iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting Issue On A 300 Ford Six Cylinder

Started by Autocar, February 22, 2017, 02:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

My little skidder has set for years and a fellow here on the forum showed some interest in it so I figured I would get it running. Celenoide would just click. Pulled the started and made sure the engine wasn't stuck then checked the starter all worked fine. Changed the celinoide still only a click so I cleaned all battery cables still only a click. Had to walk away before I blew a fuse. Started again this morning worked a number of hours still only click. I took a jumper wire and jumped around the celinoide nothing it's like the battery is dead. Changed to another battery still only a click walked away again. Anyone have any ideas ? Pulled the tri axle out and worked on a tail light that wasn't working, a little after noon I got that repaired Wish it would dry up so I could go back to work  :D.
Bill

Kbeitz

Next time use your jumper wire for a ground from battery neg. to starter case.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sprucebunny

I recently had a very similar problem with a 300-6. I replaced the battery cables and all is good. The old ones had discolored wire and crummy insulation. I soldered new ends on some used battery wire. Did you check the main ground ?

When going thru my collection of solenoids, I found that some made a bigger 'click' and used one of them. Even a new one seemed weak.

Also maybe load test the battery.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Autocar

tomarrow I will run a ground wire from the battery to the mounting bolt on the starter and see what happens thanks for the ideas.
Bill

Jeff

Same issue with my tractor. The copper ground wire had corrosion within the strands. Cleaning the outside did no good. I replaced it, and then it would crank.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Autocar

8)  8)  8)  8) Ran the wire from the ground on the battery to the starter put a little gas in the carbarator and it took right off . Thanks everyone this site sure can help a fellow out.
Bill

Ox

I remember a similar problem with a Ford straight 6 years ago.  I ended up having to sand/polish the starter and bellhousing mating surfaces so they mostly shined, then coated with dielectric grease.  Those engines seem to need really good grounds right there in order to work.  The old timers always said that Fords need good grounds, maybe this is what they meant?

Then again, there were others that were abused and neglected horribly and worked and ran perfectly every time...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!