iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking About Adding CNC to a old wood lathe.

Started by 21incher, February 21, 2017, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I am trying to figure out how to convert my wood lathe to be able to duplicate parts and decided I would try and add a CNC assembly to it. I figured this would give me a chance to learn how to use a Arduino to control it without spending a lot. It is amazing how much info is available on line so I spent the last couple of days getting started. I just made a video showing how easy it is to get started using a Arduino for control.
https://youtu.be/ebbizXvjfN0
It will take me some time to get everything together to finish it, but I am amazed how easy and cheep it is to get started with the Arduino for automation. Still trying to decide if I will try and use a cutter or trim router to do the cutting. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Den-Den

I will be watching this thread, mostly to see how you handle the mechanics of the motion.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Darrel

I will be watching this thread so I can learn something and not have to do all the research.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ljohnsaw

So only 2 axis on the spinning lathe?

How well do you think this would work for a CNC router table setup like the one you have?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Darrel

It will really get interesting when you start doing hollow forms.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

21incher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 21, 2017, 11:17:10 PM
So only 2 axis on the spinning lathe?

How well do you think this would work for a CNC router table setup like the one you have?
Yes to start out. I just plan on adding a x and y for profile turnings. Fusion 360 can create the cam for it very easily. This project is just to learn about the Arduino because in the future I want to build a portable CNC router sled for my mill rails to surface slabs that is controlled by my cell phone . GRBL is set up for 3 axis control and many people use it for CNC routing. You just have to watch which USB chip is on the Arduino for GRBL use. The real low cost boards have communications issues.  :)

Quote from: Darrel on February 22, 2017, 12:09:53 AM
It will really get interesting when you start doing hollow forms.
I don't plan on that. This will just be used to make legs and spindles.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Wow does this bring back memories. Way back when the Commodore 64
computer came out I got into this. I started building my machine in 1987
Using the Digital I/O interface board SS100. I made a relay box to handle
a larger load. I put my 3 axis unit on a Grizzly mill drill. Last picture is
one of the things I made with it.I don't use it much anymore. It sure was
fun to build and use.  I will be watching you'r progress. Wishing you was
in my backyard.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Kbeitz, I still have my Commodore 64 with all the accessories, game cartridges, cassette tapes, plus the 300 baud modem. I just pulled it all out and going to put it on craigslist to see If it has any value. That little mill would be easy to convert to Arduino control and be real easy to use with g code to give you a cnc setup. I think you can even get low backlash ball screws for it on eBay. These little controllers could easily replace all the big old counters that you use for projects and are all programmable in C. The best part is they are only a couple of dollars so it is not a big hit if you fry one.  :)

Kbeitz

Put that Commodore 64 on E-bay. Completed auctions shows one that
just sold for $800.00... Other at around $400.00

I will look into that Arduino control.
Thanks.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Got the control box finished up today. Starting to scrounge some mechanical parts to modify the lathe.
https://youtu.be/ymwb1ys_JIg
Hoping to use the same box in the future with 7 amp drives if this works out to make a garage door chain driven cnc router sled for my mill trailer. It would be nice to be able to route 2 ft x 12 ft signs and flatten slabs. :)

Thank You Sponsors!