iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giving up on the 1400

Started by overclocking, February 15, 2017, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overclocking

Well after fighting to keep the air channels on the 1400 clean I have given up. The side channels are clogged solid and I can't get it out. The back corner on the right side is completely obstructed now and there is zero air flow on that side. The left side I keep running a drill with a brush through it, but it is also almost completely closed up. Why they ever made the design that you can't clean out is beyond me. Anyway, I am hoping I can limp it through to the spring with just the back 6 air holes. Then in spring I am going to cut out the air channels and make my own plates that I can remove or make access panels in the back for the channels.

I contacted the local dealer and they told me they only make the kits for the 2300 boilers, so I am going to have to fabricate something for next year.

Unfortunately, it eats twice as much wood when it is smoldering and barely gassing.

Cleaning those tiny ports out has not been a pleasant task.

anyone else with a 1400 share this experience?

Roger2561

Hi overclocking - I feel your pain.  I too have the 1400, this is my 6th season heating my house with it.  The air channels on both sides have always been a PITA to keep clear of build up.  Like you, I religiously clean them only to have them fill again a couple of days later.  When you modify yours, can you catalog via pictures or videos on how you removed the old air channel and fabricated the new?  I have a plasma cutter so the removal of the old channel will not be a problem.  I'm wondering if you can borrow the design that CB came up with for the 2300?  The biggest problem I'm having is the air channel on the left side is coming apart at the welds and beginning to warp in other areas too, so hopefully you can offer some pictures of what you come up with, I may copy it.   ;)   Roger     
Roger

overclocking

Thanks for the reply Roger. I will take pictures and document the install.

Its unfortunate that I have to do this, mine is on its 5th season. So far the cement where the rods go in the center has totally cracked apart and has began falling into the reaction chamber. The primary air solenoid has went out twice, the 24v ac transformer blew,  the water level sensor leaked on the hi limit switch and melted the wiring, the upper frame under the door seal has began to rust out and I have had to clean the air channels every other day.

The dealer said modifying the boiler voids the warranty, but at this point I dont see it lasting half of its 30 year warranty anyway and I don't see them covering the design flaw under it either.  None of this stuff can be attributed to wood quality, since most is unrelated. I run it hot too, 190 set temp, and its heating over 4000sq feet, so its not spending too much time at idle allowing the creosote to build up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the performance of the boiler when its working as intended, as I'm sure anyone with a 1400 does.  Most of this small stuff is wear and tear from use and the parts were easy to replace. The air channel problem though is unavoidable and just frustrating. I will likely purchase a newer Model CB when this one expires, I think this one was just plagued by early design flaws. When it gasses it works, it is like a godsend, but when it doesn't its not very fun to climb into and clean.

Roger2561

That panel on the floor of the 1400, the one on my unit is broken into approximately 8 pieces now.  CB has told me it's nothing to worry about.  In the spring when I thoroughly clean the 1400, I use extreme caution not to break it any worse then it is.  There was someone else on a forum which I cannot remember, had to completely cut out the air channel due to it being completely plugged.  He replaced it with black pipe and put holes in strategic places so it would provide the air flow necessary to gasify.  He said it's easy to remove to clean and if the pipe breaks down it's easily changed.  I look forward to seeing how you fix the problem on your unit.  Roger   
Roger

Thank You Sponsors!