iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Kidding

Started by Magicman, February 17, 2017, 09:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

No kidding because my today's sawing customer has Goats.

Kids need feeding too!

This one was a showoff.

And also needed some sugar.

Now what is all of the ruckus about?

A Goat trapeze.  Notice the flag flying.

A closeup of the flag.

OK, now what is this??

My customer graciously demonstrates.

Now we have him where we want him!!

Now where is dat FF Goat and those rubber bands??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D You're gonna have David frothing at the mouth.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

They are so cute when they're KIDS!

SwampDonkey

They are cute critters, but I am glad they are in someone elses' care.

Something ain't right with a guy self shackled and about to be strung.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

Den is right - they are cute when kids. Then they grow up to be nastier than a politician (which is what I named my Billy goats after). They are great for cleaning out a patch of brush. They would rather eat briers and multi-flora roses than alfalfa hay. And they will clean up everything they can reach standing on their hind legs, or ride down if a small bush and will climb any leaning trees. I heard about the guy who restored a vintage ragtop mustang and came out and found his whole flock of goats on top of it and top in tatters.

We bought bottle goats about like the ones Lynn is holding, raised one to a big 200 lb Alpine billy. I put in new fencing but no gates yet. My goats got out (another thing they like to do so you need a good old stable lazy nanny for the others to hang around) and my wife and Norwegian exchange student home for a visit went out to look for them. She found them and took the wire apart at the splice, got the billy by the collar and led him through. Then she turned around to get an old nanny and the billy attacked her, and beat her up pretty badly till Ruth came over and the two got him under control, tied him to a tree with Ruth's belt. Turns out Becky had a dislocated shoulder and a year or so later finally had to get screws in her shoulder to fix it. They are in there to this day.

It takes a good tight web fence to hold goats. Barbed wire and electric never worked for us. I had one old nanny (Gumdrop) I cut a tree on, she survived and delivered twins a month later, got hung in a fork of a tree and I thought she was going to lose that leg but many months later she quit carrying it and used it normally, she got a piece of electric fence hung on one ankle and stayed tied to a tree in the pasture several days before we figured out something was wrong, got out and was sleeping in front of 4WD Ford truck (Last Ford I will likely own) and teenage son came from the rear, jumped in and ran right over her. Straddled her and knocked her for a loop but she survived. Finally died of old age.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

Best way to tell where a goat will go through a fence is with water. If the water can get through so can the goat.  >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Den Socling on February 17, 2017, 11:01:05 PM
They are so cute when they're KIDS!
I agree, quite frightening when they grow up as we all have seen here.

Better a customer with goats than a goat with customers :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

starmac

The picture of that stanchion sure brings back memories. Milking the goats, was probably my least favorite and in some ways the most demanding chore I had growing up. It was not like you could take a day off, morning or evening.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

I guess I had good goats. I had 3 and never had a problem with them. Accept that they wanted to be around us,if we was outside. I wish I had a picture of my slab fence.  ::) Yep,used slabs from the mill and built a pen for them. Only got out twice,each time I was trying to built a gate to get the tractor into the pen. I gave that idea up.It was a good size pen,30 by 40 feet. I would get some more again,as long as they was bottle fed. We finished off bottle feeding 2 and then we got a third one that was full grown. She really liked me. She would follow me all over the place. If any of them got into something I did not want them to have I would sharply say,out out out and they would leave it alone. I really miss having goats.
Maybe being around grits has something to do with the behaving part. Not many grits in Maine and the goats are good.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

These are miniature goats that grow to a maximum of 22" tall.  She burns their horns when they are born, so none have horns.

There was excitement on the goat farm today.

These two newborns are less than an hour old and are getting to see each other for the first time.

She was sad that they were both "boys" because they produce no milk or babies.  They have a market for goat's milk.  The one that I was holding yesterday was sold today and went to a new home. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

When we had goats we got a couple of milk goats and I am firmly convinced a good milk goat can provide all the milk a normal family would ever need and produce it while eating briers and other trash plants off the place. We even had one that loved to eat thistles. If I could have bred for those genes I'd have had a gold mine.

I saw a special one time where a guy had a box truck or stock trailer with a loading ramp he would drop and he had a flock of 40-50 goats he transported from place to place. He had a contract with the state or county to clear the brush around bridges and overpasses where it was too steep and rough and they could not keep them cleared with normal equipment. He'd release the goats and had 2-3 very well trained herding dogs (Australian shepherds or border collies or such) to keep them contained. Once they had browsed the area down pretty close he'd whistle and the dogs would chase them back to the truck and they 'd move to the next site. The dogs were the key to the operation.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Den Socling

I showed Patti a picture of your kids. She says they don't look anything like you.  :D

tree-farmer

So what is the exchange rate, how many goat do you get per 1000 board feet?
They are So cute!
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

barbender

I would love to see Poston in that stanchion! ;D
Too many irons in the fire

sandhills

Better watch what you ask for we've seen him in a dress before!  :D

Chuck White

Agreed, the kids are cute, but they turn into goats!   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

And that's baaaaaaaaad. 
Say when

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 19, 2017, 04:03:42 PM
    I saw a special one time where a guy had a box truck or stock trailer with a loading ramp he would drop and he had a flock of 40-50 goats he transported from place to place.

There is one or two outfits out here that do land clearing.  We can get overrun with blackberries if it is the least bit wet and tall dry grass in the summer is a fire danger.  I see them set up with a little travel trailer, solar powered hot wire and probably 50-75 goats in a 5 to 10 acre area to be cleared.  They munch it down in less than a week.  Pretty good racket if you ask me.  He raises goats (sells some for meat?), gets paid to clear some land, the goats fertilize it ;) so it grows good next year and needs to be cleared again :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!