iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used 2002 WM LT40 Super

Started by jaronson, February 23, 2017, 10:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaronson

Hey Everyone!

I am new to the sawing world and am considering purchasing a used 2002 WM LT40 Super Hydraulic with a 33hp Kubota diesel. The mill has 1400 hours on it. Does anyone know what came standard on the 2002 models? Was the 33hp Kubota a factory offered engine or was this thing scabbed together? When was the Accuset 2 made a standard option? Any other good info to know or items to look for before buying a used mill?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Percy

Welcome jake.
Back in 2002 I was scoping woodmizer mills seriously for up grading from my first mill. I could be wrong on this but I only recall a 42 hp kubota diesel option available on the super hydraulic. Regardless, that particular model hasn't changed all that much since then. My 2003 lt 70 has the 42 hp kubota. Bulletproof. My mill came originally with accuset but I was offered the accuset 2 upgrade a few years later no charge. If I recall correctly, my mill warranty had expired on electronics but was supplied free. I did have to install it myself but was guided by tech support from woodmizer. It still working today. 1400 hours is barely broke in for that mill. If it's been looked after reasonably, it should be a dependable unit.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

Agree with Percy. I have a 2001 LT 40 super with 42 hp Kubota, bought new, upgraded later to Accuset2. 3400 hours so far, it's a great mill and I'll bet the one you're looking at is too. You should call Woodmizer, they can certainly answer your questions about the engine size and computer upgrade time. I would expect that the former owner has the mill registered at Woodmizer, with his name Woodmizer could probably talk to you exactly about all the modifications and parts that were ordered for it.if you've never called them yet well now's the time. You'll be getting married and it's time to learn who your in-laws are.  Not meaning to scare you. :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Get the owner's customer number and sawmill s/n and call Wood-Mizer.  And Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

MM,

I tried that when I bought sarge's mill and WM would not tell me anything about the mill. It may have been who I got to talk to but he said he could not tell me any particulars on the mill, company policy or something.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scully

There was a non-turbo Kabota on the walk ? version of the mill , which was less hoarse power . Still a fantastic engine . Mine is the turbo 42hp with remote command . If it has accuset 2 you're golden . that means it was upgraded . Welcome to the form ,and good luck if you decide to get it . I love mine !
I bleed orange  .

Dave Shepard

The standard hydraulic of that vintage had the smaller hp Kubota.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

If WM won't talk to you about that particular mill, ask them if it will be ok for the owner to call in and give permission.  Be patient, everyone just wants to see everyone else sawing.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

OK, I had already bought mine when I called, but that was 15 years ago.  As tt said above, there should be a way especially if the present owner wants to sell.

PC, did they later require some verification that you had actually bought the sawmill?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
  33 hp Kubota would not be a Super Hydraulic LT40. A 2002 LT40 Super would have the 42 hp Turbo Kubota. I had a post last month of a 42 hp engine that had a governor issue. I now have a 33 hp Kubota that was not started for 5 years. I had to remove the injection pump and have it serviced at the diesel pump shop. The pump was rusted internally and the fuel rack would not open.

Accuset 2 was standard equipment in 2005 and many mills with Accuset were up graded to Accuset 2.  If we ( WM ) know the serial number of the mill or customer #  we can look up the history. It is a good practice not to give out customer information and I sometimes call the owner and ask them to call the person interested in information about their equipment.

These Kubota engines are real good and pretty easy to work on. Not sure from what you are saying if it is a Super mill with a 33 hp non turbo then it may have been changed at some point.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on February 24, 2017, 08:59:07 PM

PC, did they later require some verification that you had actually bought the sawmill?

Yup.
I could tell you what it was but I would be forced to eliminate you.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

jaronson

Thanks for all of the input! One of my other concerns was that it wasn't actually a super... It seems like all of the other supers that I have seen actually say "Super Hydraulic" on them. I have not yet seen the mill in person but, I asked the guy if he was sure it was a super and he said yes. What is the easiest way to identify that it is indeed a super?

terrifictimbersllc

If this is easy...two hydraulic motors in the pump box.

paul case

2 hydraulic pumps in the box. I think it will have s or super on the model tag on the saw head.

PC
pc

scully

It could have had the x-tra pump added . I have seen that happen .
I bleed orange  .

terrifictimbersllc

my model # is LT40HDD42-RA. I always thought the HD meant super, but I'm not sure.

Magicman

My understanding is that HD means hydraulic.  The Super has ¾ hp up/down and power feed motors.

Remle

Quote from: jaronson on February 24, 2017, 11:40:57 PM
Thanks for all of the input! One of my other concerns was that it wasn't actually a super... It seems like all of the other supers that I have seen actually say "Super Hydraulic" on them. I have not yet seen the mill in person but, I asked the guy if he was sure it was a super and he said yes. What is the easiest way to identify that it is indeed a super?
Ask the owner for the serial # of the mill. The 5th character (#) from the left end of the serial # is the product code and will tell you what the saw mill was as it left the factory. My mill is a # 5 or a LT40HD (not a super). You may want to call and check with a Wood-mizer dealer , I think it is a #6 but not totally sure.

thechknhwk

All good comments posted above, mine has 3800hrs on the clock and still going strong.  Its a 33hp non-super.

Magicman

My sawmill is a SuperHydraulic and the 5th character in my s/n is a 6.

4x4American

Quote from: MartyParsons on February 24, 2017, 09:27:13 PM
Hello,
  33 hp Kubota would not be a Super Hydraulic LT40. A 2002 LT40 Super would have the 42 hp Turbo Kubota. I had a post last month of a 42 hp engine that had a governor issue. I now have a 33 hp Kubota that was not started for 5 years. I had to remove the injection pump and have it serviced at the diesel pump shop. The pump was rusted internally and the fuel rack would not open.

Accuset 2 was standard equipment in 2005 and many mills with Accuset were up graded to Accuset 2.  If we ( WM ) know the serial number of the mill or customer #  we can look up the history. It is a good practice not to give out customer information and I sometimes call the owner and ask them to call the person interested in information about their equipment.

These Kubota engines are real good and pretty easy to work on. Not sure from what you are saying if it is a Super mill with a 33 hp non turbo then it may have been changed at some point.

Marty

Why is it that nowadays they are sending out supers with 36 hp yanmars?  It's a good engina and all but my snowblower has more hp lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

pineywoods

Neighbor has an older LT40 super with the turbo kubota with lots of hours. Only problem has been the bracket for the little kubota alternator keeps breaking. I made him a replacement out of 3/8 steel plate.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!