iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

strawberries

Started by caveman, February 17, 2017, 10:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Our FFA chapter sold 375 flats of strawberries yesterday and today.  When it gets near the end of the season here, the packing houses become very particular about the berries they accept.  On a pallet, which has 108 flats, if there is a berry or two that is bruised, they will reject the whole pallet.  The grower is responsible for picking up the rejected berries.  A local grower gives us some of their rejected berries and we sell them as a fund raiser for our FFA chapter.  These berries are super sweet.  My wife picked up 12 flats today for her office and for us at home.
Caveman

sawguy21

Now that just ain't fair. :(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

In the winter time, the Florida berries are the best. I'll give you that. We have some here at the house now. But in the summer, they can't stand up to our own northern berries in season I'm afraid. ;)

And that sounds just like a processor, if I ever seen one. Too cheap to train someone to pick out a bad berry in a thousand or find ways to steal 20 % of the crop.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

While I was stationed in Albany GA at the USMC base there a buddy and I were carpooling and a guy was selling strawberries off a truck and marked them down about half price because they were dead ripe. We stopped and bought 6-8 flats thinking the wives would be so happy with our gesture. Wrong! They had to stop what they were doing and immediately make preserves out of what they could not pawn off on other neighbors. Of course they chastised us most severe the whole time till they were finished.

Reminds me we still have 2-3 gallons in the freezer my son picked out of his flower bed garden at the end of the season last year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

Nice ripe strawberries make an excellent wine.  smiley_alcoholic_01
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

I've been eating fresh Plant City Berries for a week and a half nonstop! Have a produce stand walking distance.  ;D ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

I've been looking for them.
Raider Bill,How much are they?
We have a upick about 15 minutes from here. I worked for him one year. Use to have strawberries for breakfast. delish!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

:'( We won't see fresh berries before June.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

And then there is the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula, LA.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MFinity

...and here we are, garden under a foot of snow... strawberries MONTHS away... <sob>  :snowball:

caveman

Plant City, which is a few miles away and in Hillsborough County has a Strawberry Festival.  It will begin next month.  It is a fair with animals, rides and lots of concerts.  When our FFA chapter won the National FFA Forestry Contest in 2015, the team was invited to walk in the Strawberry Festival Parade (the whole town basically shuts down for a few hours during the parade).

These were some that I bought.  I had to mix them with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. 
Caveman

WDH

We had strawberries and ice cream this weekend.  My grand daughter loved it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MFinity

stop it stop it yer killin me  :'(

trapper

Where is the best place to buy them when we are in the area next month?  Some i have purchased in flea markets in the past havnt had much flavor.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

caveman

The road side stands should be about as good a place as any and a lot cheaper than the grocery stores.  Buy ripe ones, they are sweeter than the unripe berries ;D.
Caveman

Raider Bill

We paid $8.00 a flat last week. Will be getting a couple more this week and freezing them.

http://www.flstrawberryfestival.com/headline-entertainment/

caveman

I got word a little while ago that we will have over 150 more flats to move tomorrow.  I suspect we will sell them for $5 a flat. 
Caveman

sprucebunny

Geesh... Plant City strawberries on sale last week for $2/pound.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raider Bill

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 20, 2017, 05:06:58 PM
Geesh... Plant City strawberries on sale last week for $2/pound.
A POUND!!! DanG it!

thecfarm

A flat?
I pick about 10 pounds for $20 come July.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

A flat should weigh about 8 pounds.
Caveman

thecfarm

Much better prices in FL.

petefrom bearswamp

Got back from FL on Saturday.
Sold our FL house.
We will miss the Plant City strawberries as well as the ability to keep our vehicle clean for more than 1 hr after washing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 21, 2017, 08:49:55 AM
Got back from FL on Saturday.
Sold our FL house.
We will miss the Plant City strawberries as well as the ability to keep our vehicle clean for more than 1 hr after washing.

Hope to see you [and some more cheese] next year Pete.

Flats of berries are now $5 a flat down from $8 last week. Looks like I'll be freezing strawberries this week.

SwampDonkey

We are eating them here to, CDN $5 for 2 lbs.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!