iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture Meter

Started by wng-2, February 24, 2017, 06:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wng-2

I suspect this topic has been covered. What is a simple effective hand held unit?
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For checking dry lumber, either a pin meter or pinless meter will work.  Spend no less than $200.  Buy one that is made in America.  Delmhost Instrument Co is in NJ, so that might convenient for you.  Both types of meters have pluses and minuses.  I guess that for the most accurate numbers, I would use a pin meter, as it allows measurement of moisture at different depths, but it is slower and takes more effort than the pinless.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

To add to what Gene said. a pinless like a Wagner covers a much larger area quickly and doesn't leave holes.

wng-2

Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

WDH

You can do what I did and just get both  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

I use the wagner meter that woodmizer sales, very good meter, but be prepared, when I got mine and started checking my wood i realized the kiln I was using was not drying my wood properly, Its a great tool to have in  your box.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

scsmith42

Merlin makes a very high quality meter, several models of which will read to the proper depth for 8 and 12/4 lumber.  They are close to $500.00 though.

Be sure to check the depth of reading specs before you buy a pinless meter.  Most on them only read 3/8" deep.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

longtime lurker

I use a Delmhorst J4: if I wanted total precision I'd oven dry a sample, for everything else it's accurate enough, and the slide hammer pins come in handy at times.
Pinless would be nice but I can usually find a place to take a reading where holes won't show, and I've had issues before with pinless meters due to the presence of treatment chemicals on the wood throwing electrical resistance out.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Check the Appendix in Drying Hardwood Lumber for comparison of moisture meters.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!