with the mill... for helping to turn and handle those odd logs that have a mind of their own!  :D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

scully

I have 2 and I beat em like a rented mule . Does'nt seem to bother them much .
I bleed orange  .

kelLOGg

Did you get s discount on that "defective" can't hook? ;D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

I think you use that on the reverse roll quarter sawing.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sheepkeeper

The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 26, 2017, 06:23:36 AM
I think you use that on the reverse roll quarter sawing.
That's funny! :D
I've rigged all my can't hooks that way.   ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Clover

Seems everyone loves their logrites. Well I put mine to use Saturday and it was perfect. Picked up a load of red oak, nothing to big, tangled up a bit and I pulled out my cant hook and that new sharp point dug right in. Definitely nice have that extra leverage with the longer handle. I'm going to take my old cant hook and have an aluminum handle machined to fit the parts. It'll be my mill hook at 32" long.

azmtnman

Is orange a new color or is that a Canadian thing? I thought all the orange ones said "Stihl" on them.
  I have the yeller 60" (extreme duty) and join the fans of Logrite.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

My Orange Logrites came from Wood-Mizer.

Thank You Sponsors!