Blades that strike metal, resharpened

Started by fishfighter, February 21, 2017, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

I have a few blades from when I started sawing that I tried to saw thru the back stops. :D Anyway, I had saved them. The blades only had three or four rounded teeth.

So today, I was sharpening a couple blades and said to myself, could I reused those back stop blades again. Now those blades were 10 degree blades and I have things set up to 7 degree sharpening. That is what works best for my mill all around.

After passing one thru, this is what it looks like. One can pick out the two teeth that are shorter.

I took off very little metal changing out the angle and gullet.

Question is, will the blade work or did I waste my time? Anybody ever resharpen a metal strike blade?

drobertson

Yes, more often than not a reset will be required for a decent finish,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishfighter

That is what I was thinking. That blade has a bunch of rust, so I will saw with it just enough to remove the rust the reset the teeth. ;D That way I know I have the teeth set right.

Magicman

It will leave a pattern when you saw.  :-\

I suspect that some teeth adjacent to those two also had some damage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

MM, you getting all this rain too? Got pounded last night, again now and more to come later. :(

terrifictimbersllc

Sometimes you can sometimes you can't.

Suggestion.if you're going to try recover such blades,put a tag on  each one with written notes, About what you did and how long it took, and then actually evaluate that blade  by sawing with it. With this knowledge,then you can decide easily whether it's worth it for you.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

When you have some teeth significantly shorter than the rest, there's pretty good odds that those teeth will leave marks on the lumber or the cant!

I think you'd up the odds of using that blade properly if you set the short teeth straight up, like a raker, then when all of the teeth become even, with successive sharpenings, you could once again successfully set, sharpen and use that blade!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

I would use those blades as a learning tool. I would keep sharping
them until I had them working like new again... But that's just me.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Its said three or more teeth in a row that are short, junk the band. I would sharpen and set the bands and use them when you suspect a log may have metal or your not fussy. " A band is a terrible thing to waste" Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

I resharpen most blades that have struck hardware and like Chuck does I set the teeth that are missing [size=78%]with zero set.  I've had some metal strike blades that cut great.  Often times when you hit a nail and it only leaves a bur on the tip of the teeth, them ones can be salvaged just fine.  Just have to be careful not to overheat when grinding the burr off.  I've never heard the rule of three but[/size]
[/size][size=78%]makes sense.  One or two missing is no big deal.[/size]
Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

I give them two chances -- sharpen, set, try. If the blade doesn't cut straight, then repeat once. After that they are trash.

I have about a 50% success rate now that I sharpen and set my own. No luck at all when I was sending them out to get sharpened.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

fishfighter

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of taking out all angle of the short teeth. ;D So I will just saw enough to knock off the rust and then reset all the teeth. Got a couple more blades like this and I sure don't want to waste them if there is a chance I can fix them. ;D

I will report back. ;D

Ox

Set the bad teeth straight, sharpen normally, oil, and hang up on a nail until you get questionable logs.  These blades are good for using on logs that you're not sure about with hardware and stuff in them.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Tell me the reason for removing the set from the short teeth.  :P Just curious.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Not having set these to zero myself but guessing where the others are coming from, I'd say that the short teeth have been mangled in someway or another and wouldn't set right in the setter for sure ,  let alone get sharpened and be set correctly afterwards.  One aspect of being mangled would be that the outsides of these teeth might be severely rounded over. This is the portion of the tooth that needs to be ground down until squareness reappears, and this is unlikely to happen in the moderate grinding of the rest of the teeth.  Bending these to a  zero set is a quick way of  dealing with them in the reconditioning effort.

Ox

x2 - easier to just set em straight and forget em.  Chances are they're mangled and are shorter, therefore not really a tooth anymore anyways.  Every measurement will be off with these types of teeth.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bandmiller2

Be sure to mark the offending teeth with chalk. Sometimes the pusher on the grinder will not get a good grip and the wheel will come down out of time. Just be ready when the shorties come around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 22, 2017, 08:15:52 PM
Be sure to mark the offending teeth with chalk. Sometimes the pusher on the grinder will not get a good grip and the wheel will come down out of time. Just be ready when the shorties come around. Frank C.

Yep!

Pretty much everyone else covered it. 
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 22, 2017, 08:15:52 PM

I am using a manual home made sharpener. Takes me about 15 minutes to sharpen a blade.

I did change out the stone to a 1"X8". Dang stone cost me more then what I paid for  the saw. :D

My setter is a pineywoods home made setter. ;D

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on February 22, 2017, 12:56:12 PM
Tell me the reason for removing the set from the short teeth.  :P Just curious.   ???

Lynn, the points on the short teeth will contact the wood at a different point than the undamaged ones will, therefore only being 2 or 3 teeth, there will be marks left on the wood where only the damaged teeth contact it!

At least this is what I've found!

Good point, Bandmiller2 I've had that happen too, you really have to watch and be ready to deal with it if it happens!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yes, there will be ridges where the damaged teeth pass no matter what you do.  Anything that you can do to kinda smooth it out would be helpful. 

Of course this is all a moot point with me because the customer has paid me $25 for the nail damaged blade.  I junk it, put a fresh one on and never look back.   ;D

barbender

You high roller, Magic!  ;D The rest of us scavengers would love going through your junk blade pile ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I quit sending nail strike blades back to ReSharp because a very high percentage will be rejected anyway.  No need to pay that shipping.