iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric/battery chainsaw

Started by Awesomesince72, February 19, 2017, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awesomesince72

So how many of you would buy/use an electric chainsaw? Of course it would have to perform as well as a gas saw. Weigh less.
I do a lot of clearing on some jobs so I get lotsite of free firewood. As I'm out bucking the the logs I have to wear ear plugs with the gas saw and it takes away from some of the enjoyment of being outside on a beautiful day. This is the same reason I still split wood with an axe though I have a splitter.
So got my thinking why not build a high hp Electric saw. Advances in electric motors have 5hp motors weighing in at 2 lbs.
Maybe eventually maybe even getting it going on battery power.
My goal would be a 7-10hp saw at 10lbs. That's with a cord of course.
What do you think?

Ianab

I'd be concerned about that much power in such a light weight hand held tool. Potential for kickback would be scary.  :o  And safety chaps are less effective against an electric saw.

I can see the point of electric chainsaws around a workshop, construction site, sawmill etc, and a battery one would have it's uses for a bit of gardening or other light uses.

But a big Godzilla electric saw? Pass.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sprucebunny

I would love a battery powered chainsaw about the equivilant of a MS 192.
I'm very willing to sacrifice power for quiet and easy on and off.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dave Shepard

I've used corded saws in the time frame shop often. They are great for docking big chunks off before making a finish cut. I think we are not far away from seeing commercial grade battery saws as battery and motor technology gets better. I don't think it would be a diy project to make one that will be comparable to gas saw, however.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 19, 2017, 04:50:45 PM
I would love a battery powered chainsaw about the equivilant of a MS 192.
I'm very willing to sacrifice power for quiet and easy on and off.

Something like a Stihl MSA 200C-BQ or the Husky 536Li XP ?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Kbeitz

I got a couple of large electric chainsaws. I don't know the HP's
but I can't stall them out. They are not light but they do a great job.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Awesomesince72

With the ttorque of electric motors I would think it's just a matter of getting the gearing right to get optimal chain speed and go to work.
How loud are your electric saws?

Magicman

I regularly use my Ryobi 40 volt brushless chainsaw for trail clearing, etc.  It is very handy and I have never run the battery down.  It does for me what it was designed to do.

But no way would it be compared to a gasoline powered saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Awesomesince72 on February 19, 2017, 10:02:26 PM
With the ttorque of electric motors I would think it's just a matter of getting the gearing right to get optimal chain speed and go to work.
No louder than any electric motor.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jesper Jepsen

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 20, 2017, 02:12:04 AM
Quote from: Awesomesince72 on February 19, 2017, 10:02:26 PM
No louder than any electric motor.

Well thats only when running without chain :) An electric chainsaw makes almost as much noise as a normal gasoline powered saw, most of the noise comes from the air around the chain and the chain cutting. The only way to reduce the noise is running the chain slower.

In Denmark Stihl marketing there MSA 200 as it can be used without hearing protection well all saws can that but the rules are simple, to operate a chainsaw you have to wear hearing protection so you can't use it with out. Another thing is that 95db as the MSA 200 is rated for gives you permanent hearing damage if you are regular exposed to it so. There is no golden thing regarding noise when using it but there is total silence when the chain aren't running and that make it ideal for some uses.

95db is that noise that a subway train makes at 200ft..

smmyb123

In the US Stihl has just come out with a new line of lithium ion powered products. They are awesome. Visit a dealer and check them out, the technology has certainly come a long way.

Also... Your initial build stats are very generous and weigh-in undershot. Most battery powered equipment is rather light when you take the battery pack out as that is where most of the "powerplant" weight comes from, and even lighter when the driven assembly (i.e. bar and chain) is removed as that is usually about half of the total weight of the unit.

Al_Smith

Most battery operated tools are fine for short duration jobs .Some certainly are powerful enough .

A battery operated chainsaw would probably be the ticket for light trimming jobs,maybe some light firewood .I however would not care to tackle a 3 feet diameter oak with one .  --besides that I love the scream of a 2 cycle engine .

sprucebunny

I looked up that battey powered Stihl.
A battery for it that they claim lasts 45 minutes is $160. $320 for the saw. Didn't find the charger. No kit.
Pretty much lost interest at the weight. Eleven pounds for the powerhead. My MS 192 is 8 pounds.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!