iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664... any good?

Started by timberlinetree, February 28, 2012, 07:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

I recently sold my TreeFarmer C5 skidder that I owned for 15 years. She was really tired and it was time. I am in the process of searching for something else and came across a Clark 664 with a clark winch and a 353. Wondering if anyone has had experience with one and what your opinion is on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

rockwall

Any good? Just the best little machine you can buy. I have a 1977 664B and I have been very impressed with it. The winch is incredibly powerful, the transmission is supposed to be one of the best and you can yard a lot of wood with it. There are only two drawbacks in my opinion- you have quite a climb to get on and off and my 353 is really loud. You can get parts for them too. I would buy another one in a minute.

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

graves logging

I love mine. Easy to get around the woods. Droping a fresh engine in mine this weekend

rockwall

What are you putting in for a motor? Did you rebuild it or find another one?

graves logging

I picked up a rebuilt. 353 motor. Mine blew up. 

oldseabee

I can help with technical stuff on the Clarks.

timberlinetree

Thanks for the input. We are heading out to take a look at it this Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed! Can't wait to get back out on the job!

Deere1981

Hey how that Clark look?  Never been around 664's too much but been around the 662's a bunch.  Tough little beast and nice sound too.

timberlinetree

Definitely looks like a well built machine. Drove 4 hours to look at one that was supposed to be tight, but front cradle pins were shot and had lots of stress cracks. That one was not the one for us, but still looking in the New England area. I do think this is the skidder I want, just a matter of finding the right one!

rockwall

There was one in Wilton,Maine on Maine Craigslist. It was posted a week or so ago. The pics looked real good.

nhlogga

Quote from: timberlinetree on March 18, 2012, 08:15:01 AM
Definitely looks like a well built machine. Drove 4 hours to look at one that was supposed to be tight, but front cradle pins were shot and had lots of stress cracks. That one was not the one for us, but still looking in the New England area. I do think this is the skidder I want, just a matter of finding the right one!

Clark skidders in need of cradle pins are very common. The dealer in VT has them in stock.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

BigDogTreekillr

Very clean looking 664 on Craigslist in Hillsboro NH. If it wasn't so far away for me I would be on my way there now... first post BTW love this forum!
Mopar Go Far! Whoopaaa

coxy

does your guys clarks have the clark/Lufkin winches on them

treeslayer2003

Quote from: coxy on February 27, 2017, 06:38:46 AM
does your guys clarks have the clark/Lufkin winches on them
mine do

longtime lurker

I got one with the Clark, one with the Gearmatic 119.
The 119 is good: finicky to set but not much drama unlike those #%%-&$@@ 19's.
But a Clark winch? A Clark winch is a thing of beauty!!!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

coxy

where do the lines hook to the tranny on a clark the newer cats come off the back of the tranny but mine is a 81 and don't have the extra port hole in the tranny would like to put the clark/Lufkin on mine  if I could figure out where to tap the lines in to

treeslayer2003

so your putting it on a cat? i wouldn't know, but i would say any where you can get regulated pressure of about 250psi. and of course a drain back port. other wise the other lines go to the control.

lshobie

My clark 664c is a beast, has run every weekday since november 8-9 hours a day in the worst weather, and im pretty sure it has done that since it was made.  No real issues other than the odd line and some worn parts here and there but it was running hard as usual today.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

stoneeaglefarm

anyone looking at the clark in Hillsboro Nh send me a personal message and I,ll get back to ya.

Thank You Sponsors!