iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about upgrading my processor

Started by logman81, February 17, 2017, 07:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Well as some of you know i purchased a new wallenstein firewood processor this past year.  It has been a great machine for me and has worked for me pretty good. It has boosted up my production and has made some money for me but its time to up  grade. I have been doing some research on a few different processors to replace it with.
Precision Firewood & Logging

lopet

Too small, too slow ?  Or what is it you don't like on it, or why upgrade ?
Just think it would be interesting for people who are looking at the wallenstein products.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

barbender

Had too long :D Logman gets a little fidgety when he owns something for more than 6 months ;D
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Well my deman has increased yet again. So im having trouble keeping up a little. And i am getting tired of having to stop and fuel up the saw. It has nothing to do with me being fidgety its lack of production.

dave_dj1

Well I guess that's not a bad thing, to be busy.
What model do you have?

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

logman81

hedgerow

Might want to consider a remote fuel and oil tank for the saw.

logman81

This machine isn't worth the effort to modify it. Im hoping to be bought out by Clayton at brute force manufacturing and get one of thier model 16-24 processors.

OH logger

I would look at cord king too. not that high price for the features and production in my opinion
john

logman81

I heard from several people that they are junk but idk. And brute force may be buying my machine but nothing has happened yet.

OH logger

seriously?? I have my  eye on a bar and chain model 24-30. I hope your wrong
john

logman81

Yes seriously, they won't return my calls so the heck with them. Bells is also a very good well made machine but a little pricey.

lopet

I wouldn't call cord king  junk.  They've had some problems with welds on the earlier models but claim they have them fixed now.
Also heard of unhappy customers and calling cord king names, but those were mostly operators fault. On those big machines with several tons of force you can brake pretty well anything if you run it without common sense.
Some dealers are just not interested when they know there is a trade in.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

r.man

I think Cord King and Bell are linked by design or builders?? Someone started in one and then opened the other up almost across the road so I expect they are similar. I look at designs and try to guess how hard it would be to fix or replace things because I know who is going to be doing it if I own it. Over the years I have modified numerous pieces of machinery with simple changes to make it easier to fix the first time or the next. Very often just access problems related to looks or just poor planning. I would prefer to talk to someone who has owned the same machine for a number of years and is running it how I wanted to run it, ie full time/part time/hired help etc.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

logman81

Im hoping to get a brute force machine they are well maid.

chance33

I bought an older used Wood Beaver-16 and love it. Saw the newer model at the Paul Bunyan show and wish I could upgrade. Think they are a good machine and reasonable priced.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

logman81

Nice hey whatever works and does the job.

burlbark

Quote from: logman81 on March 05, 2017, 06:38:43 AM
Nice hey whatever works and does the job.

I have been looking into purchasing a Wallenstein 835. I dont have the capital to purchase a big machine and all of the support equipment needed.

Just hoping to get some positive feedback. This 6-10 cord a week by hand is starting to kill me.

Wallys World

I have the 835. 2 weeks ago we did around 4 cords in 6 hours. I run a Stihl MS440 with semi chisel chain. The wood we cut up on that Saturday had some mud on it and the chain did fine up to the last hour. Most of the wood was 20 - 40 feet long 6" - 18" diameter oak, maple, and poplar. See my post on the processor.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90860.msg1399301.html#msg1399301
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

burlbark

Quote from: Wallys World on March 27, 2017, 07:58:42 PM
I have the 835. 2 weeks ago we did around 4 cords in 6 hours. I run a Stihl MS440 with semi chisel chain. The wood we cut up on that Saturday had some mud on it and the chain did fine up to the last hour. Most of the wood was 20 - 40 feet long 6" - 18" diameter oak, maple, and poplar. See my post on the processor.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90860.msg1399301.html#msg1399301

Nice... That thread was one that had me leaning towards the Wallenstein. I cut and split another 2 cord today by hand and I am really not liking the wear and tear on me. I have to load in the morning and have 2 buddies coming over that I pay to help. I would love to be a one man show.

logman81

They are a ok processor for someone just started out in firewood on a larger scale. Definitely need some improvements to a few things and are not made for high volume firewood production.

Thank You Sponsors!