iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small table saw

Started by Darrel, February 17, 2017, 12:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

My son-in-law is in the Airforce and this summer he is being sent over seas for probably 4 years. Anyway, my daughter has asked me to come do some finish carpentry work so they can sell their house.  Which brings me to my point. 

I'm going to need a table saw and I don't want to hall either of mine the 700 miles.  Is their one of those little contractor's table saws like they sell at Home Depot that's worth using for finish work. I don't want to take my work truck that's has 300k miles on it so I want something I can load in the back of my wife's Subaru Outback along with a few other tools.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bluthum

I've had a makita portable for maybe 14 years that has done anything I ever asked of it. Easy to load and move around. But saws in that class are kind of pricey compared to some. I've used many off brands and portable mid grades that other people have supplied and have been pleasantly surprised  with them all. Ryobi and Hitachi have impressed me as affordable midgrades. Even the low end B&D type saws usually are not  bad.

Savannahdan

I bought a small Ryobi off of CL for a few bucks.  It needed all of it's nuts and bolts tightened.  Didn't get the impression that the previous owner really knew how to use it.  I use it for making stickers and other rough cuts.  Didn't want to use my shop saw for these cuts. Not sure I'd use the Ryobi for trim work.  I have a SIL in construction and he uses the Ridgid contractor portable saw.  Make sure whatever you get that you put a good blade on it.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

sawguy21

Watch the auctions. I picked up an old Beaver 7" for ten bucks, it was heavy enough to stay put when I was cutting yet portable. Sold it for $25 when I got a contractor 10" for free.
I rented a so called 'contractor' model (Ridgid)when I re did our travel trailer. The thing was junk. It was too light, insisted on tipping when I was trying to rip. I had to remove the riviing knife, the wood jammed and kicked back, and the fence would not stay square.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bruno of NH

Can't beat the Dewalt small contractor saws.
I got the smallest one they make its a great little saw :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the small contractor saws and have thought that for the most part they were cheaply made. I'll take another look especially at the Dewalt. I'll be checking out Craigslist this weekend.
1992 LT40HD

sumday

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 17, 2017, 02:31:17 PM
Can't beat the Dewalt small contractor saws.
I got the smallest one they make its a great little saw :)

X2 on the DeWalt. I've had mine for probably 15 years, used in full time construction, and still working great. DeWalt has the best fence that I've seen on the small portables.

tawilson

I just ordered a Kobalt on a wheeled stand. $279 with 10% off.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Bruno of NH

The Dewalt has a rack and pinion fence
The best
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

MFinity

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 17, 2017, 06:36:56 PM
The Dewalt has a rack and pinion fence
The best
hhhmmmmmm... nice to know... *write*write*write*

Darrel

So much for shopping Craigslist for a portable table saw. Was too busy and too lazy to get it done.
1992 LT40HD

21incher

I had a 8 1/4 inch Makita one that I recently sold on Craigslist. It was basically a circular saw mounted upside-down under the table that worked pretty well.  It had a spot to mount a router under the table that used the saw fence. It was great for portable work with the right blade. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

You can't beat the makita for power the 8 1/4 will run for ever but the fench stinks

Hilltop366

Could look into renting one when you get there if it is practical.

Darrel

Now I like that idea. And if I like the portable saw I rent well enough and I think I'd use it enough to make it worth my while, I'll buy one.
1992 LT40HD

Dakota

You might be able to buy it from the rental company.  Sometimes they'll do that when they are upgrading their rental inventory.
Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!