iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framing Project In East Tennessee

Started by Jjoness4, February 23, 2017, 01:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

I spend most of my forum time on sawmilling side and know very little about timber framing.  I was approached a couple of weeks ago by an architect friend of mine who has the contract to renovate and construct structures for a church camp atop Bays Mountain near Kingsport Tennessee.  He knew that I had a sawmill and was wondering if I could saw some timbers to cut down on the  materials cost for the project.     The history on this camp which is a part of the Holston Conference of the United Methodist Church was that the predecessor camp (Buffalo Mountain Camp) was destroyed in a flood in August 2012.  The new Bays Mountain camp project is well under way.  My question for the forum is would there be volunteers close enough to Kingsport willing  to help with a craft building and shed using timber frame methods with the benefits to them being that they could learn some timber framing techniques and also provide a community service in the process.  There would be detailed structural drawings for the structures available.  The schedule for the project is 3 months.  All timbers ( posts, beams, rafters would be available on site by the end of March. Construction equipment would also be available if necessary.  Replys are welcome but feel free to PM me if you have specific questions on this opportunity.  I attach a rough sketch showing the concept.  The gable structure would be fully enclosed with rough sawed board and batten siding. 
Butch Jones

2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

jrose1970

Good luck with your project! I'm building a couple of lean tos onto a barn and renovating another one. It would be great to learn a thing or two from professionals. LOL  I live about three or four hours away in Spring City. I've always liked the concept of an old fashioned barn raising. I checked my schedule (asked my wife  :D) and I just may be able come and learn, I mean help you. :D
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

D L Bahler

I'm almost tempted, that's one of my favorite parts of the whole country.

Two of my heroes are from just a little bit north across the state line, Ralph and Carter. I was raised on the music and the culture from those mountains

jrose1970

Ralph and Carter! 'nuff said. Me too! I have Ralph's autograph.

Jjoness4

Quote from: jrose1970 on March 02, 2017, 08:58:30 PM
Good luck with your project! I'm building a couple of lean tos onto a barn and renovating another one. It would be great to learn a thing or two from professionals. LOL  I live about three or four hours away in Spring City. I've always liked the concept of an old fashioned barn raising. I checked my schedule (asked my wife  :D) and I just may be able come and learn, I mean help you. :D
The professionals have not materialized.  I certainly am not one when it comes to TF.  I am just starting to saw up about 35 SYP logs in to 10 and 16 feet posts and beams for this project and I am just getting used to a new saw.  Jason, as I said in the PM I will keep you up to speed as to where this thing is going.  The same for you D L. 

Quote from: D L Bahler on March 02, 2017, 09:21:06 PM
I'm almost tempted, that's one of my favorite parts of the whole country.

Two of my heroes are from just a little bit north across the state line, Ralph and Carter. I was raised on the music and the culture from those mountains
I presume you must be talking about Ralph Stanley and June Carter Cash and all her sisters over at the Carter Fold in Hiltons VA ;D

Thank you guys for responding to this.  When I get materials sawed I will put out another update to let you know when things might start happening.  We may just have to build it by conventional methods and not do the full TF approach if the artisans are not available.

D L Bahler

Ralph and Carter, as in Ralph and Carter Stanley, the original Stanley Brothers. But Carter was named after the Carter family.
From Coeburn or Norton Virginia, depending on what mood Ralph was in when you asked him  :D

They had a fellow named Ralph Mayo do a couple stints with their band, on Fiddle and Guitar and I think maybe Bass too. He sometimes claimed to be from Kingsport, though he also claimed to be from Rome Georgia (got lots of friends from Rome Georgia myself)

Hope your project works out well for you! Keep us updated, and I'm sure the fine folks here would be more than happy to help you out with any questions.

Get together a Hog roast and they'd probably come down and build your building for you  ;D

jrose1970

I'm fair to middlin' on the conventional barn building method. I'm trying my grandfather's "lodge pole pine" rafters on my sawmill shed. We are from Georgia (Cartersville, not too far from Rome.  :)) and did not have actual lodge pole pines, but that's what he called them. He built it in 1945 and it's still going strong.
My rafters are long straight Tennessee poplars about 4-6 inches in diameter and 18 feet long. It will be lean to style with the apex on the open side like a shed.

123maxbars

This looks like a great project. I hope I can help!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Robert Owens

I live in Riceville, TN and our church is part of the Holston conference. I would be interested in coming up to help. Our daughter worked with the conference for a few years while getting her BS and MS degrees and knows about the camp. She was telling me how beautiful that area is so just let me know when things are ready. I will be finished with school by end of May, but have some weekends I could help out.

Jjoness4

Quote from: Robert Owens on March 11, 2017, 08:09:06 PM
I live in Riceville, TN and our church is part of the Holston conference. I would be interested in coming up to help. Our daughter worked with the conference for a few years while getting her BS and MS degrees and knows about the camp. She was telling me how beautiful that area is so just let me know when things are ready. I will be finished with school by end of May, but have some weekends I could help out.
Quote from: 123maxbars on March 11, 2017, 09:17:34 AM
This looks like a great project. I hope I can help!
Quote from: jrose1970 on March 04, 2017, 11:53:16 PM
I'm fair to middlin' on the conventional barn building method. I'm trying my grandfather's "lodge pole pine" rafters on my sawmill shed. We are from Georgia (Cartersville, not too far from Rome.  :)) and did not have actual lodge pole pines, but that's what he called them. He built it in 1945 and it's still going strong.
My rafters are long straight Tennessee poplars about 4-6 inches in diameter and 18 feet long. It will be lean to style with the apex on the open side like a shed.

This project is on a temporary hold but it is going to happen.  Thanks for your responses and offers for help.  I will keep you all in the loop.  We have structural engineer's approval for beam and post size and we will be getting a building permit from the city in the next couple of weeks.  I will be back sawing the posts next week.  The quality of logs is only fair so may have to go to an alternate source.  Again thanks to all for your interest.
Butch Jones

jrose1970

Thank You Sponsors!