i need some help with maple tree tapping

Started by Aidan Elerick, February 21, 2017, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aidan Elerick

recently I have found out that an acre of my land is mid-sized maple trees I have been interested in tapping them so I have bought taps and have buckets and barrels for storage but I'm lost on when is a good time to start collecting the sap of the trees and what are some good ways to process this stuff down only using dry wood?
hi there i'm a person that knows a thing or to do you have any questions?

thecfarm

This is an older thread on small scale saping.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73175.0.html
You can click onto my gallery and see the pictures that I have posted about sap. We have a good time doing it.
We boil it outside and than bring it inside to finish it off. We bring it up to about 212-214 than she brings it inside on the kitchen stove and brings it up to about 218°. Sap will not boil like water. After you do a batch or two,you will know what to do. Our batch is not more than a quart at a time. I try to keep a container on the back of the stove that is hot but not boiling. I pour that into the one that I am boiling from.
You need above freezing temps during the day,freezing at night for the best run. but it runs when it wants too. We are having a warm week in Maine,it might run this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Aidan Elerick

I actually ended up throwing my taps in over the weekend when its been hitting 60s and 50s for me and my soda bottle fill up in just 24 hours its great only thing holding me back in collection is bugs and some random kids that dumped my collectors ooh if I get my hands on them >:( but it doesn't really matter to much thanks for the thread :P :D
hi there i'm a person that knows a thing or to do you have any questions?

Chuck White

Sap will become syrup when the temperature reaches 7°F higher than the boiling point of water!

The boiling point changes a lot over time, sometimes even within a couple of hours!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

It'll seem like it takes forever to get the last few degrees on the thermometer to get syrup.  But when it happens it's like an explosion of foamy bubbles almost and you better be there ready to pour or it'll burn or boil over.  I used to keep an eyedropper of pure vegetable oil to keep the foaming down.  Couple drops works wonders.  Strained/filtered the hot syrup through a pair of clean denim folded over several times and filtered all the sugar sand out that way.  Made fantastic tasting syrup.  Be careful boiling it all in your house, humidity levels are wicked that way.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

breederman

Funny you should say that Ox , It made me remember the time we steamed all the wall paper off the kitchen walls finishing syrup on the stove . :)
Together we got this !

Ox

:D  Wait....no, that's not funny.  At all!  :-\
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

thecfarm

How long was you finishing?  :D
Like I said,we are only doing a quart at a time,maybe every day,but it only takes about 5 10 minutes. We get it just about done outside,then bring it in on the gas stove. Don't take long,sometimes get it back up to 212° and it goes up to 218-19-20 quick. It cools off by the time we get it into the house and then we put it into a cold pan too.
I am thinking about getting one of those infrared temp gauge. The one with the red beam of light. Than we could really get it up to temp outside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

I was just a kid. It seems like we were doing quite a bit.  I do remember mom wasn't impressed. It was ugly paper.  ;)
Together we got this !

Cleft

keep your sap as cold as possible and or boil or freeze it.    How many taps have you put out, and how do you plan to boil it?  A coarse strainer metal or cloth takes out the bugs, or leave them in for more 'robust' flavor.   What size (diameter) spouts are you using and can you describe your tapping method depth, location, anything more? 

TreesLogan

Quote from: thecfarm on February 21, 2017, 08:26:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that is a very useful thread I just gained access to some maples I am going to give this a shot can it be tapped after we are past the freezing temperatures?
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

GAB

Quote from: TreesLogan on May 03, 2017, 10:45:02 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on February 21, 2017, 08:26:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that is a very useful thread I just gained access to some maples I am going to give this a shot can it be tapped after we are past the freezing temperatures?

Since I am not familiar with your area I hope this makes sense to you;
Once the trees start budding it is too late to tap for that season.
Small Sugarmakers watch the weather closely and try and tap to get the first sap run with the freshest tap holes posible.
The longer the taps have been in the less productive they are as the trees try to heal.
If you are going to tap using tubing the tubing can be installed most anytime. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.