iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help with saw selection

Started by deadred, December 07, 2004, 07:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadred

I have several large red oaks on my property that must come down. I have one down right now, which is 30 to 34" in diameter. The rest are 30" to 45" in diameter and I would like to section the trunks for firewood. What saw would best suit that purpose? I am leaning towards the Stihl 460 Magnum with a 28" bar and chain. Opinions and advice would be much appreciated.

Bushwhacker

The 460 would probably do it. Of course an 660 would do it easier. I have a 460 with a dual port muffler cover and it cuts plenty good. I've never cut Red Oak but I cut Mesquite and it's a mighty hard wood. No problems with the 460 yet.
KLH

logosoluser

As long as you have a Stihl you will be fine. But I would consider selling the red oak for lumber and using the tops for firewood. It would be a shame shame to cut logs like that for firewood. Top them for firewood and sell the logs and everyone will be happier I believe.

PowerNewbie

Like logosoluser said, you can sell the trunks for lumber. Maybe the buyer will even cut them for you, saving the cost of buying the saw.

OTOH, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a bigger saw, don't let me stop you  :)

Garry

A Stihl 460 Magnum will be lots, or a Husky 372xp as second choice.
   Garry

rahtreelimbs

QuoteAs long as you have a Stihl you will be fine.
[/SIZE]

Get real. As if owning any other make of saw matters.

Tell this to any Dolmar 7900 owner............SHEEEEEEEEEZE!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

lucky_cutter

Deadred did ask for opinions.
 Stihl and Husqvarna are far easier to aquire than Domar in my neck of the woods. Domar would also be a viable option. The Stihl 460 would be a good choice. A  comparatively sized Husky or Dolmar would be equally good as well. There is no need to get a bigger saw unless you are in a hurry. My 272 Husky has turned many a similer sized black oak into fire wood with ease. Splitting them was another story!
Those are good sized trees. Do you have any experience on falling?

Stephen_Wiley

Yes, he certainly did "ask for opinions". Unfortunately, some with ported 'hot' saws can't help but get there two cents worth in.

The fact remains: not enough Dolmar dealers and 7900's are not readily available.

Keep in mind that purchasing a saw will be only beneficial by the availbility of parts and repair. I once bought a 'Tanaka'. The saw's performance rivaled Echo, Stihl, etc.  But once it broke down, parts were two months from being delivered.

Dolmar has had the same 'lack of serviceability' depending upon where you live.

Stihl, Husky and Echo tend to be more readily available.

Depending upon your falling skills..........I might suggest to get a saw (which you can handle) with a bar big enough to only make one cut.  Unless you feel confident using a smaller bar to make several cuts with material bigger than the bar.

The 046 can handle a 32" - 36" bar just fine.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!