iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, we done it

Started by Rick-Wi, April 05, 2002, 04:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick-Wi

Be heading out to Tn next week to pick up our mill. 1998 Cook's Accu-Trac. Deal fell through on the TimberKing, so the Cook's was the next in line.. Now have a bunch of learning in front of us.

Anyone around Henderson, Tn?

Rick-Wi

Tom

Rick,
You did good.  I looked at the Accutrac from Cook's about 4 years ago and have wished on occasion that I had gone that route,  Tim Cook and family "knocked off" the Timber Harvester (with TH's blessings) and began to add accessories and modifications to it.  When you start with a "good" mill and improve it you're on the right tract for a superb machine.  You will find that their ideas on cant kickers, run arounds, and various other ideas may give you a benefits that you haven't even recognized as of yet.

My problem at the time was the loose hydraulic hoses.   If the mill is to be stationary or used on Farms then there shouldn't be much problem.  I have to set up in the front yard of million dollar homes sometimes and didn't think it would help my professional image.

They also make a super sharpener and the blade holder on their setter is second to none.  I buy my Simonds blades from them and have found them to be a great company.

Bud Man

Rick-Wi   Memphis Tn. is 80 miles from Henderson, Tn.  due west on I-40  You maybe coming down I-55 to Memphis then I-40 to Henderson ?? Bring some of that Wisconsin Cheese ,Tell me when, and I'll meet you and  buy you A Southern Bar B Q Rib Dinner  ;) and point you in the right direction.  I think I talked to the people you bought the 98 Accutrac from, they were listed in sawmill exchange and had an edger and 80 blades to go with set-up and sharpener ??
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

woodman

Today i e mailed for info on there automatic cat claw 2002. Heard good things about Cook Saw.Sorry not going to Tn.
Jim Cripanuk

Rick-Wi

Bud Man.. Were you located in Memphis Tn?  Just might meet you theer on the night over?

Rick-Wi

Rick-Wi

BTW Bud Man, I dirnk Miller..But I need Biscuits and gravy in the morning?

Rick-Wi

Bud Man

Ric-Wi  Live in Germantown about 5 miles South of Exit #17 on I-40 East bound. E-mail me and we'll make arrangements. What day you coming thru ??
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bud Man

Ric- Wi  I'm sure I can accomodate what ever brand you choose !!

Rick-Wi

Bud man, you just a cheddar person, or exotic like blue cheese?

Bud Man

Keep It simple and inexpensive, ain't no con-a sewer suprise me !!

Rick-Wi

Bud Man.. No problem.. I elighten you sothern boys to what good cheese is.. now if you ridge runners will turn me on to a good BBQ all the better.. Give me a addy # I think we can do a small detour to Memphis area..

Rick-Wi

Bud Man

Rick-Wi  Look in yer messages  I sent ya all the particulars   Phone #  and address   Message or e-mail me back and we'll do it

Rick-Wi

BudMan,

Looks like we will not get to meet. Heading out late morning, and will not get there till after 10:00 PM. Will be coming right back on Wendsday.

Rick-Wi

Bud Man

Travel carefully friend, maybe next time, Happy Sawing  ;)

Bud Man

Ric-Wi  You missed me and left us all hanging.  Did ya make It back to Wisconsin and have ya made any sawdust yet ?? ;)

Rick-Wi

Well we back, Nice to see green grass and leaves on the trees. Back here the grass is brown. 1540 miles and 23.5 hrs behind the wheel in two days. Started off as a trip shouldn't. Fueled truck whent in to get the Plow and salter off and heard Click click.. Nothing happened.. 20 min later found lose battery cable. Didn't leave here till 9:30 am. then got to henderson after some detours at 11:00 Pm. up at 6:00 Am. Went to breakfast and then to see the saw. Saw was a mess. Spent the next 3 Hrs checking it out, back home at 11:45 PM, and still don't have a clue as to if it was worth it. Today spent just pressure washing, greasing, changing oil, and filters. Need parts, and more cleaning before I will run it. It looks as if it hasn't been run in at least a year, maybe more. Never shedded, just cover over engine and controls. I am over 50 and I still can't fiqure out why people buy good equipment and then don't take care or it.. then ask top dollar when the try and sell? We settled on less then asking price but we will be putting more into it before we can cut our first board.

Rick-Wi

Rick-Wi

Oh, And the other thing that really P.Oed me was I didn't get no Biscuits and gravy for breakfast and all the BBQ places were closed by the time we got to TN

Bud Man

Better thee than me, mill must trailer well to take I guess half of 1540 miles. Cook's Accutrac's  look like their built to resemble a tank, the one I looked at weighed right at 6,000 lbs. Hope It cleans up and proves to suit your milling needs, let us know how it works out, Good Luck !!

timberbeast

Keep us posted,  Rick!  Sounds like quite an adventure!  Might be the mill's just got weather on it and will clean up nice.  Most good stuff does.   :)
Where the heck is my axe???

Rick-Wi

Well it is running, nothing cut yet but will try it tomorrow. Lots of little problems corrected. First none of the electronics worked. Traced it to the wire coming to the fuse was broke off, resoldered that on and got the mill to go. Then one of the idler sprocket was froze, and the chain for the head wraped around itself. Got that fixed and got my finger caught between chain and sprocket when it released. Concrete is now the same color as the saw. Got it running up and down, but one chain was tighter then the other, had to take the slack out of the chain on one side. Lots of other little ajustments made. Next we will have to set the guides on the saw. Looks like the adjustable guide has to be raised, as it is causing the blade to dip, down. I will work on that tomorrow too. It will also need a new band wheel cover, as the Cook's are made of plywood that shouldn't be to bad either. Only other thing that I saw was that the motor runs rough. So we will pull out the gas and put in new gas. Also plugs, and a tune up might be needed.

I will keep you posted, so far so good.
Rick-Wi

Tom

Rick,

There is a procedure to follow to get the blade level with the mill and the guides level with the blade.  If you don't have instructions from cook and don't know how to do it.  Make sure you talk to them before you get it too far out of wack.  It's not rocket science nor difficult once you've done it but if you've never done it you need instructions.

This is one area that can't be 'good enough' .  It is either right or it's wrong and your mill will tell you real quick as soon as the blade enters the log.

Rick-Wi

OK, We making sawdust. Still have some adjustments to do, and need to get wipers on the carrage. We did a 28" x 14' red oak log. Went good, only one mistake, the carradge was moving to fast so I stopped the saw and adjusted the feed. Then accedentaly hit the reverse, and took the blade off the wheels. Opps. No damage so all is well.

Rick-Wi

Tom

You'll do that with 10 years of experience Rick.  Wait till you do it in front of a bunch of customers and have to hide a red face.  "blush"  

I learned a little from my cat.  When he isn't paying attention and falls off of the back of the couch, he walks away like, "I meant to do that."

Rick-Wi

This is the second log sawed yesterday. 14 ft long, and 26 in. small end. This is a White Oak Log.

This is the cant I got out of the log. 17 x 16 inches and 14 foot long.

Rick-Wi

Bud Man

Ric-Wi  What model AccuTrac is that , I thought they were all double axle monsters ??

Thank You Sponsors!