iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Few ID Questions

Started by WoodenWolf, February 23, 2017, 08:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenWolf

Hey all, this is my first post to the Forestry Forum but I have been lurking and reading for a while now. Thank you to everyone who provides information and entertainment.  :laugh:

My wife and I have purchased 10 acres of forested land in Hillsborough, NC and I have some questions I think you might be able to help with.

1) This hardwood stands out on our walks because of it's very dark bark. Looks almost black from a distance. Branching and bark look different than anything else around the site and it happens to be next to a very old hand-dug well which is likely near an old abandoned home site. Perhaps a homeowner planted it long ago? My guess would be some kind of oak.

2) I'm thinking this is Celtis occidentalis but would like a second opinion

3) I've seen a sprinkling of this deciduous woody shrub around the property. It is currently leafing out. Is alternate and has very unique pores on the back sides of the leaf.

4) The next pictures are a couple specimen of Liriodendron. One single trunk and one double trunked. I'm curious if anyone has enough experience with these to be able to wager an age on them? I've laid down my 5' tall walking stick at the base of each to provide reference.

Thanks!
A capable and engaged populace makes for a great country.

coxy

the last pics look like ash  I like the bark on the tree in the 4th pic

WDH

The first few pics are black walnut.  Then, the second set of pic, hackberry/sugarberry, is correct.  The pic with leaves looks like yaupon. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WoodenWolf

coxy - That bark is something else, isn't it? Definitely stands out!

WDH - Thanks for the ID. That's great news!  ;D

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, that looks like a fun place to hang out for sure!

WoodenWolf

sandhills - frankly, it's hard to convince myself to head back in to Raleigh after camping out in the woods for a couple of nights.

Thank You Sponsors!