iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying related movement in 3/4" green poplar

Started by scsmith42, March 02, 2017, 09:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

We're working with a custom milling customer to try to maximize their square foot yield of 1/2" finished thickness x 4" - 5" poplar lumber.  The lumber will be S4S (skip planed on one side) after drying and installed as ceiling boards with a 1/2" or so relief in-between them. 

The customer delivered about 1,400 board feet of 12'6" long logs and we're exploring options for increasing his sq. ft yield of material.

I'm thinking of milling it at 3/4" green, stickering on 12" centers and weighting the tops of the stacks with concrete slabs to produce 250 psf of downforce.

I've successfully done this before with QS red oak and had minimal problems with wood movement; however I'm wondering if there are any greater chances of the poplar board to warp or crook while drying.

Does anybody have any experience with drying 3/4" poplar?

Thanks.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have dried some years ago.  Your ideas are perfect, and I would add that you want to dry it as fast as possible to help minimize warp.  Of course, equalizing to prevent over drying is needed...probably avoid EMCs under 5.0% EMC at any time in drying.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Don P

Typical siding on old houses around here was 5/8x6. Judging from the quantity they must have had good success. A local millwork shop has made us kd replacement material by resawing 5/4.

scsmith42

Gene and Don, thanks much for the feedback.

Don, I debated about milling for 5/4 and then resawing, but am concerned regarding any cupping that may result if the core to shell MC% is not perfect on every board. 

We're on a tight timeframe with this order and if I can successfully keep the boards flat and straight at 3/4" then it should dry quicker.

Don P

The one thing I can say from experience, I was on a tight schedule (tight schedules exist in a place between our ears) and put up 5/8x6 that I knew wasn't dry enough. With the sun on one side and a wall on the other it proved the old saying, never time to do it right, always time to do it twice.

scsmith42

Quote from: Don P on March 03, 2017, 09:14:52 AM
The one thing I can say from experience, I was on a tight schedule (tight schedules exist in a place between our ears) and put up 5/8x6 that I knew wasn't dry enough. With the sun on one side and a wall on the other it proved the old saying, never time to do it right, always time to do it twice.

LOL.  Amen brother!

Cazzhrdwd

I think you'll be fine with it, I've dried thousands of feet of Poplar and the only concern I'd have is warp. I get more warp from fast growing heavy white wood Poplar than Saw logs that have large hearts and tight growth rings.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Thank You Sponsors!