iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

56 or 57

Started by RazrRebel, February 22, 2017, 07:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazrRebel

Hey guys, going to place an order for some of the parts to start my build. I've got my list together for most everything I need. I am going to order my pillowblock bearings, band pulleys, drive pulley, and belts from Surplus Center. Should I get the B56 or B57 belts? What do most of you guys that have built yours use? I'm going to order metal this week for the head also.

DMcCoy

I had too much trouble trying to put on the B56 and gave up.  I use the B57's with no issues at all.  All my parts came from surplus center.

Magicman

I have been using B57's for over 14 years and well over a million bf of lumber sawn.  I see no reason to change.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RazrRebel

Thanks guys, I've been reading a lot on here, and it seemed the general consensus was the 57's. Just wanted to make sure. I usually read more than I post. I'm up to the first 84 pages on the saw milling forum.

Ga Mtn Man

With all due respect to my elders, I tried the B57's for two months and saw plenty of reasons to switch back to the B56's. ;D 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

The 57's have better lines....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DMcCoy

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 22, 2017, 09:52:13 AM
With all due respect to my elders, I tried the B57's for two months and saw plenty of reasons to switch back to the B56's. ;D

How did you do that?  I tried to the point I figured I would break the pulley and quit.

Rougespear

My experience: use b56's!.  I started up (several years ago as I was building my saw) with b56's... and holly camolly were they ever hard to get on!  I did it, but I said "never again".  Last season, one shredded itself after 20mbf, so I quickly threw a b57 on there.  Now I know all belts are not equal, but this one barely lasted a month on the saw.  So just last week (during my winter-time sawmill maintenance) I replaced both belts to b56's.  To my surprise, they both went on very easily... same belt, same sheave, just way easier.  Like a pleasure to install.  They are still tight enough to keep out the sawdust, but not a fight to replace anymore. 

So to conclude, I would use b56s... I have listened to enough talks by Cooks Saw about reducing vibrations at the wheels, and I see a loose b57 as just extra vibration.  That being said, of course others have used them and managed just fine!  Ultimately, they both get the job done.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Magicman

I was not trying to change anyone's mind or to be argumentative, just stating what works for me.

I only use the B57's that come from Wood-Mizer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Same here, but I can't compare with B 56 never tried them. I like being able to swap and flip the belts regularly to equalize their wear,  and easily re-order them with other parts from Woodmizer. If my mill destroyed a belt in a month it would be because a blade broke inside and cut it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

I haven't had any problems with Wood Mizer B57 belts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

paul case

The ez boardwalk mill I had used b56. I changed them at 400+ hours. The wm mills I have recomend b57 so that is what I use. However I began having trouble with some sawdust clumps building up under the belt on the drive side. So we put a b56 on. Solved the problem so far.

Lots of videos out there about changing b56 belts. The best thing I found is to not get flusterated, use spray lube vice grips and blunt flat screwdrivers. Change them right on the machine.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

I have tried them all and I went back to the 57.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Be aware some belt profiles have changed over the years. You want to be sure the band and especially the set teeth are not running on the steel/iron rim of the sheave. Some belts now are skimpy and don't extend above the sheave. Tightie loosie both work, I like tight as the belts are less prone to damage when the bands come off. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I am assuming that you meant break, and yes, I have experienced a belt being cut by a broken blade, but very few. 

I have never had a blade to actually come off while sawing.

redprospector

I've found that when installing b56 belts, you have to hold your mouth right or frustration will set in.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

petefrom bearswamp

Tried all like Peter, b56, b57, twolf etc,
Back to b57 till i quit.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

larrydown60

I built my saw mill with the 18.75 pulleys and belts from surplus center. I used 60” B V-Belt Type B57 or 5L600 - 13-B47 but I have not sawed anything yet 6.05from surplus center versas  25.00 at napa same belt b57

Dave Shepard

The proper WM belts, which I believe are only available from WM, are not overly expensive.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!