iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Holly

Started by Den-Den, February 18, 2017, 07:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

A simple hollow form from some pretty wood. I almost refused this wood when it was offered to me; "Been down over a year" and it looked terrible. Holly usually turns grey soon after being felled and rarely remains solid for a year around here. The outside of the log had some cracks and the ends had a lot of cracks. I took a fairly large piece and found that it was a treasure after I got it home and cut into it. This is about 9" diameter and is finished with rattle can lacquer.

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

Greyhound

WOWSER!  Talk about CONTRAST.  I've always known holly as the purest, whitest, evenest colored and grained wood available.  This is the opposite of everything I've ever known about holly.  An it is absolutely spectacular.

Larry

Very nice. :)

I think the shape quite pleasing to my eye.  The turner did an excellent job. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ron barnes

Savannahdan

Excellent!  Lots of rivers of spalt giving it that unique look.  Great job on it.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

samandothers

WOW! beautiful job.  Thanks for sharing it.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MFinity

Wow, that is stunning. Looks like marble!

21incher

That is just amazing. Thanks for sharing.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

cbla

bucknwfl

Beautiful.  Looks a lot like spaltes river birch

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Darrel

smiley_clapping and that my friend is why I never turn down a gift of wood without opening it  smiley_clapping
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!